Force youngster ready to roll

31/01/2008 12:22:02 PM
Chris Pike
Sportal

With the host of big name Wallabies on the Western Force squad, young lock Sam Wykes is in great company and if given the opportunity could be a big contributor in the 2008 Super 14 season.

The 19-year-old moved to Perth in October last year to join the Force and is likely to be given a chance to impress in trial matches against the Crusaders this Saturday and the Reds next Thursday before the Force head to South Africa to start the season.

While yet to debut at Super 14 level, Wykes has done everything to suggest he can step up after spending the last two years in the Waratahs Academy.

Veteran Wallabies lock Nathan Sharpe has taken the youngster under his wing, while Wykes has enjoyed the rest of the pre-season after deciding to leave for Western Australia.

"It has been awesome. I've been learning a lot, especially from (coach) John Mitchell who has a lot of experience behind him being coach of the All Blacks. Then there is someone like Sharpey, who is a great mentor," Wykes said.

"I did a pre-season with the Waratahs and all pre-seasons are tough, but I have enjoyed this one. I was in negotiations with the Waratahs before getting the call from Mitch. I then weighed up my options and thought this would be the perfect place for a fresh start in new scenery."

Wykes learned a lot and enjoyed his time under the stars at the Waratahs, but his career highlight so far was being part of the 2006 World Champion Australian under-19 team.

"Waratahs guys like Will Caldwell and Dean Mumm are still young and waiting for their opportunity, I just didn't want to have to wait much longer. I learned a lot in the Waratahs Academy from guys like Dan Vickerman and the coaching was quality there," he said.

"In 2006, it was awesome and that World Cup is my rugby highlight so far. We dipped out in the semis in the 2007 one, but it was also a good experience."
Despite being with the West Sydney Rams in the Australian Rugby Championships, Wykes didn't see a lot of action and that has made him even hungrier to get time in the two trial matches ahead of the Force's week one clash with the Sharks in Durban.

"If I get the opportunity in these trial games I'm going to take it with both hands. I'm looking to get some game time, but if not I am still young and still learning so my opportunity will come sometime," he said.

"I'm looking forward to taking on the Crusaders, as it's about time I saw some action after not getting play much in the ARC. I'm just looking forward to getting out there now."

While he refuses to look past the next two trial matches and pushing to make his Super 14 debut, Wykes hopes to one day represent Australia at the top level. However, before that he knows he will go through a full range of emotions upon his first appearance for the Force.

"I'm going to train this season as if I'm going to be playing, but my best chance might come with injuries as we probably don't have as much depth as other teams. I wouldn't be here if I didn't aspire to play at the top, but my focus is waiting for my opportunity with the Force," he said.

"I have to play well in the trials before I can look at the South African games, but it will be a good experience touring with the boys and I'm looking forward to it. I know I will be nervous, scared and excited all at the same time when I get my chance to debut, but I can't wait."