Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: New stadium to be built in Kitchener Park

vCash

New stadium to be built in Kitchener Park

New stadium to be built in Kitchener Park

8th February 2008, 12:30 WST

West Australian

Premier Alan Carpenter is about to announce the government will spend $1.1 billion on a new sports stadium at Kitchener Park in Subiaco.

It is expected it will take four years to build the new stadium, with the first game of football to be played shortly afterwards in 2014.

Sports games will be able to be played before the stadium is completed and while construction is still underway.

JESSICA STRUTT

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    football?
    seeing as they now call soccer football, could ms Strutt clarify please
    and are the plans being made available for public viewing?

vCash
    wow! That is HUGE news!!!

But this means we have 6 more years of rugby watching at subi oval.

Any news on the shape of the stadium? Rectangle? Round? Multi purpose?

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    Omg! WAFL wins again.

Go The Force!

vCash
    unfortunatley, but thats the state we live in...
    never mind the promises which were made by the current government to secure this wonderful team for us.
    and the fact that we also are having a national NRL team based in perth. as well as a soccer team, hockey, and god knows what else.
    but hey, its not like a rectangular stadium would be used at all is it? so we really dont need one at all do we

vCash
    ok so it's definitely not rectangular then... will it just be a bigger subi oval or multi?

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    wouldnt surprise me one bit...
    when's the next state election?

vCash
    They are probably going oval..with the stupid add on slide in stands to create a "rectangular" looking field.

It May work.

Go The Force!

vCash
    Much of a muchness Jess, any concepts I've seen for a Multi pupose basically gives us an oval with limited opportunity to swing the sides in towards the pitch. I would assume that this would cause damage to the surface, so when the WAFC gain operating rights for the stadium they will be reluctant to actually engage the mechanism. We'll be stuck with another football oval unless the new CEO brings with him the commercial clout to put pressure.

I say secure the rights to Subiaco oval (which would be demolished once the new facility comes online) and modify it to support a rectangular field properly. This would however take a fair bit of dough, and some time. It could be achieved with temporary stands built inside the existing structure initially though, this would allow the use of existing media and corporate facilities as well as change rooms etc.

We could probably achieve that in an off season, contract Firepower as naming rights sponsor for the field and start the 2014 season at Firepower Park in Subiaco!

C'mon the

vCash
    not really. because the gold seating will be in the movable stands. which means that we would have to walk ages to get a drink/food or use the toilet. and the corporate boxes would have less visibility than they already do. i would rather stay at subi...

even if they cant give us a stadium. i dont see why they cant re-develop MES now and upgrade the public transport to and from it so people wont need to drive there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Much of a muchness Jess, any concepts I've seen for a Multi pupose basically gives us an oval with limited opportunity to swing the sides in towards the pitch. I would assume that this would cause damage to the surface, so when the WAFC gain operating rights for the stadium they will be reluctant to actually engage the mechanism. We'll be stuck with another football oval unless the new CEO brings with him the commercial clout to put pressure.

I say secure the rights to Subiaco oval (which would be demolished once the new facility comes online) and modify it to support a rectangular field properly. This would however take a fair bit of dough, and some time. It could be achieved with temporary stands built inside the existing structure initially though, this would allow the use of existing media and corporate facilities as well as change rooms etc.

We could probably achieve that in an off season, contract Firepower as naming rights sponsor for the field and start the 2014 season at Firepower Park in Subiaco!

who was it that modified a subi map? i cant remember where the image was posted either. but i think this idea has merit.
    and there had better be a brendon cannon room in whatever happens!

vCash
    It ain't transport infrastructure there Jono, the ground is going to scratch to fit 30000 seats, it doesn't have suitable Corporate or media facilities and the local council isn't interested in a 30000 seat stadium in the middle of what is a fairly high priced commercial/residential district (although it doesn't seem to have hurt at Subi)

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    who was it that modified a subi map? i cant remember where the image was posted either. but i think this idea has merit.
    and there had better be a brendon cannon room in whatever happens!
    That was me.....why can't I thank you?

C'mon the

vCash
    why cant you thank me??
    what?

vCash
    Subiaco wins race for new 60,000 seat stadium
    Friday, February 8, 2008

The Premier Alan Carpenter has announced Perth's long-awaited multi purpose outdoor stadium will be built at Kitchener Park in Subiaco at a cost of $1.1 billion.

The new stadium will seat 60,000 with the potential to be expanded to 70,000.

It will be able to host AFL, Rugby, Soccer and cricket matches and is expected to be ready for the 2014 football season, but will not be fully completed until 2016.

The Government will bid for the 2018 Soccer World Cup with the new stadium as the proposed venue.

The Government says it will seek funding from the Commonwealth, business and the sporting codes to help build the stadium.

The other site considered for the project, the old East Perth power station, was deemed unsuitable because of transport difficulties.

That site will be used to build the new WA Museum.

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to ..........."

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast