Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: RugbyWA Conduct Committee Findings

vCash
    I like your optimism Jargen, but I would put money on the punishment being different if it were an eastern states player

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Laugh and the world laughs with you.......
    ......cry and you'll weaken your beer

vCash
    Trust me i won't be holding my breath when (not if) it happens

vCash
    *sigh* i wasn't going to say anything but i feel too gutted to not. I have to agree with gotheforce and eley on this one. It is a massive loss for us and i'm disappointed rugbywa sacked him. I think the media and the ARU had far more influence than we think. I hope Henjak and the team can pick themselves up from this. I don't care what sharpie says...the team will be gutted. Also i think Haig's reaction is interesting to note. He may have been sitting down when that final blow was thrown but that still doesn't explain Henjak's face...

vCash
    The question has to be asked would the Force have sacked him if the ARU hadn't arked up and then threatened to intervene if they weren't happy with the punishment?

Also have to agree with Jehna, espeacially in regards to the comment about Henjaks face post fight, if your sitting down i doubt you can throw a decent punch, definately not after having your jaw broken.

I doubt if we will ever get a full account of what occured at the Left Bank that night

Player
    vCash
    I think irrespective of whether the punishment fits the crime, a bigger issue is the ongoing disruptive force (excuse the pun) that having both these guys in the squad would have. I think it would just destroy the positive vibe within the team, so I think its imperative that Henjack goes.

Have to say I'm not sure why people think NSW would want him- they have 3 excellent 9s in Sheehan, Valentine and in my opinion best of all, Luke Burgess. Anyone who watched him play for them Rebels would imagine this guy will be playing in a gold jersey before long. 2nd best 9 in country at the moment for mine behind Josh Holmes. If the Force suddenly have 200k to play with for Henjack's contract, why not throw it at him? He would probably get more game time with the Force than the Tahs. Don't see the logic of going back to Young, good though he was.

Or even better- offer the money to Josh Holmes! He's love to come play with his brother I'm sure- and he'd be in a team with much better prospects this year than the Brumbies (of course I'm aware there's absolutely no way they'd release him... )

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    Hey, notice the time on the press release? 2.52 AM. It appeared on the RugbyWA website at about 12.52 AM WDLST. The bloody thing was vetted in Sydney and obviously approved, if not written and posted on the RugbyWA site for them!

Love that independence.

You would think having Mick Earsman on board now that he would exactly how the ARU would want it worded....also probably why it appeared to thank the ARU.

As most of you have said....let's get on with the rugby now.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna View Post
    He may have been sitting down when that final blow was thrown but that still doesn't explain Henjak's face...
    Jehna, I know your reputation as a scrapper has been enhanced here by AUSS, even if mistakenly. But a "king hit" is rarely the final blow in a scrap unless it's the only one. Especially when the one on the receiving end is seated.

Seeing as the reports had the scrap being "taken outside" to the toilets, that plus the fact of the broken jaw and the subsequent state of Henjak's head suggests that Haig Sare is one tough cookie, not to be messed with lightly.

On the penalties, Sare seems to have got off lightly if you believe the press about his "previous alcohol issues". But how many of us take any notice of the press anymore?

I think The Force wasn't left with much choice. I'm sad for Henjak, though. But I think they had to tear up his contract. They should have left the door ajar by maybe offering the chance to sign a new one, after completing some form of assessable rehabilitation/counseling.

vCash
    TEF I agree with you in that Matt has now made his bed and has to lie in it but I don't think that means we should completely wash our hands of him and show no sympathy whatsoever.

His actions were the results of alcohol mismanagement and he has clearly demonstrated over the years that he has a problem with his behaviour when drinking and with anger management.

The problem is not going to go away unless he has the support he needs to get the help required to get his life on track.

This would be the worst time to have everyone turn their back on him as I fear it could have disasterous consequences for him.

Lets be disappointed in him, yes, but lets feel sorry for him and wish him the best too.

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    TEF I agree with you in that Matt has now made his bed and has to lie in it but I don't think that means we should completely wash our hands of him and show no sympathy whatsoever.

His actions were the results of alcohol mismanagement and he has clearly demonstrated over the years that he has a problem with his behaviour when drinking and with anger management.

The problem is not going to go away unless he has the support he needs to get the help required to get his life on track.

This would be the worst time to have everyone turn their back on him as I fear it could have disasterous consequences for him.

Lets be disappointed in him, yes, but lets feel sorry for him and wish him the best too.

