Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What Do We Think of the semi-ELV's?

vCash

What Do We Think of the semi-ELV's?

So what is everyone's opinion of the ELV's so far? Having watched the opening three Super matches of the year they certainly seemed to speed to game up.

The hands in the ruck law definantly places more emphasis on support play, as isolated players are turned over almost all the time.

The kicking in the 20 rule has not done much to prevent aerial ping-pong, with every match so far being dominated by back-and-forth kicking contests. The only difference has been less linouts in that respect. Unfortunantly for the force we kicked poorly, and it left us with very few oppurtunities inside the Sharks 22.

The 5m scrum law has not had a great impact yet as all three games so far have had little out-and-out backline attack (all bar the Crusaders), but I believe it has the potential to open up much more opportunity for aggressive backline rugby.

Also, I am undecided on the emphasis on the short arm. Whilst it does speed up the play of the game dramatically, and there have only been a handful of penalties in each match so far, it possibly is not enough punishment for some of the offences being committed. I thought maybe the short arm should be adapted so that the team can kick it out on the full from anywhere on the field, but without receiving the throw.

What does eveyone else think?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Starting to be a fan of the new rules. I like the running rugby, But getting mighty annoyed by referees who aren't sure of the rules and are inconsistent.

I thought Kelvin Deaker for the Force game had a shocker of a game. Inconsistent calls all night on both sides and he seemed like he didn't know that playing the ball on the ground is an offense.

vCash
    Yeah have to agree with you there gotheforce. I thought maybe I'd missed one of the new rules and that now playing the ball on the ground was legal but it's definitely still an offense!

I'm still getting used to the ELVs and it's confusing having different levels of the new laws and so I'm trying to get my head around it all but I think overall it makes the game flow a lot better but I was under the impression they would encourage more running of the ball but in all three aus games yesterday there was just so much kicking. Good old fashioned aerial pingpong.

Hope there is more running of the ball when all the players get used to the new laws but I think they're looking the goods so far.

Still feel sorry for the forwards. Can't just be a big fella anymore... gotta run too! Bet OMC is glad he's not playing anymore. He was the master of standing around with his hands on his hips doing nothing. Mr Teapot the prop.

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    I think we're gonna be seeing these rules in 1st and 2nd grade games in Perth now. Gonna be a sight to see how our refs adjust to it.

vCash
    Really? I thought they were being adopted by club rugby as a whole. Would suit the bigger, older forwards in the lower grades if they stuck to the old rules. Can't see the 6th grade props running all over the place. Goodness no.

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    I'm not 100% sure, but from what ive heard, the U20s arent adopting it yet, and neither are the lower grades and juniors. But we'll wait and see on the 20th feb when the referees meet.

vCash
    You guys are all talking as if hands in the ruck is allowed....That's one of the ELVs that have been dropped for S14 games. Any Ref who is allowing hands in the ruck at all is in the wrong....My call, The ELVs haven't changed thigs a whole lot, There was still stacks of kicking on offer I think that will always be the case once the forwards are getting tired, I'm also of the opinion that Drew (who got savaged by the SA commentators for not having a right boot) was deliberately counterattacking.......remember we beat up on him all year last year for not kicking the ball out...at the end of the season he complained that he was just following orders. I think that might be one of Mitch's ELV experiments, it makes some sense, coz Drew's pretty slippery, if he can slip one or two tackles and make it up the field, he takes defenders out of the play (offside at the tackle) It didn't seem to work very well last night, but Mitch is famous for sticking to things that we don't understand.

as for the rest of the ELVs they didn't seem to change much, I think the changes will come with refs enforcement... Kelvin Deaker seemed to be a real stickler for the rolling away thing, and that seemed to clean up the rucks last night. when they start getting serious about entry through the gate etc, things will clean up a lot....I think teams are looking to see what they can get away with at the moment.

C'mon the

vCash
    If the hands in the ruck rule is still there, then i think Kelvin Deaker did one of the worst jobs of penalising it. So many times by Pocock and Venter that their hands were in there, and no whistle. All he said was 'Through the gate boys."

vCash
    Maybe so, but that's the rule.......BTW Pocock was surely only doing it until the ruck was formed......he's a good boy!

C'mon the

vCash
    Not all the ELVs have been taken on by S14... the hands in ruck law is still in place.

And while I didn't think Drew had a great game, I too distinctly remember him getting panned for repeatedly kicking it down the opposition's throats, only for him to protest after the season ended that he was doing as he was told! When a player repeatedly makes what appears to be an "interesting" choice, it might not be his choice.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I think these kinds of ELVs are well suited to a team like the Sharks. Lets face it the Sharks are reknowned for their very poor discipline particularly at the breakdown. I've always put this down to them being not smart enough to read a rule book but.... giving tap penalties for all their indiscretions means that they both minimise the advantage to the Force and minimise their risk of getting the old Yellow sticker. There were large tracts of the game I really liked but the start- first 5 minutes was laughable for all its backing and forthing. I think it'll end up a change for the better but there will be a few teething problems for the next few weeks. Got to feel sorry for the Brumbies and Hurricanes- they've really not come to grips with it all yet.

vCash
    the truck and trailer call in the first half last night.
    is that rule part of the ELV's?

vCash
    im all for them, but a bit like the players it'll take a few games for the fans to get used to them........

vCash
    truck and trailer's considered foul play, so a penalty.

vCash
    yeah i got that bit.
    but i hadnt seen it before. was it an existing rule, or one of the ELV's?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast