Thread: Eagles rotten culture revealed

vCash

Eagles rotten culture revealed

I know we've all heard about the Western Force's problems this week. The local media was quick to jump on the "bash the Force bandwagon" but lets not forget that an established club with a better following has its nose positively dripping in s**t from the look of this article, i wonder how the local media will treat this on the news tonight

from FOX SPORTS | Sports news Australia | Australian sports

Eagles rotten culture revealed

February 14, 2008 WEST Coast's internal inquiry into the AFL club's culture has uncovered 35 separate incidents of poor off-field behaviour, involving 13 players, over the last six years.

The results of the report, compiled by former Western Australia deputy premier Hendy Cowan and KPMG executive Steve Scudamore were released, after the pair were given unfettered access to the Eagles structure, including ex-players, following a string of controversies which culminated in Ben Cousins' sacking last year.

After speaking to more than 50 parties, the report said incidents of poor behaviour included links between two players - Cousins and former teammate Michael Gardiner - and Perth underworld figures, along with assaults, drug and alcohol abuse and inappropriate language in public.

It also revealed two West Coast players behaved poorly during AFL drug testing procedures in 2007, and similar poor behaviour during an AFL "Respect and Responsibility" education session in the same year.

Chairman Mark Barnaba admitted the report proved senior officials did not act quickly enough or swiftly enough to address problems at the club.

But it has also concluded that since the end of 2006, the club had taken necessary steps to improve its position "and is well placed to go forward".

In the executive summary of the report, Cowan and Scudamore concluded that prior to November 2006, the culture of the player group was one of arrogance and risk-taking by a small number of influential players.

They said more should have been done by the club, in contact with the AFL and the AFL Players Association.

Since November 2006 - when senior officials realised they had a problem following the premiership win - a number of initiatives has been undertaken by the club, including new board members, a consultant on drug and alcohol and a discussion document on illicit drugs for the AFL.

The report recommends a possible addendum could be made to a standard AFL player contract, requiring players to adhere to core values of a club, and develop more initiatives to provide players with more exposure to the outside world.

AAP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    See? There's always Cousin Worseoff.

vCash
    Well doesn't WA just look like the party and bad-boy centre of Australia now???
    And who said we were Dullsville?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Now to suggest that, given the success of the review, the same team be given equivalent access to the other AFL clubs. Start with those clubs that had players that tested positive for drugs - how bad must they be when the Eagles never did?

vCash
    The channel ten news spun this as an important step forward for the club....in the same breath saying the club wouldn't act on Chad Morrison's drug-fuelled collapse in the US because it happened out of season!

Since Channel 10 is saying that both Haig and Henners contracts are going to be torn up on Tuesday I can't fathom where the double standard comes from.

I also don't understand why the police are going to approach Haig and ask if he wants to make a complaint. Are they going to approach Matt?

C'mon the

vCash
    Channel AFL did the same GIGS, an important step into the future for the club was one of the quotes. I think its a joke how they can publisise the Force incident and then approach the Eagles stuff from the exact opposite angle. Do i have to remind anyone (the media) of a fight between Cousins and Kerr that saw Kerr's arm broken??

I thought that the police are ones who usually get approached not vice versa? I smell the foul stench of the ARU or the media.

vCash
    its what happens in an AFL state.