Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Super time to think of trading

vCash

Super time to think of trading

Super time to think of trading
    COMMENT: Bret Harris | February 13, 2008

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...012430,00.html

WESTERN FORCE's immediate reaction to Matt Henjak's latest misdemeanour was to tear up his Super 14 contract.

But there were two reasons why they did not do so.

First, Henjak is the Force's starting halfback, a crucial tactical decision-making position. Second, Henjak is entitled to a fair hearing.

A repeat offender, Henjak is in real danger of having his contract terminated if found guilty by the tribunal.

If the Force takes this course of action, the team will be seriously lacking in the halfback position, a scenario which could potentially ruin its season before it even begins.

Henjak's back-up is James Stannard, who is in his rookie Super 14 season. It would be asking a lot of such an inexperienced player to take over such an important leadership role.

Maybe, the Force could find an Australian halfback playing overseas such as Chris O'Young, who was a foundation member of the expansion club. The Force's other option would be to move Wallabies utility back Matt Giteau from five-eighth to halfback, but this would compromise the way coach John Mitchell wants to play under the new rules this year.

It would also be a setback for new Wallabies coach Robbies Deans, who has signalled his intention to play Giteau at five-eighth or inside centre and not at halfback. The prospect of the Force releasing Henjak now and suffering in a key position raises an interesting question. Is it time to introduce player trading in rugby union? The concept is part and parcel of professional sport in the US in basketball, baseball and ice hockey as well as European soccer.

If a team is lacking in a certain position, or positions, through injury or form, it can make a trade by a deadline around the middle of the season.

An interesting juxtaposition with the Henjak situation is the omission of Wallabies halfback Josh Valentine from the NSW Waratahs' 22-man squad for the match with the Hurricanes. The Waratahs will start Brett Sheehan at halfback with Luke Burgess on the bench. That is interesting and probably worth consideration if indeed it means Josh is on the outer at the Tahs.

If the Force cuts Henjak, it would seem reasonable for Valentine to seek a release from his contract to join the Force, especially if he felt his opportunities were limited at the Waratahs.

The Waratahs would have to be compensated with another player of similar value, a a cash payment or both.

You could argue that teams are responsible for their recruiting and should have adequate back-up in every position in the event of injuries or a loss of form. It is also up to the player and his agent to spot opportunities at other teams when he comes out of contract if he is not getting sufficient game-time where he is.

But it also makes no sense for Australian rugby to have Super 14 teams which are overloaded with talent in a certain position, while other sides are virtually bare in the same spot.

Players such as Valentine, who are genuine contenders for the Wallabies, need to play in the Super 14 every week rather than being warehoused.

With George Gregan's departure, the race for the Wallabies' halfback spot is wide open and all the candidates need to be seen as much as possible over the next three months before the Australian squad is selected.

Australian rugby, in only its 13th season of professionalism, needs to consider a more businesslike approach to the issue of player movement for the overall betterment of the game.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I think I'm a little bit in love with Bret Harris. His analysis of rugby is always fair and with an aim at saying something useful and positive rather than slagging the code. Food for thought...love it.

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    I agree they need to have something like this, but I don't think it would work very well unless there is free movement of players between SA, Aus and NZ. As it is now we would only be able to trade with three other teams and I think that would really limit the amount of trades made. If this situation occurred in north american sport we would most likely trade Henjak to one team who was a bit short at half back and wanted a good player without giving much in return. We would then make another trade with the team that had too many half backs and wanted to get rid of one. With only three teams to trade with, it would be very hard to find another team that wanted to make a trade.

