Thread: New Test coach gives Henjak spark of life

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

New Test coach gives Henjak spark of life

Bret Harris | February 05, 2008

WESTERN FORCE halfback Matt Henjak is looking forward to starting the Super 14 season with a clean slate following New Zealander Robbie Deans' appointment as Australia coach.
    Henjak was once regarded as the heir apparent to George Gregan in the Wallabies' No9 jersey, but he fell out of favour during John Connolly's two-year term as national coach.
    With Gregan's departure, the competition for the halfback position is wide open and Henjak is determined to seize the opportunity to relaunch his Test career.
    "I have a new spark of life, knowing there is a new Wallabies coach," Henjak said.
    "Hopefully, I can impress him. I'll do that by playing well for the Force and if we get a few wins and I play well in those wins, I'll put my hand up at the end of the season. I wasn't the halfback he (Connolly) was looking for leading into the 2007 World Cup.
    "Hopefully, I'm the halfback the Wallabies are looking for leading into the 2011 World Cup.
    "I've never met him (Deans). Obviously, he's very close to Mitch (Western Force coach John Mitchell).
    "He'll be telling him what I have to work on in my game. If I keep improving my basic skills in passing, communication and defence, I'm sure I'll be in the mix at the end of the season."
    Henjak played soundly in the 12-7 loss to the Crusaders in a trial match in Melbourne last Saturday night with Deans sitting in the opposition coach's box. His combination with brilliant Force five-eighth Matt Giteau could also enhance his chance of playing Test football.
    "It's always easy playing with players like Gits," Henjak said. "Gits plays well. He gets us quick ball and gets us on the front foot.
    "The new rules suit our style of game. The way Matt and I play together will help us."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...012430,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Henjak had a good 1st half against the Crusaders before being rested in the 2nd half. However, rather worringly for him, he did also look very much at home as the water boy in the 2nd half!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Hopefully Deans ends the experiment of having Cordingley as heir apparent to Gregan...isn't he only a few years younger then Gregan?

vCash
    IMHO cordingly doesnt have that X-factor that is required at the highest level

Giteau has it, Gregan had it for a long while, DuPreez has it in spades & so does Pichot. Its hard to define but i gues a lot of it has to do with persona, Scrumhalves need to be bigger than life, in your face. Cordingly is too well drilled too quiet.
    Henners on the other hand is a real terrier, a great impulse thinker and superb defender, perfect for the role!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I suspect Deans will look to youth where there isn't an older player with plenty of test experience. Cordingley would qualify on the first but not the second, so I'm thinking 9 will be a youth position.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    For mine the 9 & 10 combination will be wnat he is looking at and if last weeks first half is an indication of things to come the roles will be filled by Matts

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    and already it is all over... sigh

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    he will be back as they say

vCash
    what a difference a couple of weeks makes......