Thread: Barnes Gits on with it

vCash

Barnes Gits on with it

Reds flyhalf refuses to bite on the battle for No 10
    By Jim Tucker
    February 04, 2008 11:00pm

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...003411,00.html

AS a World Cup teammate, Queensland hope Berrick Barnes identified all the ingredients for longevity as a Test back in Matt Giteau, his now rival for the Wallaby No. 10 jersey.

Their opening duel in Perth on Thursday night has elevated the Reds-Western Force Super 14 trial into something far more.

It is a scene-setter for an absorbing 3½months of comparisons to determine who guides the Wallabies from flyhalf in the era beyond Japan-bound great Steve Larkham.

The savvy Barnes took a strong first step yesterday when he diffused every media attempt to turn the trial into a "me v him" joust that might set off needless spot fires all season.

"It's not about me or 'Gits'. You win as a team and this trial is all about the Reds taking another step forward to be ready for Super 14," Barnes said yesterday with a maturity beyond his 21 years.

"Fair dinkum . . . honest . . . I'm just not thinking about who might play for the Wallabies.

"Those things are too far down the track. It boils down to whose team plays well, who stays injury free and, for a flyhalf, how the forwards go in front of you."

Giteau was at inside centre when Barnes played the four Tests of his World Cup initiation and it gave the Queenslander an educational insight into the six-season Wallaby's class.

"Gits is one of the best in the world. Apart from his skills he is the ultimate competitor who always competes until the 80th minute," Barnes said.

"He's a cool customer and his on-field communication is very good . . . two areas that I've worked on improving."

Yesterday's Super 14 season launch creed – "Relight Reignite Rugby" – applies in a double dose to the Reds who must arrest the terminal decline of five losing seasons.

Now skipper and No. 8 John Roe and winger Clinton Schifcofske are to play their first trial minutes against the Force, only winger Digby Ioane (knee) is missing from Queensland's top-choice team.

As a list of names it looks competitive but it is not yet a team with any winning experiences to draw on. That's why victory in Perth would be a vital leg-up into the season proper.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Cordingly Vs Henjack is on display as well

Not to mention the props

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Props, did some one say props !
    Has Queensland got props?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    This game, it is the bit I am most interested in. There are plenty of folk talking up the the Reds forwards, and fair enough with a frontrow of Blake, Moore and Holmes. But, from memory, the Spirit scrum handed both Q'ld packs their arse in the ARC. The Reds have apparently opted for a number of scrums in their trials to date so I can't wait to see how that bit goes...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hopep View Post
    Props, did some one say props !
    Has Queensland got props?
    It's a new season now Hopep, they have props until injuries set in again. Look for at least one to go down before the end of round one!

As for a contest between front rows, or a contest between Number 10s. I'm not sure we'll see everything there is to see tomorrow night, but we will get some indications.

A smart coach will leave something in the drawer until competition points are on the line! That being said, what we will gain a good indication of tomorrow is individual match ups. Gits vs Berrick in the battle of the 'don't look at mes' will be one, Tight five v Tight five in scrums will also be one. As for systems, and procedures, kicks etc, tactics could well dictate that tomorrow night is a lot more predictable than round one will be. Both coaches will want the ball in play a lot, to work on aerobic capacity (the buzzword of 2008)
    both coaches will run the ball into contact a lot to ensure that all their players ar OK with the ELVs at the tackle.
    Both coaches will want a good look at attack off the scrum, so we'll see a bit of that.
    Both coaches will want to give everyone a hit out, so we'll se lots of variations around the field......should be fun to watch!

C'mon the

vCash
    "That's why victory in Perth would be a vital leg-up into the season proper."

good luck that that...
    coz it aint gonna happen

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Last time a saw Rodzilla in the ARC at MES, he could not blow a candle out. Fat and lazy. I dont mind him and i hope for the Wallabies he might be on the money. Prefer him to the current props we have had.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    This game, it is the bit I am most interested in. There are plenty of folk talking up the the Reds forwards, and fair enough with a frontrow of Blake, Moore and Holmes. But, from memory, the Spirit scrum handed both Q'ld packs their arse in the ARC. The Reds have apparently opted for a number of scrums in their trials to date so I can't wait to see how that bit goes...

thats because moore and holmes were playing in france during the ARC, im sure the spirit frontrow would of given anything to be there, as for blake TLH has pretty much covered that topic..........