Eager Ellis now senior halfback

23/01/2008 1:56:50 PM
Bob Schumacher
Sportal

Andrew Ellis is clearly the number one No. 9 at the Crusaders now that Kevin Senio has headed to France and the responsibility that comes with that sits comfortably on his shoulders.

For two years, Ellis and Senio shared a keen rivalry for the starting role with coach Robbie Deans often opting to take turns with his two All Black halfbacks.

While Tasman newcomer Kahn Fotuali'i, 25, is senior in years to Ellis, who turns 24 next month, the younger halfback has the international experience with four test caps.

The Crusaders start their Super 14 campaign with the first of three pre-season hit-outs against the Hurricanes before an expected capacity 10,500 crowd at Motueka on Friday night, and both halfbacks are certain to receive good game time with Fotuali'i expected to start on home turf.

But Ellis will be a key player for the Crusaders and he said after their training on Wednesday that he was only too happy to assume a senior role.

"Kahn and I work hard together just as Kevvy and I did for the last two years. He's a really good fellow and we're always out there practicing our passing and kicking together which does make a big difference in a team environment."

A calf injury to Test first five-eighth Dan Carter will keep him out of the Hurricanes clash and the exciting Stephen Brett is expected to wear the No. 10 jersey.

Not that Ellis worries about who is outside him.

"I've played with Stevie throughout varsity and we started together with the Canterbury under-16 team. DC is such a great footballer - you wouldn't need to play with him before to strike up a good combination.

"We're pretty lucky in Canterbury to have two such classy players like that who can make good calls and run the game well."

Although Ellis has been making runs and taking wickets for Diamond Harbour in country cricket recently, his attention is now firmly fixed on rugby and the medial ligament tear he suffered in 2006 is now well behind him.

"I'm in good nick, fit and strong, and excited that the season is just around the corner. We've been training so hard and everyone is in good shape and now just wanting to play.

"Starting this Friday (against the Hurricanes) there's a reward at the end of the week for all the hard work we do."

Leading Taranaki referee Chris Pollock has helped take the players through the experimental law variations at the two practices this week in preparation for the upcoming season.