By Samantha Broun
February 05, 2008 THE Queensland Reds plan to use a more expansive brand of rugby to achieve their two major goals in the 2008 Super 14 competition.

Reds coach Phil Mooney says that, as well as reversing their dismal 2007 wooden spoon form, the Reds are on a mission to win back respect from opposing teams and also long-suffering supporters.

"Last year, and lots has been written about it, was our worst year in Queensland rugby history," said Mooney, who took over the role from Eddie Jones in the off-season.

There's a lot of ground to make up after the team's slide from grace in recent years since their last semi-final appearance in 2001.

The Reds only managed to win two games in the 2007 competition and were humiliated with a massive 93-7 loss to the Bulls in the final match in Pretoria, when 13 tries were scored against them.

"Up in Queensland we have a long history of sustained excellence and I suppose in the last five or six years we haven't performed well," said Mooney.

"Last year was as low as we can go, so we're really determined to put Queensland back where it has been in the past, and it's a pretty big challenge, but one that we're on the right track with."

Mooney acknowledged his team had a lot to prove to both fans and opponents.

"I think teams have lost a little respect for the Reds and the people that support us have probably lost a little respect, so we want to go out and perform each week...to earn that respect back."

"The Queensland public have been very supportive of us, but they'll probably want to see how our initial games go...but we're certainly going to play a far more expansive game than we did last year.

"I think that when we get the results it will be appealing and the people will come and watch."

The adoption of the Experimental Law Variations (ELVs) promises to make this season of Super rugby faster and a better spectacle for the fans and should aid Mooney's bid to regain fan appeal.

The Reds kick off their 2008 campaign against the Highlanders.

Queensland captain John Roe said the Reds wanted to make the most of getting seven regular season home games this year.

"We've got seven home games this year so it's just something to look forward to and hopefully we play better and better football crowds will come and make it a better environment", Roe said.

The Australian Rugby Union (ARU) is using the motto "reignite, relight rugby" in its new television campaign to fuel the passions of Super 14 fans.

After watching the ad at the Super 14's launch in Sydney, the Reds' skipper likened the vision of veteran fullback Chris Latham with fire in his eyes to the team's desire to perform.

"In that ad it was interesting to see the fire in Latho's eyes and he's a pretty good indicator of our team, and where we are at, he's certainly got a desire to well this year.

"That's sort of translated into a pretty good pre-season, and a pretty good trial last week...but it's not until we play the Highlanders in the first week that it really counts", Roe said.

AAP

I thought the loss to the bulls was 92-3. No mention about thursday night's game either, maybe they are just focusing on next friday