Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: It's Barnes or Beale - Carter

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

It's Barnes or Beale - Carter

It's Barnes or Beale - Carter

Rupert Guinness in Christchurch | January 22, 2008

BERRICK BARNES and Kurtley Beale will battle it out for the Wallabies No. 10 jersey, according to a keenly interested observer - All Blacks five-eighth Dan Carter.

With star pivot Stephen Larkham having left to play in Japan, Carter - who will face his replacement in the Bledisloe Cup - believes the door is open for a number of players to fill the void. He told the Herald he saw Beale, Barnes, Matt Giteau and Julian Huxley as the key contenders.

"[Larkham] is such a great player that I respected immensely, a player you look up to," Carter said of the 102-Test veteran and foundation Brumby.

"Probably because he has played that position for so many years, leaving is going to leave a hole [in the Wallabies' line-up]. But it is also going to leave a real chance for the young five-eighths to really stick their hands up."

But yesterday, it was clear Barnes, of the Queensland Reds, and Beale, the Waratahs youngster, had made the biggest impression on Carter.

"Julian plays a bit at fullback and Matt at half and second five-eighth (No.12)," said Carter, who played at inside-centre before making the five-eighth's role his own at Test and Super level.

"They are all capable of playing five-eighth if asked. But it's important to get game time in that position if they are to cement the No.10 jersey."

Carter, appointed the Crusaders' vice-captain this year, believes Barnes is poised to stake his claim for the jersey since being blooded at Test level in last year's World Cup. Barnes came off the bench against Japan and started at No.10 in the next four games after Larkham was felled by a knee injury that later became infected.

"He would have learned a lot from that," Carter said. "That will help his game this year. He will become a better footballer because of the experience. It is always tough being thrown into the deep end like that. But I thought he responded well on the field. He looked relaxed and a pretty confident guy."

Beale might not have Test experience, but Carter is aware of 19-year-old's ability to turn fortunes with just a few steps.

"He is a young, exciting talent. He has a bit of X-factor … he can change a game," Carter said of Beale, who should play a trial against the Brumbies next week.

"If he can get more consistency to his game, he will be a great player. He has a year's experience [in professional rugby] now. He would have learned a lot in that time. He is another player pushing for the next step up."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    i believe Barnes is a better option...Beale has yet to convince me that his reputation is well deserved, he probably needs some more experience and consistency, and Barnes did a great job at the world cup.

vCash
    I agree Skizz, Beale's reputation exists mainly from the colour of the jersey he wears when playing.

I think the kid has potential, but I am yet to see true Wunderkind potential from him.

C'mon the

vCash
    its barnes for me, outstanding young talent. will he be in perth for the pre season game?.....

vCash
    Noone has Suggested Giteau?????????

hmmmm.

vCash
    That's because Gits is far more valuable as a center unless you're severely depleted inside that position. I would expect Jimmy to slot into 10 for the once he's fit and Gits to jump back to 12......bit more room to move, and Matty gets to hit the ball at speed where he's most damaging he can do 10, and would probably make a reasonable job of it at international level, Maybe better than berrick and at least 150% of what Kurtley could do, but not as useful as him at 12 IMHO.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah for mine too GIGS, I don't like him at #10.
    If they were all fit I reckon you could do a lot worse than an established 9. Henjak, 10. Hilgendorf, 12. Giteau in green and gold than piece a trio of "stars" together.
    With less political pressure and Mitch in his ear, don't be surprised if Robbie runs them out that way in one match this year.
    Jimmy is the perfect "straight man" to Giteau's flair.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    wheres Stanners?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I'm on the record as saying he's a better #12 than Gits Gerry, but apparently those in high places don't agree so I imagine we will see Stanners come to #12 in the second half of matches, being totally wasted, or otherwise playing on the Wing where he is starting to slow down.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Mmmmmm we'll have to agree to disagree on the Stanners vs Gits issue there Gerry, but I'd have to agree he's pretty wasted at the with gits here. how do you think he'd go at 13? There could well be a hole opening up on the Wallabies backline there?

I'm still not sure about Ryan yet. He isn't a wallaby for mine, we'll see at the end o fthis season, but I think he could make a good winger (easily better than Lote)

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think the main issue with Stanners now unfortunately is that time (age) is against him and Deanes will either go for Mortlock for now as a caretaker role and then young blood or young blood from the start.
    I can't see Stanners being the #13 in 2011 so he may be lucky to even make the extended Wallabies squad under a new regime.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Last I heard was that Hilgendorf's injury was expected to keep him off the SA tour and we'll be starting Giteau at 10 and Staniforth at 12. I'm not sure you'd necessarily throw a player back in for a first up game against the Crusaders, so Scott should have at least 4 rounds to state his case.

vCash
    Staniforth is a total waste not to be played at 12, Giteau is a great player (ill go as far as saying he is the best australia have right now) but i think Stanners & Gits can be switched to accomodate the different attacking requirements for different opposition.
    Gits is really good at breaking tight defensive lines with his speed & agility, Staniforth is a better open play breaker and runs super angles.

vCash
    I think that Gits versatility means it makes more sense to play Stanners at 12 and Gits elsewhere. I mean when you slot him into 10 and even 9 on occasion it isn't like he's terrible...its just that its not his favourite position. It is important to remember that rugby is a team sport and the best backline does not necessarily have the best player in each position...its about the combination.

Gits is flourishing atm and I honestly think that whilst he clearly is one of the best inside centres in the world, he has talents which if channeled correctly could make him one of the best fly halves as well. He just needs more time and more training in that position.

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Giteau is the next fly half.

Nobody is a better 12 then Giteau but with Mortlock at 13 and with wingers like lote and Mitchell maybe another unit in the centers will work better and put more pressure on the defence.

I think it will work better with Giteau putting through these big outside backs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast