Beale up against it, says Carter
Bret Harris | February 07, 2008

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...012430,00.html

ALL BLACKS five-eighth Dan Carter has warned NSW Waratahs whiz-kid Kurtley Beale that his second year in Super 14 rugby could be his toughest.

The Waratahs are expecting big things from Beale, who made his Super 14 debut last year straight out of school. The 18-year-old was fast-tracked after Mat Rogers quit the Waratahs to return to rugby league.

Carter, who did not figure in any of the Crusaders' matches with NSW last year as New Zealand rested its key players before the World Cup, will be lining up against Beale for the first time in tonight's Super 14 trial - the Rotomahana Challenge - at the Sydney Football Stadium.

"I was quite lucky," Carter, who made his Super rugby debut in 2003 aged 20, said yesterday.

"The first two seasons I played all the games and I was playing alongside some really experienced players, like Justin Marshall, Andrew Mehrtens, Aaron Mauger, guys like that, so that made my job a lot easier. It probably still took a season.

"My second year was almost tougher because guys knew who you were by then and they would have analysed (you).

"So that was probably my tough year and it was probably almost my third year where I was sort of a lot more comfortable and could just go out there and concentrate on my game."

And Carter, regarded as the best five-eighth in the world, expects improvement from Beale.

"He would have learnt from mistakes and also learnt through experience and it's only going to help his game and the Waratahs," Carter said. "I've seen a little bit last year on how he plays and he's an exciting footballer with a lot of talent."

While Beale is taking on Carter, Wallabies inside backs Matt Giteau and Berrick Barnes will go head to head at five-eighth in the Super 14 trial between the Reds and Western Force in Perth tonight. Giteau and Barnes will both be looking to stake an early claim on the Wallabies' No10 jersey.

Each player has the ability to play five-eighth or inside centre and both will be in the Wallaby inside-back mix come selection.

New Wallabies coach Robbie Deans has indicated Giteau will play five-eighth or inside centre for Australia, while Barnes is the incumbent Test flyhalf after taking over from an injured Stephen Larkham at the World Cup in France - where Giteau played inside centre.

"It's a hypothetical in a lot of ways," Western Force coach John Mitchell said of the Giteau-Barnes encounter.

"They were a pairing at the last World Cup. They are two quite different players. Gits is obviously still learning to play 10, while Barnesy has had that time internationally.

"It should be a good contest because they are both youthful, but Gits has probably had a little bit more experience on the big stage."

Meanwhile, Wallabies and Force second-rower Nathan Sharpe will consider several overseas offers before deciding on an ARU contract beyond this year. "It could be a number of things," Sharpe said. "How I feel about playing more in Australia. How my family feels about that. And also the opportunities that present."

Additional reporting: AAP