Robbie Deans sees a change a comin'
By DAVID LONG - Sunday News | Sunday, 27 January 2008
Robbie Deans sees a change a comin' - New Zealand's source for sport, rugby, cricket & league news on Stuff.co.nz

The new experimental law variations could revolutionise the make up of reserve benches.

That's the view of Crusaders coach Robbie Deans, who led his team to a 55-33 victory over the Hurricanes in Motueka on Friday night.

The five law changes which will be trialled in the Super 14 this season are designed to simplify and speed up the game and Deans believes teams may only go with two backs instead of three on the reserves bench in the future.

"The important factor will be conditioning," Deans told Sunday News yesterday.

"Teams will out of necessity have to be able to go the distance the full 80 minutes and that might impact on bench mixes. We may end up with sides carrying an extra forward."

Faster games will mean forwards need to be more mobile and it was a stroke of genius from Deans to lure Brad Thorn back from the Brisbane Broncos.

The tireless Thorn should be a major string to the bow of the Crusaders this year with his strength and speed being two factors of his game.

With 88 points scored in Motueka, Deans feels high-scoring encounters could be a regular occurrence in rugby again, something that's sure to have the crowds flocking back to games.

"The feedback from the players was that it was a lot faster on the ground (against the Hurricanes).

"The five-metres back at scrumtime (for backlines) generates a bit more momentum," Deans said. "Teams are able to get front foot ball and that puts pressure on the defence.

"There weren't that many free-kicks in the game. There were a couple of quick throw-ins and you only need a couple of each of those and you've got four starts of plays that are a lot faster than setting up a scrum or a lineout.

"So over the course of a game it can make a big difference.

"Every team will be excited about the prospect of the new laws," he added.

"You look at the Australian teams like the Waratahs who have Timana Tahu coming into the game and the access to the gainline they'll get.

`You look at teams like some of the South African teams with their big midfielders.

"They'll have the ability to get over the gainline and create some momentum. But also with the extra five-metres they'll have the opportunity to get the ball to the outside (backs) more frequently."

All Black halfback Andy Ellis sprained his ankle in the match and is questionable for next weekend's game against the Western Force in Melbourne, although the player himself doesn't think the injury is too serious.

"I've had it x-rayed but it's just a bit of a sprain and hopefully I'll going again soon," Ellis said.

"I was just running across the face of the defence, I went to hit a hole, got caught and twisted my ankle back over myself, but it seems to be alright now."

Ellis said the Crusader's regular pre-season trip to Melbourne is something the players look forward to.

"I love that trip to Melbourne," he said.

"There's a lot of Crusaders fans over there and it's a nice way to show them what it's about. All the Kiwis over there have to watch is Aussie Rules so it's nice to be able to show them a bit of rugby."