Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: RugbyWA Chairman Geoff Stooke OAM Responds To New Stadium Announcement

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    The term used was "May be constructed when the business case supports its construction".
    But all that will do is support the case for using Kitchener Park - how will they put a value on the viewing experience within the context of a business plan? The discussion will go something like...
    "We have lots of demand"
    "Fine, move to Kitchener Park"
    "But the viewing is crap"
    "So what? You use it for Test matches."
    "But it'll cost us spectators"
    "If that happens, you can move back to where you are now"
    "But the best thing for us is a bigger rectangular stadium"
    "But not for us. We run Kitchener, so there is a good business case for us in you moving in. Against that, there is no way you can make a business case for us spending more money on a stadium we don't control. As far as we're concerned, we've provided two stadiums just like we said we would and no way we're spending any more."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Andy....I agree with you, you must remember though that the taskforce was convened and the report written with one purpose in mind....to justify the building of a brand new stadium which Alan Carpenter owns and makes an exorbitant profit from (My opinion)

Quite frankly, any move that is made, and any argument that is forwarded can be countered utilising the parameters of the report. That is the indicator that I use to justify my previously stated opinion. Even if we make a business case that the stadium will pay for itself in 12 months, the taskforce will refute the proposal based upon the governance issue.....It's not going to be an easy fight, since losing the revenue of 25000 tickets fro home games, along with any concert which sells more than 17000 tickets will push the elephant into the red!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    It's not going to be an easy fight, since losing the revenue of 25000 tickets fro home games, along with any concert which sells more than 17000 tickets will push the elephant into the red!
    i thought the new stadium was to be shared with cricket aswell, therefore with an extra 15000 per weagles game and 100000 odd for international cricket matches, the ' elephant ' wont do too bad even though its a stupendously biased, corrupt idea ......if rugby pushes ahead and forges a strong coalition with league and soccer and the government keeps making healthy surpluses then enough bombardent could see a $100 mill grant awarded for a real upgrade to MES...... as for retractable seating, how long will it be before gayfl whinges about damage to the playing surface after several ton of grandstand is moved back and forth the day before a gayfl match

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I'm waiting for a wet game the night before a gayFL match and we tear up the ground.....

vCash
    Nearthetop, cricket is supposed to play there but the WACA doesn't want to touch it with the proverbial pole- they're privately funding re-development of the WACA and only really big (i.e. big ticket Twenty20 games and the 2015 world cup), will be headed for the Elephant.
    As for how long it'll take the WAFC the whinge about moving stands.. I give it 3 weeks (just because whinging after one week might seem too petty, even for them)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    Thats some quality spruiking there! You off work for the Chief's game?
    Yep. Had to take hols to swing that one. We'll see ya at the Bowlo ( if not at the Carbon on Friday arvo )
    Yes, yes, I know Jargs, you can't make the Carbon cause your busy elswhere.

vCash
    I'll be making noise AT Suncorp

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Its one of the shitty things about (most) politicians that they all want to leave some kind of legacy instead of just doing a quality job and making everyone happy. They would rather spend 600 million on a 'world class' stadium that they can tell everyone that they built than spend 400 million on two high quality facilities- an upgraded Subi Oval and an upgraded MES. I wonder if Gallop, had he not step aside due to depression, would have honoured his committments to RugbyWA?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I wonder if Gallop, had he not step aside due to depression, would have honoured his committments to RugbyWA?
    No axe to grind here James, but if MES is upgraded as now looks likely, that commitment will be honoured, even if a bit late.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Sorry, I am a bit out of the loop probably. MES is being upgraded? To what extent? If its a good upgrade well all I can say is better late than never.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Yeah, the plans that have been released to date show 22,000 of the seats moving - essentially all the lower sections. As a result, none will be under cover and none of the corporate areas (the next level up) will move at all. It will be the corporates that will be squinting into the middle distance trying to see what just happened, as they will be further away than at Subi. Those in the moveable seats will range from slightly closer to a bit further away.

The reason Stooke is being very clear that the move is temporary is that the facilities will reflect the amount of money spent. $35-50M on MES is a patch job at best, and the risk is very much that once we move, the Government/WAFC will decide that Rugby is sorted and they don't need to bother about moveable stands or further support. I can see exactly how it will go - the key statement in the ST article was the Government saying that they are still committed to a two stadium policy when there is the business case. So, we move to MES and break even, they say "Well done, you've proven your business case, you have the ground you asked for, we're done".

For mine, the biggest problem with MES is the ground - as has been noted elsewhere, it does not meet ARU standards. It is too short (which is a safety risk for players) and it is too narrow - try to picture the Fox cameramen running the sidelines, along with players sitting there, assistant referees, drinks runners, the advertising that underpins the team sponsorships and all the other paraphernalia.

Being too short and narrow is easily fixed and would cost peanuts in the overall scheme.

vCash
    i really dont see how the govt plans to move us AWAY from a rectangular stadium.
    i for one wont forget how much worse off are(and therefore would be) at multipourpose ground.

vCash

Talking

will be headed for the Elephant!!!!!!

Elephants Swee

I am looking at purchasing one of the units at the WACA so I dont think I will be going to Subi to watch cricket.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Elf1 View Post

Elephants Swee

As long as I can't hear the sound effects !

vCash
    :
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    As long as I can't hear the sound effects !

baddiet:[

Last edited by travelling_gerry; 15-04-08 at 17:06.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast