Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wild west has plenty of sand to bury heads

vCash

Thumbs down Wild west has plenty of sand to bury heads

Good grief this is a dramatic, sensationalised article. Makes the whole organisation out to be deviants! Have a read... it's horrible!

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...760297979.html

Jacquelin Magnay | February 13, 2008

THE Western Force are the club that initially tried to cover up the disturbing "quokka shocker" animal cruelty of Scott Fava and Richard Brown.

The same club that was part of a secret $15,000 payment, after which a 2004 South African complaint of assault against Matt Henjak went away and assault charges were dropped. A club that so fiercely protects its players that allegations that Henjak assaulted the former chief executive's son and, in another incident, offended a woman, were dealt with internally. A club that has denied that there was another alleged assault on a club employee by players, including Henjak.

This is the same club that lured players to the west with secret illegal deals worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. This is the wild, wild west. So it is not surprising to learn the Force have taken no action - indeed they have been complicit in trying to play down the ugly behaviour of Henjak and teammate Haig Sare. The WA police are not involved, and they say they are powerless to investigate unless a complaint is made. And one of the men involved, Sare, can't talk at the moment for his jaw is wired.

In the latest incident, Henjak and Sare, who was expected to start the season opener against the Sharks in South Africa on Saturday morning Sydney time, took to each other in the men's toilets of the The Left Bank in Fremantle last Sunday. Henjak was left with injuries to his left arm, deep scratches to his neck and a fat ear.

Sare suffered a broken jaw - identified only when he saw the club doctor on Monday morning. By that afternoon he was on the operating table and had a plate inserted. The Force tried their old trick - the cover-up. They named both Henjak and Sare in their touring team leaving yesterday, knowing Sare would be out at least three months.

After persistence from the Herald and The West Australian newspaper, which coincidentally had planned a feature on Sare, the club issued a press release claiming there was an "altercation". The Force refused to name the players. The newly installed chief executive, Mitch Hardy wouldn't talk to anyone. The chairman, Geoff Stooke, was in hospital for his own private tests.

The club spokesman was saying Hardy and Stooke would conduct an internal review. Now the club says it will take a couple of weeks of investigation from a disciplinary committee before any action is taken. Does anyone else predict a wet lettuce leaf slap on the wrist? Hardy says player contracts are on the line, but they were on the line throughout a handful of "incidents" in the past two years.

The club believes it can handle this drama without any public scrutiny because no one from the public was involved. Wrong.

The club, its players and coaches, like all other ARU clubs, are under the routine radar of the Australian Taxation Office. Some players are still being looked at by a joint task force of the NSW and WA police. The club's major sponsor, Emirates, only reluctantly, and with promises of reform about player behaviour and the club culture, continued its association late last year.

There is a simmering tension that threatens to explode and destroy the franchise. Yesterday coach John Mitchell misread the mood, perhaps thinking the ARU's indulgence of past behaviours would continue. His statement that Henjak won't be sidelined as this would punish the rest of the team (read his coaching record) is pathetic.

The club's heavy drinking culture needs outside intervention because those inside it can't see, or don't want to know about, the problem. If it is too difficult for the franchise to attract players to the west, or even more tellingly invoke any discipline, then perhaps they shouldn't be in the competition.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I made Happy sad...

vCash
    This is getting ridiculous...is there any precedent for a injunction to stop constant 'witch-hunts' by one particular media entity?

vCash
    *sigh* You know what would be awesome? If they could get their god damn facts right at least...

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    A club that so fiercely protects its players that allegations that Henjak assaulted the former chief executive's son and, in another incident, offended a woman, were dealt with internally.
    Assault is a criminal offence. If there was evidence of an assault then the law would intervene. That's the way the world works. I don't care who the offender is it still applies. No evidence, no complaint, no punishment so what is the problem with dealing with this internally?

And as far as i'm aware, offending someone is not a crime....i'm pretty sure I could accuse every person i know of trying to offend me at some point in my life. In fact, this article offends me. Perhaps I should sue?

The WA police are not involved, and they say they are powerless to investigate unless a complaint is made. And one of the men involved, Sare, can't talk at the moment for his jaw is wired.
    No not powerless. Police can investigate matters without an official complaint being made if there is a public benefit. There isn't one. And for the record Haig was able to talk right up until his jaw was wired so he had ample time to make a complaint and didn't. Plus he can write last time I checked so stop trying to argue that the only reason the police aren't involved is because his jaw is wired.

Sare suffered a broken jaw - identified only when he saw the club doctor on Monday morning. By that afternoon he was on the operating table and had a plate inserted. The Force tried their old trick - the cover-up. They named both Henjak and Sare in their touring team leaving yesterday, knowing Sare would be out at least three months.
    How else do you expect to identify a broken jaw? I highly doubt he's going to diagnose himself and given the incident took place on Sunday arvo/evening it doesn't seem unreasonable that it wasn't identified til Monday morning.

Secondly, he wasn't on the operating table that afternoon. Try 11pm at night.

Thirdly, at exactly what point did we cover up the incident? I'm pretty sure it hit the papers Monday.

If it is too difficult for the franchise to attract players to the west, or even more tellingly invoke any discipline, then perhaps they shouldn't be in the competition.
    Since when did we have difficulty attracting players?

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    OK,OK This is enough!

I think The Force management needs to hold an urgent inquiry into player behaviour. Obviously one of them has upset Ms. Magnay in some way. This sometime mungo journalist NEVER writes about rugby unless it's to spread some more shit about The Force. So fess up whoever you are and tell us what you did ( or maybe didn't) do to the poor girl. She definately needs to get over this Force fixation so the sooner the better.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Jacquelin Magnay | February 13, 2008

vCash

You da man Coach

What a silly woman hehe

vCash

vCash
    Tabloid stuff..gotta love it

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I want Amanda Shalalalalalalala back

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    At the press conference i hated how all the media turn out when something goes wrong at the but where are they all when something goes right?? Nowhere to be seen, off covering Danial Kerr's hamstring or something equally pointless. Sorry guys, it just s**ts me off

Champion
    vCash
    they are dead set jumping off the Wet Toast seagulls and jumping on the WF ban wagon for misdemeanors arent they ?

i think they forgot about all the other incidents WF boys have been involved in when representing there former sides

What about the F** up with Dunning and Tuqiri in 2006 and 2007, nothing was brought up with them, just brushed under the carpet at ARU.

Pull your heads out of the quick sand ARU / media and get all sides of the story before shooting the gun at all of us Western Force players, supporters and officals to do with the club.

Last edited by Jehna; 13-02-08 at 15:21.

vCash
    I wonder if the Woman allegedly offended by Matt Henjak was Jaqueline Magnay?

Sure sounds like a woman scorned...and we all know what hell hath no fury like!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by some whore bag
    And one of the men involved, Sare, can't talk at the moment for his jaw is wired.
    My brother shattered his jaw playing rugby. He could talk before it was wired and then straight after too...

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    But Beavers can chew through logs - how's a minor thing like a shattered jaw going to shut them up?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Jacquelin Magnay...

Shes right up there with my other favourite journalists Grumbles Growdown, Gerry Riled and last but not least the emu that runs about Flamethrowers back paddock.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast