Thread: There are no Wallabies yet, says new man Deans

vCash

There are no Wallabies yet, says new man Deans

There are no Wallabies yet, says new man Deans

6th February 2008, 8:45 WST

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ontentID=57387

Robbie Deans, the first foreigner to be appointed Australian rugby union coach, has revealed his blueprint for transforming the Wallabies from World Cup flops to international standard bearers.

And it involves starting from scratch and throwing egos out the window.

With the new season almost here, Deans yesterday refused to guarantee even the biggest names in Australian rugby a walk-up start in 2008, promising only that fans should expect his Wallabies lineups to be loaded with tough, tenacious and selfless characters.

“When you look for players, you look for traits,” the Kiwi said. “They’ve got to have the talent, first and foremost. But, at this level, they’re all talented.

“So, if we presume they’ve got talent, the critical component is probably toughness — the ability to persevere.

“It’s generally how they cope with the setbacks. My players need character, an ability to offer to the group, even when their selfish needs aren’t being met.”

Asked which Wallabies typified the spirit of player he was looking for, Deans nominated Stephen Larkham, Stirling Mortlock, Phil Waugh and George Smith among an “endless” list he had admired over the years.

“But I’m not worried about the past. Who’s next is what I’m excited about,” he said.

“Who’s next, who wants in and who’s prepared to do what it takes to not just be there but to make a good fist of it.”

Deans said the perceived lack of depth in the Australian ranks didn’t concern him, and he was relishing the prospect of taking charge of an international sporting team renowned for its toughness.

“You can never write an Australian team off. You do it at your peril and I hope that trait remains and we add a bit to it,” he said.

As if to keep his potential new charges on top of their games, Deans, who will officially take up his Australian post after completing his final Super 14 season as coach of the Crusaders, said there were “no Wallabies” right now.

“But hopefully there’s an excited group of players that see themselves as being Wallabies come June 3,” he said.

Deans said it was already his habit to review all seven Super 14 games each weekend, and that would enable him to monitor the progress of Wallabies hopefuls. Australia’s opening Test of 2008 will be against Ireland in Melbourne on June 14.

SYDNEY

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Mortlock asks if he's still wanted
    Wayne Smith | February 06, 2008

Mortlock asks if he's still wanted | The Australian

STIRLING MORTLOCK is arranging to meet incoming Australia coach Robbie Deans over the next 24 hours, a meeting that could have a huge bearing on whether the incumbent Wallabies captain stays or accepts a huge offer to play in Japan.

Mortlock is recuperating from the third shoulder reconstruction of his career.

Deans is in Sydney at the helm of the Crusaders side that will play the Waratahs in the annual Rotomahana Challenge match at the Sydney Football Stadium tomorrow night.

Deans yesterday indicated that while it was not for him to be chasing Wallabies contenders to persuade them to remain in Australia, he was more than happy to talk with any player wavering on whether to stay or go.

"If there was a player who was contemplating his future and felt that my stance was a critical component, then I'd welcome that call," Deans said.

"It's not for me to impose my will. Clearly I want as many here as possible. I won't achieve that by going to them and telling them what I want. The only way we'll get to that position is for them to make the decisions they have to make."

Mortlock has a career-determining decision to make in the coming weeks, whether to stay in Australia in the lead-up to the 2011 World Cup or accept a $3.75million offer to play in Japan for the next three years.

That's not the only reason he wants to meet Deans, with the issue of the Test captaincy also likely to be raised.

Mortlock conceded his discussions with Deans would influence his decision.

"If he didn't value me, that would give me a fair indication of what I should do," Mortlock said. "But, in terms of what I'm hearing from the Australian Rugby Union, all indications are positive."

Indeed, they are more than positive. They are enthusiastic and straight from the horse's mouth. Asked yesterday what traits he would be looking for in prospective Test players, Deans nominated toughness as the critical component.

"The ability to persevere because that's the point of difference, isn't it?" Deans said. "It's generally the X-factor, how they cope with setbacks."

When pressed to name players who typified that trait, Deans initially prevaricated but then named Mortlock, along with Stephen Larkham, Phil Waugh and George Smith.

"I'm not worried about the past," he said. "Who's next? That's what I'm excited about. Who's next, who wants in and who's prepared not just to be there but to make a difference."

Given that he has a clear picture in his mind both of the kind of player he wants and the type of Wallabies culture he wants the team to embrace, Deans was remarkably relaxed about the selection of the initial squad that will assemble under him on June 3.

"I'd be happy to have no say in the first instance," he said, deferring to ARU high performance unit manager Pat Howard not just in the selection of the team but the selection of the selectors. "Start in June, be given a group, let's get started. In terms of gathering the group, I don't see it as that difficult a task."

Once that squad is assembled, Deans will very much be hands-on. And his will be the dominant voice in any future selections.

Yet he made it clear he does not intend to impose his personality and beliefs on team culture.

"It won't be me that tweaks it," he said. "It will be us. Obviously I'm pretty keen that we stand for something, something more than a win-loss sheet. Off the field is as important as on the field and it's not just about our time here and now."

If this sounds remarkably like the philosophy recent All Blacks coaches have attempted to develop, that Test players are but temporary occupants of the jersey and have a responsibility to those who came before them and those who come after, Deans - the first foreigner appointed Wallabies coach - was happy to acknowledge the debt.

"There's no such thing as a new idea," he said coyly.

That doesn't mean he won't stamp his authority on the job, acknowledging the number of assistant coaches on his staff would be "leaner" than under Eddie Jones and John Connolly.

And he indicated there would be "a lot of discussion" on the John O'Neill proposal that the Wallabies play midweek matches in addition to the five Tests and Barbarians fixture arranged for the European tour in November

vCash
    Does this mean we might not have to put up with that overpaid, no talent hack Lote Tuqiri??

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    "I'd be happy to have no say in the first instance," he said, deferring to ARU high performance unit manager Pat Howard not just in the selection of the team but the selection of the selectors. "Start in June, be given a group, let's get started. In terms of gathering the group, I don't see it as that difficult a task."
    Not sure I'm too keen on this bit. It gives room for politics to start again. I'd rather he came in at the end of the Super 14 season and said "Here's my list, round them up."

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    But if politics rule, he would still have the option of coming in at the end of the Super 14 season and saying "What's this load of old bollocks, are you taking the piss? I won't be asking for your opinion again!"

vCash
    I've only got one concern, his list of admired players.
    Bernie Larkham....Tick, yep, I agree with that
    Stirlo.................Tick, yep no problems yet
    George Smith......Tough as nails, hard at the ball it's a Tick from me
    Phil Waugh..........Are you kidding? In his prime he was never more than a replacement if George Smith got hurt....at the moment he's a washed up never was who occupies the bench because he's got someone pushing his case from the shadows.

I hope Robbie is only putting out press releases to get people off the scent! coz that was a clanger!

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Not so sure G - I've always thought him shaded by Smith in terms of skills, but I've never doubted his ticker. I got the impression that what Deans was after doing was to make it very clear he's only interested in hard bastards that never give up and will run themselves into a puking, bleeding and broken mess if that is what it takes to win.

Last edited by AndyS; 06-02-08 at 16:00.

vCash
    Test players are but temporary occupants of the jersey and have a responsibility to those who came before them and those who come after
    thats how it should be!

i think that the australian teams will benefit from players playing their arses off all season.
    by saying this robbie has thrown it open for every player able to wear a wallabies jersey to be named in the team.
    they just have to earn it. so were hopefully going to be able to watch all of them work themselves to get a go.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah, just like Connelly's classic "We are going to pick on form". I'd love to see something of a new broom approach taken, but we'll see.

vCash
    New broom HAS TO OCCUR.... not that that'll be too difficult with Pat Howard taking the razor gang approach!

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I'm liking most of what I'm reading in the first article.
    Have to side with Andy re Cro-Magnon too, for mine he certainly earned the right to wear the jersey over a decent career, though as debated last season, I would have used him as a battering ram in the first half for Smith to carve in the second however I doubt we will see them both in the 22 much again.
    Roll out "The Bam-Bam"!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Go BamBam

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.