Thread: Chook will be gloating again, tahs beat crusaders

vCash

Chook will be gloating again, tahs beat crusaders

By Adrian Warren
    February 07, 2008 CRUSADERS and New Zealand five-eighth Daniel Carter landed the early punches but New South Wales counterpart Kurtley Beale delivered the knockout blow as the Waratahs defeated the visitors 24-14 in a Super 14 trial match at Sydney Football Stadium.

The Waratahs again showed their depth by recovering a 14-0 deficit to inflict defeat on a Crusaders team coached by new Australia coach Robbie Deans.

After scoring 38 unanswered points in the second half against the Brumbies in Gosford last week, the Waratahs poured on 24 points without reply in Sydney - 17 in the second half.

In doing so, the Waratahs claimed their third win from as many trials in the lead-up to their Super 14 opener against the Hurricanes on February 16. The Crusaders meanwhile suffered their first defeat in three trials.

Carter, playing his first game of the pre-season following a calf injury, shone early, setting up tries to centres Casey Laulala and Tim Bateman before he was one of multiple players from both sides to be substituted at half-time.

The Crusaders played the slicker rugby in the first half, putting together dangerous moves in the heavy rain while the Waratahs struggled to build momentum.

The Waratahs commenced their comeback in the 35th minute, when lively Brett Sheehan, who had replaced starting half-back Josh Valentine only eight minutes earlier, dummied his way over for a try after a strong forward drive.

Beale converted to cut the deficit to seven points at half-time before scoring the first 10 points of the second half to push the home team into the lead.

The young five-eighth kicked a penalty and then converted his own try in the 48th minute, after he had stolen the ball from veteran Crusaders winger Caleb Ralph and sprinted 40 metres.

Beale missed only one kick, a 55th-minute penalty, but he converted the Waratahs' third try before being replaced four minutes later.

Centre Timana Tahu slipped a pass to flanker Rocky Elsom, who charged down the left flank before passing inside to winger Alfi Mafi.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I'm sure they were playing their reserve team...

vCash
    its funny how when a side loses in a trial match after leading at half time suddenly becomes the underdog in these articles...
    i certainly wouldnt take much out of the Tahs win

vCash
    Meh... gives them something to celebrate now which gives them some hope... we'll see how much our Chooken gloats when the Tahs cement their 13th place. Who knows, the reds might even lend them the spoon!

Last edited by Jess; 08-02-08 at 12:37.
    I made Happy sad...

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    "their 13th place"

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I have always been a believer that the winner of a trial match is the team winning at half-time since this is when the coach starts making the changes.

I just read a Greggy Growden article about the game a moment ago and he makes a very interesting point (surprise, surprise) that the Waratahs have no back line leaders. The most experienced players in the Tahs backline are pretty much Tuqiri (who is the poorest example of a leader I can think of) and Sam Norton-Knight which speaks for itself. It truly will hold their backline back this season and they will need constant forward supremacy to win games.

vCash
    "Jess...you're sooo disillusioned....can't you see the brilliance that is Tah-ness...they put the CRUSADERS to the sword in the second half....."

Sound about right?

Crusaders subbed the bloody waterboy on for this match after holding the Tahs to zero and scoring 17 of their own.....against a team with ELV experience!

I'd suggest that has had the best of the trials this year (haven't follwed the Brumbies much although I expect them to have looked pretty bad....they usually do pre-season) and everyone else has either won because they forgot that trials are about making decisions and getting fit (Kick a DROP GOAL, WTF are you thinking?) or the other team wanted to find some minutes to get their benches as fit as their firsts!

I'm personally tipping the to squeak by the Crusaders in a close one at home this year based upon what I've seen so far. Just gotta keep the boys reasonably healthy!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I have always been a believer that the winner of a trial match is the team winning at half-time since this is when the coach starts making the changes.
    Couldn't agree more James. As GIGS said as well the point of trial matches is not actually really just to win...

Having said that I don't want to take anything away from the Tahs in the second half (ugh what am i saying...) From what i've seen, regardless of the Crusaders performance they did pull out some nice plays but they still have a long way to go. They're back line certainly has some weaknesses but most teams have their issues. It's about how you deal with them so bring on the season and lets see what the Tahs can do. I'm certainly not opposed to seeing them play some good rugby....i'm all for competition

Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    "Jess...you're sooo disillusioned....can't you see the brilliance that is Tah-ness...they put the CRUSADERS to the sword in the second half....."

Sound about right?

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Didn;t get to see of hear the game so I am only talking out my ear, but I expect that the Tahs backline has difficulty in working as a unit, rather than rely on individual brilliance which they do have.
    Also doubt that Trestles and Doughboy will be able to sustain the tight five onslaught from SA teams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    "their 13th place"
    you suck.

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    Sadly I put my mind to it and that's the only come back I could come up with.

Reeaal mature.

I made Happy sad...

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    You got Happy last night Jess.

Quote of the night

Upon arriving at Jess sees Happy in all his brand shiny new Force regalia and exclaims: "It doesn't look like a woman's jacket does it?"

vCash
    Followed by Happy getting the first Phallic object of the night!

Happy wasn't Happy!

C'mon the

vCash
    thanks given to GIGS20 for the balloons last night!

vCash
    From what ive read the tahs didnt get back in the game until player rotation occurred for the 2nd half. I still predict the tahs will play like bums this year.