Another thing they would need to do is stop player tampering. IE you can't talk to a player under contract with another team unless you have permission from the team. It baffles me that a player can be signed to play for another team the next year but still play for his old team, how can this not lead to accusations of match fixing? So in the case of the Force last year they basically got screwed by Digby because the Reds put out a better offer. So if you took away player tampering and added trades then Digby would have had to decide if he thought the Force offer was going to be his best option. And if he didn't think so he could wait until the end of the year and see what other teams have to offer. Then if the Force were worried they were going to lose him they could trade him to the Reds. The Reds would be willing to trade for him because then they can sign him straight away and not have to worry about the Brumbies or Tahs making a better offer.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    A reasonably fair article and reasonable points but we may as well stick with Chucky and Adam than get Valentine, he's a gump.
    Happy if they wanted to off load Burgess though, he should be starting before Sheehan for sure.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Maybe they should look at trading any player with a glass jaw.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gustafsl View Post
    I agree they need to have something like this, but I don't think it would work very well unless there is free movement of players between SA, Aus and NZ. As it is now we would only be able to trade with three other teams and I think that would really limit the amount of trades made.
    I understand that the Australian S14 teams are only allowed to select players who are eligible for Wallabies selection. So they'd not be permitted to trade with the NZ or SA franchises in any case.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    I understand that the Australian S14 teams are only allowed to select players who are eligible for Wallabies selection. So they'd not be permitted to trade with the NZ or SA franchises in any case.
    But so many Yarpies want to be Wallabies anyway!

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    That's what I mean by free movement. If they change the self imposed rule and allow players to play for any of the Super teams and still be eligible for national selection it would make more sense to allow trading. I can't see many trades being made if for instance the Force only had three other teams they could trade with.

vCash
    I like the idea of it, the Reds could have really used it last season when they had 3-4 injured props and had to signed club rugby players who were useless.

Even if it meant teams would only loan players to other teams, that could definetly be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by gustafsl View Post
    So in the case of the Force last year they basically got screwed by Digby because the Reds put out a better offer. So if you took away player tampering and added trades then Digby would have had to decide if he thought the Force offer was going to be his best option. And if he didn't think so he could wait until the end of the year and see what other teams have to offer. Then if the Force were worried they were going to lose him they could trade him to the Reds. The Reds would be willing to trade for him because then they can sign him straight away and not have to worry about the Brumbies or Tahs making a better offer.
    As for the Digby saga, well the Western Force have screwed over the Reds enough with player recruitment and contracts that it was about time it happened to the Force.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    As for the Digby saga, well the Western Force have screwed over the Reds enough with player recruitment and contracts that it was about time it happened to the Force.
    How? By buying the players who weren't getting a run in the first team? It's not like the franchises were being helpful giving us an option to assemble a team anyway...

vCash
    TOCC I don't want to stir any more with you, but Qld wouldn't lose players if they gave them what they want (I'm not just talking about Qld constantly complains about losing players to all points of the compass!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bread View Post
    How? By buying the players who weren't getting a run in the first team? It's not like the franchises were being helpful giving us an option to assemble a team anyway...
    Nathan Sharpe, Junior Pelesasa, Tai McIsaac, Rudi Vedelago and Drew Mitchell were all first team regulars when they left the Reds. But it wasnt the first team regulars that was the problem, it was the signing of younger players like Scott Daruda, Digby Ioane, Luke Doherty and Tajhon Malita, thats one of the big reasons QLD had such a shit 2008, its why players like Quade Cooper, Charlie Fetoia and Bredan Vaalu debut'd about 2 seasons to early.

Im not disagreeing that the Force didnt have much of a option, all im saying is that the Force have no grounds to whinge about other franchises signing there players.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    Im not disagreeing that the Force didnt have much of a option, all im saying is that the Force have no grounds to whinge about other franchises signing there players.
    Except the fact that the player that was signed had agreed to re-sign...that's where the problem is....

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Speaking of which, anyone know where Brett Stapleton has finished up? He doesn't seem to be on anyones list (although interestingly, Vedelago is on the Reds list!)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bread View Post
    Except the fact that the player that was signed had agreed to re-sign...that's where the problem is....
    well it was common knowledge that the Force approached Reds players who were still under contract telling them to ask for a release. But anyway, moving on.

As for Stapleton, he was playing for the East Coast Aces in the MARC, but i didnt hear much about him in that competition, i think he has faded away into obscurity for the moment.

Maybe when Latham and Walker leave the Reds next year there will be room for him to join.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast