Siale fuels Reds' Super 14 hopes

January 28, 2008 - 5:22PM

Former Wallabies vice-captain Morgan Turinui was feted as Queensland's star signing for the 2008 Super 14 season but another ex-NSW centre has fuelled the Reds' excitement levels.

New Zealand-born Chris Siale will make his Queensland debut on Thursday night against a star-studded Blues backline amid great expectations.

"We're all looking forward to watching him play," said new coach Phil Mooney.

"He's training very well and he's extremely enthusiastic.

"We think he'll be very good for us this year."

Siale played just three Super 14 matches in four injury-hampered seasons with the Waratahs but he's already seen as a potential Test player at inside centre.

Such was his form in the Australian Rugby Championship, the powerful 24-year-old was almost a shock World Cup reinforcement for the Wallabies last October.

But an ankle injury cost him a rushed trip to France as selectors opted for the safer choice of Turinui who arrived in Marseille two days before Australia's quarter-final loss to England.

Turinui will partner Siale in the centres in his own Queensland debut at Ballymore after being named among eight World Cup Wallabies making their first appearances for the 2007 wooden spooners this season.

The former NSW duo and NSW Schoolboys teammates will confront a strong Blues midfield of Isaia Toeava and Anthony Tuitakave.

"It will be a good test to see where I'm at," Siale said. "I like it like that.

"One of the main reasons I came to Queensland was to get an opportunity to play some Super 14 and hopefully, all things going well in this first trial match, I get to do that.

"It was really frustrating not getting much game time (with NSW) and suffering injuries as well, so moving up here has been a breath of fresh air."

Indications are the tackle-busting Siale has the No.12 jersey to himself but he will be challenged by Lloyd Johansson who captained a young Reds side to a 26-10 loss to NSW on Saturday.

"He (Siale) has got fantastic feet and is incredibly strong and looks a bit like an NFL running back. I'm looking forward to seeing how he goes," said Reds playmaker Berrick Barnes.

Half Ben Lucas, Andrew Walker and Peter Hynes were the best performers against NSW while former Waratah forward Leroy Houston was solid but underdone.

Houston will get another chance at No.8 against a Blues outfit including All Blacks Joe Rokocoko, Keven Mealamu, Nick Evans and Tony Woodcock.

Halfback Sam Cordingley will skipper the Reds with John Roe given an extra week off before testing his reconstructed shoulder for the first time since surgery last year.

Mooney has also left wingers Digby Ioane (knee) and Clinton Schifcofske (calf) on the sidelines to ensure their fitness for the February 15 competition opener against the Highlanders.

Queensland:

1. Greg Holmes,
2. Stephen Moore,
3. Rodney Blake,
4. Van Humphries,
5. James Horwill,
6. Hugh McMeniman,
7. David Croft,
8. Leroy Houston,

9. Sam Cordingley (capt);
10. Berrick Barnes,
11. Peter Hynes,