Thread: Vickerman Sick Of Tahs

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash

Vickerman Sick Of Tahs

[/B] This doesn't make sense, the heading and first paragraph say one thing, then the third and fourth paragraph say the opposite.

So I wrote a better heading

Deans appointment prompts Vickerman to head overseas
    AAP | Saturday, 26 January 2008
    Deans appointment prompts Vickerman to head overseas - Rugby news & coverage - Stuff.co.nz

Wallabies lock Daniel Vickerman said yesterday the appointment of New Zealander Robbie Deans as Australian coach was behind his decision to head overseas at the end of this year.

Vickerman, 28, offered the New South Wales and Australian rugby unions some small hope he would still be part of the 2011 Rugby World Cup campaign after opting not to renew his contract with them.

Vickerman said the appointment of Deans as Wallabies coach had not been a factor in his decision and he was looking forward to playing under the New Zealander.

"I think he (Deans) will do wonderfully for the team here moving forward and I think it will be pretty good to play under him actually," Vickerman said.

The departure of the 52-test stalwart was rated a big blow for NSW and Australian rugby by Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie.

South African-born Vickerman said it was a lifestyle rather than a money decision.

The studious second rower completes a business degree on February 28 and has been offered the chance to do an economics degree at England's famous Cambridge University, though he said he was likely to defer that offer for about another 18 months.

Vickerman said he would probably play in the United Kingdom, though he hadn't decided who he would turn out for after this year.

"It's a good opportunity to go overseas and have a bit of a lifestyle change, a bit of a refresher and experience something new in my rugby career," Vickerman said.

"Obviously it's a big decision, it's probably been the hardest decision I've had to make from a rugby point of view and I will leave here with nothing but fond memories."

Quizzed about the possibility of him returning to Australia for the 2011 World Cup campaign, Vickerman said "you never say never, it's a long time away".

"Obviously a lot of things depend on that, there's form, there's selection criteria."

ARU high performance general manager Pat Howard said he was disappointed at losing a player of Vickerman's status.

"We're also pleased he's given an indication the door is not closed on him possibly returning in the future," Howard said.

McKenzie said the Waratahs had a stock of young locks coming through, but one couldn't immediately replace someone of Vickerman's calibre as he was without peer among tight five forwards in Australia.

"It's a pretty massive blow, I've got a very high opinion of Dan, my personal opinion is he is probably our best tight forward in Australian rugby and one of our few world 15 players, so to lose him in the longer term is a real blow for us and obviously Australian rugby," McKenzie said.

He said he couldn't be critical of Vickerman's decision as he had played overseas for Paris University in the 1992-1994 off seasons.

"I believe he's got another four good years in the game," McKenzie said.

"I'm hoping as a medium term prospect that he sees and experiences something else in rugby and then maybe comes back to Australia for the last couple of years before the World Cup," McKenzie said.

The 204-centimetre forward said he believed Northern Hemisphere rugby was now producing pretty good competition and he was looking forward to the challenge of playing in the those tournaments.

He doubted whether South Africa's dominance of the Super and World Cup tournaments was a one-year anomaly and he believed the reigning Super premiers the Bulls would again be the team to beat.

McKenzie said he didn't think NSW had bungled the negotiations with Vickerman, but the organisation would review its handling of the situation to see if it could have done things better.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I have a sneaking suspicion that he may be back in time to try for 2011 just from the mood of the article.
    Nothing too remarkable to base that on, just a hunch.
    Hope our young Locks are signed up!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    To tell the truth flame, despite the headline, this doesn't say anything we haven't heard before about his reasons.

Maybe he just really wants to be an economist!

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Vickerman pulls the pin

January 25, 2008 - 1:07pm

Waratah Dan Vickerman has elected not to re-sign with the Australian Rugby Union beyond 2008.

The Wallabies and New South Wales' lock announced his decision on Friday morning after revealing it to his Waratah team-mates at training.

But 28-year-old Vickerman denied suggestions he was considering a move to Europe, declaring the decision to leave the Waratahs was a 'lifestyle and career' choice rather than a Rugby decision.

"Let me say from the outset this has never been about money and I'm fully committed to the Waratahs this season," said Vickerman. "I'm totally focused on winning the Super 14."

"I made that commitment to the team and they were the first to know about my decision which was very important to me."

"I know there's been some speculation about clubs overseas but this decision is independent of that because it's about my career off the field which is starting to take shape through my studies and business contacts."

However Vickerman, who has also previously played for the ACT Brumbies, left the door open for a return to the Super 14 competition sometime in the future.

"I haven't ruled out a return in a couple of years and hopefully I'd still be competitive like Joe Roff was when he returned from a brief break from the game here," he said.

Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie expressed his disappointment at Vickerman's decision but said he would not stand in his way.

"It's a massive loss no doubt about it, but Dan's made his decision and I respect him for it," McKenzie said.

"We gave it our best shot but Dan's mind is made up and I expect nothing less than his best season for the Waratahs in 2008."

"I appreciate his honesty because it wasn't easy to stand up in front of the group and tell them this is going to be his last season. But he did it and did it well."

"This could be his last shot at a Waratahs' Super 14 title so his motivation will be higher than ever before and I'm sure the entire squad will feed off his enthusiasm."

South African-born Vickerman has made 37 appearances for the Waratahs and 33 for the Brumbies after making his debut with the ACT club against the Sharks in 2001.

He has also represented Australia on 52 occasions after playing his first match in Wallabies' colours against France in 2002.
    Sportal

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Maybe he's seen the light and wants to move west

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Maybe his wallet is light and wants to move west

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Bloody Lote

Posted via space