I think the problem is he has had the professional support for the last 18months and it has done bugger all to help him. It gives me the S*%ts when people say poor henjak, poor benny (as in cousins) they have problems and need to be helped not punished!!! what a loud of wank these guys are the most looked after people in society when it comes to mental, social, educational, health support! Professional sports clubs are required to look after their players and do so very well.

Maybe this is the problem these guys are too well looked after and a clear dose of reality needs to be dished up to them! Just think about were these guys would be if they didnt play for a professional sports club (jail, dead????) and if they didnt have easy access to the support they get i.e. a normal member of society!!!

Ok rant finished now lets play some rugby!!!

vCash
    I completely agree with you there, they are well and truly looked after and the club has done an amazing job taking care of its players and their on and off field well being.
    But going from having all that support to having the whole organisation, the fans, the administrators, the public all turn their back on you... do you really think that will make the situation better? He knows how much he's let everyone down but he needs to know that if he puts in the hard yards he can make ammends otherwise, where is the incentive to get his life back together?

I don't think he will ever play for the Force again, but I hope that everyone associated with the force will wish him the best as a person. As a player, he has disgraced himself and let down everyone but he's still a real person with insecurities and having the support of the community will go a long way.

Where's the harm in wishing him well?

I made Happy sad...

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna View Post
    ...that still doesn't explain Henjak's face...
    Perhaps, but Devil's advocate, are you saying that:
    • Sare was sitting down, got punched, stood up and flayed Henjak (and props to him if he did, sporting a bust jaw. Glad Henjak didn't tag him again though),
    • Sare gave Henjak a belting, then sat down and so Henjak could punch him, or
    • Sare wasn't sitting down at all and the various witnesses just said that to make things worse for Henjak?

Scratches and the like sound to me like the other half dozen or so players didn't just stand around watching, but grabbed Henjak. But if Sare had nothing to do with it, why was he suspended? It certainly doesn't gel with their statement
    "The Committee was unable to find any justification for that assault which probably caused Haig Sare’s jaw to be broken".
    Eight weeks for retaliation seems a bit stiff, so are they saying they are prepared to suspend players for being involved in anything that causes bad publicity for the Force?

Personally, I am a little surprised they went as far as recommending termination. But if they were going the suspension route, Henjak would have effectively missed the rest of the season anyway and he then would be out of contract. It will however be very interesting to see what action the ARU takes and how they react to any future incidents from any province. These penalties certainly set a new benchmark.

As an aside, the Force doesn't pay all of Henjak's salary so sacking him would only free up perhaps $110k (which I think is about the province maximum under the protocols). The rest would come from the ARU and wouldn't be available for recruitment.

Lastly, and I hesitate to say it, I really hope some account comes out as to what happened. As it stands, the Force has said that Sare was hit while he was sitting down and the papers reported that the fight happened in the toilets. Doesn't sound real good...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Lastly, and I hesitate to say it, I really hope some account comes out as to what happened. As it stands, the Force has said that Sare was hit while he was sitting down and the papers reported that the fight happened in the toilets. Doesn't sound real good...
    Does the Left Bank have seats in the toilets?

vCash
    "The disciplinary committee found that Henjak had "savagely punched" Sare at the hotel 10 days ago. It is understood the argument started inside the hotel, was carried on to the toilets and ended outside in the garden.

Sare was also found guilty of breaching his contract. He was fined $5000 and banned for eight games, but his culpability in the incident was found to be significantly less that Henjak's. "

from Western Force to sack Matt Henjak | PerthNow

So Sare was fined and suspended for breaching the code of conduct not necessarily getting into a punch up.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    It will however be very interesting to see what action the ARU takes...
    I would say RugbyWA made the decision to terminate his contract as a way of putting the ball back in the ARU's court....now they (not RugbyWA) have to decide if the offence (and past incidents) is worth ending a players contract. Over to you ARU.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    The Incentive to get his life back on track and deal with his problems should have come 2 years ago when his last warning about his behaviour was handed to him. What more incentive do you need to be playing a sport you love, getting paid for it and being adored by your fans and community and the realisation that you could lose all that if you stuff up again.

As for community support your average Joe Blow on the streets with alcohol and anger management issues doesn't get support from the community in fact they are usually shunned so why should it be any different for him!

He has bought this situation on himself so now that he has received that ultimate punishment he may just wake up to himself and get his life back on track.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast