Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Emirates Western Force Suffer Narrow Defeat In Opening Trial

vCash
    Assuming you don't have enough money to by any better backs than that!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    onya force, just warming up!!

cant wait till march!!!

<>

vCash
    *sigh* Jedi had me so excited with his updates and then we lost I guess it was a good opportunity for the young uns to step up and have a go and it sounds like our new VC is on form. This should be an awesome season. Thanks to everyone who kept us informed

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Giteau impressive in new role

John Salvado
    February 03, 2008 02:00pm

MATT Giteau has grasped a perfect first opportunity to impress those who matter most in his new role as a permanent fly-half.

After being shifted around the Western Force and Australian backlines in recent years, Giteau will wear No.10 permanently for the Force in 2008.

The international retirement of long-time incumbent Stephen Larkham also opens up the five-eighth position for the Wallabies, with Giteau and Queenslander Berrick Barnes the leading contenders.

Giteau made several line breaks and set up the Force's only try for Ryan Cross in last night's 12-7 loss to the Crusaders in a Super 14 trial match in Melbourne before being rested early in the second half.

He did enough to impress Force coach John Mitchell and - just as importantly - Crusaders mentor Robbie Deans, who takes over the Australian head coaching position in June.

Deans was pleased with the competitive nature of the match two weeks from the start of his final season in charge of the Crusaders.

And he also liked the performances of Giteau, who "orchestrated and probed and created a lot of stress''.

Although Giteau admitted he was still unclear about some of the new rules in the Super 14 competition, he liked the requirement that all members of the backlines, apart from halfbacks, must now stand five metres behind the scrums.

"It is a trial so you can't take too much from it, but from what I saw out there, there were a lot more holes,'' he said.

"Defensively you've got to work a bit harder.

''(The five-metre rule) took me back to my league days a little bit before I went to a rugby school.
    That's something you've got to get used to.''

The new rules were a significant factor in the Force coaching staff's decision to settle Giteau at No.10.

"We as a coaching group just love him being in a position where he can be of influence,'' said Mitchell.

"He presents the team with a lot of opportunities, he's a guy that loves the ball in his hands.

"Under the new laws, with a bit more ball in play and the free kick dynamic that exists in the game, why wouldn't you try to get the ball into Matt's hands early on?''

The Force hope to have several more big names, including Scott Staniforth, Scott Fava and Lachlan MacKay, back for Thursday's final trial at home against the Brumbies.

The Crusaders' last trial match is in Sydney against the Waratahs.

Champion five-eighth Dan Carter is set to return from a calf injury, although fellow All Blacks Reuben Thorne and Corey Flynn are still doubtful.

Winger Caleb Ralph could also miss the game against the Waratahs on Thursday after suffering whiplash last night.

The Crusaders open the Super 14 competition on February 15 with a home clash against the Brumbies in Christchurch, while the Force are away to the Sharks in Durban.

AAP

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash

Giteau at home as five-eighth

Giteau at home as five-eighth

By Bret Harris
    February 04, 2008

WESTERN Force coach John Mitchell believes the experimental laws will suit five-eighth Matt Giteau's attacking flair after his impressive performance in the Super 14 trial against the Crusaders in Melbourne on Saturday night.

Giteau's sparkling play did not go unnoticed by Crusaders and new Australia coach Robbie Deans.

Giteau, who has played inside centre, five-eighth and halfback in six years of Super rugby, will wear the No10 jersey exclusively for the Force this year.

He was very incisive in the Force's 12-7 loss to the Crusaders, creating plenty of attacking opportunities, which the team could not quite finish off.

Giteau was involved in the Force's only try, to centre Ryan Cross.

Prop AJ Whalley made a midfield bust and raced 30 metres before off-loading to Giteau, who produced some fancy footwork before delivering a lovely pass, as he was tackled, to Cross.

"The coaching group just loves having him (Giteau) in a position where he can be an influence," Mitchell said. "He's a guy who loves the ball in his hands. Not only does that provide an opportunity for him, but it is certainly a catalyst to team momentum. "Under the new laws, with a bit more ball in play, the free-kick dynamic that exists in the game - why wouldn't you try to get the ball into Matt's hands early?"

Giteau enjoyed focusing on one position, without having to worry about shifting to inside centre or halfback.

"There are certain things I can work on with John, in just that one position," Giteau said. "Things I need to work on in that position - not so much worrying about two things. "It also helps the way I want to help the team out. The way I want to play, we can just focus on that. "How I'm going to be able to help the team at 10 and not have to be focusing on 10 and 12, if someone gets injured. "Getting out there and making a few breaks settled me back into it. I'm really looking forward to a positive season."

Deans, who indicated when appointed Wallabies coach last December that he was looking to play Giteau at five-eighth or inside centre rather than halfback, was delighted with his effort.

"He was great," Deans said. "He orchestrated. He probed and he created a lot of stress."

Giteau said he noticed a lot more gaps in the defence, under the new laws. "There were a few questions where I was having a go at the ref (Stuart Dickinson) and I was wrong because I didn't know a few of the laws out there," Giteau said. "It's a lot faster. It's good. The game opens up so much more. That's a trial, so I suppose you can't take too much from it, but from what I've seen, there are a lot more holes.
    "Defensively, you've got to work a bit harder. But in attack, as I say, there are a lot of holes out there."

Giteau said players would have to get used to standing 5m behind the scrum in defence, but the biggest challenge was coping with the extra free kicks, which kept the ball in play more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2