The International Rugby Board is exploring the possibility of having World Cup-winning coach Jake White help the development of second tier nations.

White isn't actively involved in international rugby any longer after being replaced as Springboks coach despite his success last year.

He is currently in England to promote his best-selling biography In Black and White but will also hold further discussions with the IRB bosses about being a "coach at large".

There have already been informal talks about such a position and it seems White is keen to further explore the possibility.

"As the year was coming to an end (in the midst of the World Cup) I did have discussions with Mike Miller (CEO of the IRB) and Dr Syd Millar (outgoing chairman) about my having a role in the IRB," White told South African website SuperSport.

"There is nothing in writing at the moment but the IRB are keen to meet with me with a view to formalising the way I can be involved.

"I know they are keen and our initial discussions were along the lines of me being deployed with second tier nations. It may be that I get sent to help Spain or Portugal, perhaps even the United States.

"I do expect to have a chat with Mark Egan (the IRB's Head of Rugby Services) to see whether something can be worked out which fits in with what I'm doing now."

RugbyHeaven