Toulon's foreign legion of South African, Australian, New Zealand and English talent helped power the ambitious French club closer to the country's top division on Sunday.

Former England winger Dan Luger scored two tries, ex-All Black fly-half Andrew Mehrtens kicked 11 points while former Wallabies skipper George Gregan starred in a come-from-behind 21-15 win over Racing Metro.

South Africa's World Cup winning lock forward Victor Matfield was also instrumental, stealing five line-outs as Toulon recovered from a 9-6 half-time deficit to open up a 10-point lead at the top of the French second division.

"We are in good shape at the moment and we have lots of experienced players like Andrew Mehrtens, George Gregan and Anton Oliver, so we don't panic," said Matfield.

"The team has a lot of confidence at the moment and it's also good to see the young players growing in strength."

Matfield said he was enjoying his life in the south of France but needs time to adapt to his new lifestyle.

"It's always fun when you are winning," he said. "I've played four games and have won the four."

However, mastering the language is another matter altogether.

"I know about 20 words more of French but I have to go on," he said.