Thread: Wallaby assistants to make way for Deans' lieutenants

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash

Wallaby assistants to make way for Deans' lieutenants

Wallaby assistants to make way for Deans' lieutenants
    AAP | Thursday, 24 January 2008
    Wallaby assistants to make way for Deans' lieutenants - Rugby news & coverage - Stuff.co.nz

Little-known Richard Graham and former test forward Jim Williams loom as Robbie Deans' coaching lieutenants in the New Zealander's first year in charge of the Wallabies.

The Australian Associated Press understands Crusaders mentor Deans will have an all-Australian coaching team behind him with Europe-based duo Graham and Williams to join incumbent re-starts coach Michael Foley.

The Australian Rugby Union won't confirm or deny the appointments, which are expected to be announced early next month.

But it appears the Wallabies' World Cup quarterfinal elimination by England will cost attack coach Scott Johnson and defence guru John Muggleton their jobs.

Muggleton yesterday said he and his fellow-assistants were in the dark over their futures with the Wallabies and still held hope of being retained.

"Obviously defence wasn't a problem at the World Cup if you look at our results so that's got to go in our favour," he said, referring to just four tries being conceded in five games.

"I'm just waiting until (ARU chief executive) John O'Neill gets everyone back together and makes a decision on that.

"If the ARU wants to make me redundant I'll become redundant, my destiny is in their hands."

Muggleton is an ARU employee while Johnson, like Foley, signed a three-year contract when the pair started as John Connolly's assistants in 2006.

Both Williams, 39, and Graham, 34, are relatively inexperienced in coaching terms but are well regarded for their work in the United Kingdom.

Former Brumbies forward Williams played 14 times for the Wallabies until 2001 before finishing his career in Ireland with Munster, where he now coaches.

Williams started his career as a back in Brisbane but made his name as a back-rower and has already shown adaptability in his coaching.

Blocked by Chris Latham at the Reds, Queenslander Graham played little Super 12 rugby before heading to England but did star at fullback for Australia A in a memorable 2001 win over the British and Irish Lions.

He is currently the backs coach at high-flying London club Saracens, who he joined last season after three years with Bath alongside Foley and Connolly.

Added to the success of their current teams, Williams and Graham are both well known to ARU high-performance manager Pat Howard, who is assisting Deans in deciding on his staff.

Howard played with Williams at the Brumbies and went to high school with Graham and played beside him at Brisbane's Marist Brothers College at Ashgrove.

Deans will arrive in Australia just before the Crusaders' February 2 trial against the Western Force in Melbourne and an announcement could be made in Sydney the following week in the lead-up to the annual Super 14 warm-up against NSW.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    New Broom!

C'mon the

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Sounds good to me, cant believe Foley maybe kept.Doesnt know his arsehole from his elbow(wheres Frontrow). We need a clean out and i think we have the man.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    Sweep, sweep, sweep!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    Blocked by Chris Latham at the Reds, Queenslander Graham played little Super 12 rugby before heading to England
    "Revenge is a dish best served cold!" Nice knowing you Latho, enjoy Europe!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Thanks for bursting my bubble Burgs, I was happy with my delusion that Robbie Deans had scoured the World and finally found two Aussie coaches that weren't going to buy into the standard Aussie rugby politics!

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Nah, this is your more standard in-house "payback's a bitch" variety Gigs

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    with leaks like this from the ARU,one wonders if Force1 has a new job

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Hydrangea View Post
    Sounds good to me, cant believe Foley maybe kept.Doesnt know his arsehole from his elbow(wheres Frontrow). We need a clean out and i think we have the man.

I'm back, and i concur, Foley is our main weakness in the coaching ranks, cut him loose...As for the other two, well i reckon Muggo has the goods when it comes to defence, so he would be my only "keeper"...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....