Thread: Wallaby Coaching Staff Announcement

vCash

Wallaby Coaching Staff Announcement

ARU ANNOUNCES QANTAS WALLABIES COACHING TEAM FOR 2008

Australian Rugby Union has appointed former Test backrower Jim Williams to a new-look and streamlined Qantas Wallabies coaching panel.

Head coach Robbie Deans will have two assistants in 2008 – existing forwards coach Michael Foley, who will be in charge of set piece technique and strategies; and the currently European-based Williams, whose roles will include general forward play, the breakdown and continuity.

Deans, in a hands-on capacity, will take on the attack coach and defensive coach responsibilities held by Scott Johnson and John Muggleton in the previous Wallabies setup.

The frontline coaching staff, as a result, has been reduced from four to three.

“It’s good to get clarity, good for all parties involved in the process,” Deans said today.

“This has been an exercise where I’ve worked in conjunction with senior ARU management – High Performance boss Pat Howard and CEO and Managing Director John O’Neill – to reach the best outcome for the Qantas Wallabies.

“It’s great we’re now in a position to confirm and announce a coaching team that I believe has the capacity to take the national side forward this season.

“There has been a lot of conjecture on this issue and there will be some disappointment among those who were on the Qantas Wallabies coaching staff last year.

“I can understand that, but the roles I want to take on personally are behind the direction in which we are moving and explain the decisions we have taken.

“Michael Foley has been retained and Jim Williams is a good addition.

“He has been coaching successfully in an assistant’s role at Munster in Ireland. He has runs on the board. His experience in the northern hemisphere will also be valuable.”

Williams played with the NSW Waratahs and the ACT Brumbies at Super 12 level as both blindside flanker and No.8.

He played 14 Tests for the Wallabies during the 1999 and 2000 seasons, making his debut against Ireland in Sydney.

Williams was also a member of the victorious 1999 World Cup squad and the historic Tri Nations title-winning team in 2000.

He headed offshore in 2001 to join Munster in Ireland, went on to captain the team and only retired from playing in 2005 – at the age of 36 – before moving into an assistant coaching position as the province’s forwards and continuity mentor.

His coaching contract with Munster expires at the end of the current European season.

“This is an exciting opportunity for me to return to Australia and also to work with one of the best coaches in the world,” Williams said. “It was a chance too good to miss.

“When I left Australia in 2001, it was only going to be for a couple of years.

“Seven years later, I’ve enjoyed every minute of my time at Munster. They have a great tradition, great passion, and they certainly revitalised my career.

“But I’m ready to come home now, especially with an opportunity to have this sort of role with the national team.

“Australian rugby is hopefully ready to ride a new wave and to be part of that will be a great thrill. I am looking forward to the challenge enormously.”

Foley said he was excited at being part of the 2008 coaching line-up.

“I‘ve enjoyed my time with the Wallabies enormously to date and this will be another opportunity to broaden my experience and scope as a coach,” he said.

“I’m looking forward to helping Australian Rugby continue to move forward into the future.”

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Great news, more savings, only 3 coaches!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Doesn't say anything about cost saving - never presume it makes an ass out of you and me - but here's hoping!

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post
    Doesn't say anything about cost saving - never presume it makes an ass out of you and me - but here's hoping!
    That's ASSUME not PRESUME, to presume would make u & me pres!!

I see they said Robbie, we can pay you but you will need to cut your staff by one!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Who cares they got rid of johnson he was such a tool

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    tell us what you really think, MG

vCash
    I dunno whether this was pressure from the ARU or not. It looks like a good team to me. Johnston and Muggleton were in charge of the two areas of Wallabies play which were rubbish at the world cup...they go, Johnstone was a no brainer, Muggleton not so obvious maybe, but Deans has picked a Tight Five coach, a Backrow coach and himself as a backs coach....seems to have everything covered, and as long as everyone works together (unlike under Knuckles) and follows a cohesive gameplan, they'll do alright (I hope Deans handles the selections though)

C'mon the

vCash
    Foley???? that will be the weakest link again...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    might be a last chance.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Well, especially as Williams is Munster's forward coach and they have a fairly useful set of fatboys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Well, especially as Williams is Munster's forward coach and they have a fairly useful set of fatboys.
    But you have to have the raw material in the first place. Something the Wallabies are lacking at the moment.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    I think the beef exists, just not the technique and heart. Blake SHOULD be top of the pile but he's a lazy ass.....The same disease hits a lot of the big meat in Aussie rugby. Once we get two big props with decent technique and workrate the standard will improve markedly, simply because the same old crap isn't good enough to wear the green and gold anymore. I think we could resolve this issue before the next world cup easily by training the props we've got properly. First step......clean the Waratahs out of the front row, no one bothers working that hard at the moment because they know the slots are tied up by worthless hacks!

C'mon the