Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ARU threatening disciplinary action against Matt Henjak

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

ARU threatening disciplinary action against Matt Henjak

Australian Rugby Union is threatening its own disciplinary action against Matt Henjak, after he was guaranteed a Super 14 spot despite bar brawl.
    Going against the ARU's wishes, the former Wallaby scrumhalf was on a flight to South Africa today - the day after it emerged his clash with Sare on Sunday had left the Force winger needing surgery to have a plate inserted in his jaw.

ARU chief executive John O'Neill expressed dismay today after learning that coach John Mitchell had declared before flying out that Henjak would play in the Super 14 first round match against the Sharks in Durban on Friday.

He demanded that the Force deal with the disciplinary matter promptly, and before the Friday match if possible, and warned the ARU would take over the matter if it wasn't satisfied with the way it was handled.

"While natural justice demands any player is innocent until proven guilty, we believe there is justification to stand down any player who has a disciplinary hearing pending,'' said O'Neill in a statement.

"After being told of the incident last night, the ARU had advised the Force not to include Matt Henjak in the touring squad.

"Unfortunately, we had no further contact with them this morning before they announced that Henjak would tour and ... play in the first match on Friday.

"The game is bigger than individuals. Disciplinary matters need to be taken seriously and dealt with accordingly, and in isolation, regardless of the team dynamics.

"Under the code of conduct, the ARU has the authority to intervene if it believes an incident of a sufficiently serious nature has occurred and a province does not take appropriate action to resolve the situation.

"If that was the case, we could serve notice on a province that the ARU will take over the matter and convene a hearing before a three-man ARU tribunal.''

With Sare set to miss the first six weeks of the Super 14 season with his injury, Henjak said nothing to media at Perth airport as he left - but acting Force CEO Mitch Hardy defended the decision to allow him to tour and play.

"We are aware there would be some public backlash, but ... to pull a key player out a day before the team is due to depart would only penalise the rest of the organisation, not the individual,'' Hardy said.

"It is a decision we did not take lightly, and we will try to get this hearing in place as quickly as possible - if that requires him being sent home then so be it.

"You have got two players' careers who are on the line ... the extreme circumstance would be both the players employment with the Western Force would cease.

"We have to give Haig the benefit - it is very hard to talk with your jaw wired shut. We have got to give him a fair hearing, just as we have to with Matt.

"They are both very remorseful and they are both very disappointed they have let their teammates down.''

Force officials and team leaders will continue the inquiry into the fracas on arrival in South Africa, with Sare to take part via phone.

Hardy said he hoped any disciplinary measures would be meted out before the team returned on March 2.

A fractious Mitchell said his team was unified, Henjak would play, and the dramas would not be a distraction.

"He deserves his selection. It would be totally unfair to everyone in the organisation and the team if we did not select the best players to go on the field,'' Mitchell said.

"We have made the decision as to what is best for the team. All I am concerned about is team performance in this fixture against the Sharks.

"It is not a distraction at all as far as I am concerned.''

It emerged today a group of Force players had spent Sunday afternoon at the Left Bank cafe in East Fremantle, before high spirited push and shove between Sare and Henjak turned nasty.

Club officials were not told of the seriousness of the events until after naming the touring squad on Monday morning.

Henjak has a long list of infractions while representing the Wallabies, Brumbies and Force - which former CEO Peter O'Meara said today were all to do with alcohol.

"One of the demons he has to deal with is his alcohol management, I think it is a common denominator in a number of these incidents,'' O'Meara told Fairfax Radio.

"He has given a personal undertaking that he won't touch alcohol this season, and if Matt sticks to that I think it is a fantastic step forward. I think it has got to that point ... his livelihood is on the drawing board.''

And a horror 24 hours for the Force was topped off with captain Nathan Sharpe travelling despite contracting food poisoning, while the flight to South Africa was delayed for two hours.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...005401,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    *sigh*
    if this was the tahs they wouldnt have said anything... pricks

vCash
    if henjak has a contract which is topped up by the ARU then they should just tear it up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    if henjak has a contract which is topped up by the ARU then they should just tear it up.
    Yeah, and what about Lote? Still on his huge contract despite being a serial drongo...it set a precedent that I don't think they'd want.

vCash
    either way its set now.
    and i wanna see henners in wallaby colours!

vCash
    I don't particularly care what happens, but if the ARU step in I will scream bloody murder the instant a Waratah plays after a cabbie gets bashed or something like that.....you can't step in on stuff like this without being consistent.

They have the right to deal with his ARU contract tonight if they want to....but there are plenty of examples of issues where action hasn't been taken, Matt could take them to court on precedent! Like many people have said in the last 24 hours....let's wait and see what the hearing finds and judge based upon what can be proven....I'm not saying the hearing will find the truth, but it will be as close as anyone will ever get.

I'd doubt if a hearing can be convened before the Sharks match...and Harbajan would agree (I'm sure) that Henjak has the right to play until the hearing is convened.

I just hope this is over quickly and as clean as possible!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bread View Post
    Yeah, and what about Lote? Still on his huge contract despite being a serial drongo...it set a precedent that I don't think they'd want.
    well it could be argued that Lote's misdemeanor's havent being as bad as Henjaks. Secondly, Lote has the skill/potential and profile to warrant his contract remaining, whilst the only time Henjak generates headlines is for negative reasons.

vCash
    i would say that henjack has the skill as well.
    i would argue hes the most effective number 9 in the country at the moment.
    not just at the scrums. but in the overall plays as well

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    No TOCC, only one from three, Lote has the profile, period.
    J O'N is a tool and is beating up anything he can find to try and distract from the crap job he has done so far.
    Knuckles told the story yesterday and it fully applies to this crap

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    IMO, Henjak would be at the back of a long line of number 9's atm.

Not just because of his indifferent form over the last few years, but because of his record(before this incident).

Phibbs, Cordingley, Valentine, Sheehan and Holmes are all ahead of Henjak for the wallabies number 9 position.

Like i said previously, Tuqiris profile in this game warrants him keeping his contract, not to forget his incidents havent being as bad as Henjaks.

vCash
    how about we base it on skill? and whos going to benifit the TEAM! the most
    stuff the politics and pick a team on who is playing the best.
    even if there is a clause in every player's contract that can nullify it whenever the ARU wants to.
    hell even make it so if that does happen, any payments recieved in said season must be returned in full.

and IMO cordingley is USELESS~!!!

vCash
    well unfortunately, thanks to professionalism there is a lot more to rugby then just skill these days. Sponsorship, Image and public relations are right up there in terms of priorities.

Deans did say he would pick players who deserved it, someone like Henjak who is a constant nuisance does not deserve it.

vCash
    Phibbs, Cordingley, Valentine, Sheehan and Holmes are all ahead of Henjak for the wallabies number 9 position.
    Don't wanna get personal here TOCC but do you even watch rugby?

That list is the exact opposite of the ranking I would've chosen (Except maybe Sheehan and Holmes, I'm not sure whose better out of them yet)

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    If you want to lose.
    My fingers are crossed that a neutral Deans will bring an end to that BS and get the Wallabies back to the top of the heap.
    Success is a far better marketing tool than an overrated undisciplined dude with dreadlocks.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    well unfortunately, thanks to professionalism there is a lot more to rugby then just skill these days. Sponsorship, Image and public relations are right up there in terms of priorities.

Deans did say he would pick players who deserved it, someone like Henjak who is a constant nuisance does not deserve it.

so you would pick a player who isnt going to benifit the team because hes never made a mistake?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast