Thread: Mowen to captain Waratahs on debut

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Mowen to captain Waratahs on debut

Mowen to captain Waratahs on debut

Rupert Guinness | January 15, 2008

As a Queenslander who has just joined the Waratahs, Ben Mowen expects to get a bit of ribbing in two weeks when he captains NSW against the Reds in their first Super 14 trial match at Campbelltown.

Maybe that is why the back-rower didn't bother keeping secret - as he could have - his nickname of "Blade" when asked for it yesterday at the announcement of his captaincy on debut for the Waratahs.

"For me?," answered Mowen with a broad grin before coughing it up: "Oh … they've been calling me 'Blade' … 'Mowen blade', but that's it."

Blade, the former Australian Under 21, Queensland A and East Coast Aces captain was one of 28 players named for the Waratahs' night-time trial against the Reds at Campbelltown Stadium on Australia Day. So, too, was league recruit Timana Tahu, for whom the game will be his first in the NSW strip since switching codes last year, when he played in the NRL for the Parramatta Eels.

While the line-up had a smattering of Wallabies and seasoned Waratahs, it was selected more with a view to NSW head coach Ewen McKenzie giving his untested players a solid run.

The four Wallabies in it were hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau, halfbacks Brett Sheehan and Josh Valentine, and utility back Sam Norton-Knight.

Absent due to injury or for the fact that their talents are well known were Al Baxter, Matt Dunning, Benn Robinson, Adam Freier, Dan Vickerman, Al Kanaar, Phil Waugh, Rocky Elsom, David Lyons, Wycliff Palu, Luke Burgess, Kurtley Beale, Lote Tuqiri and Lachie Turner.

As surprised he was to get the captaincy, Mowen was certainly far from over-awed by the appointment, saying it was "not a new thing".

However, he admitted that in the lead-in to the Queensland clash he will be bracing for a few barbs to come his way from up north. Asked if he has received any text messages from his former teammate at the Reds since moving south to Sydney, Mowen said: "Not yet, but I'm sure a few will come, that there will be a bit of ribbing in the game. That's to be expected.

"I've been accustomed to those type of things. I don't think it will change what I want to do, or what the team wants. It gives extra motivation to just get stuck in."

Mowen will seize whatever game time he gets to impress on McKenzie that he is not just at the Waratahs to be known as a tough trainer. With Lyons out injured until round six of the Super 14, Mowen unapologetically declares his hope to give him and Wallaby Wycliff Palu as big a headache to defend their spots as possible.

"I picture myself as a No. 8, but obviously with Wycliff Palu there as the Wallabies No.8 he has that pretty much locked down," he said. "But I am in there to give him a good run for his money."

Waratahs squad:

Forwards -

Will Caldwell, Kane Douglas, Sekope Kepu, Patrick McCutcheon, Steve Mafi, Al Manning, Ben Mowen (capt), Dean Mumm, Daniel Palmer, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Beau Robinson, Dylan Sigg, Chris Thomson, Jeremy Tilse, Laurie Weeks.

Backs -

Ben Batger, Tom Carter, Daniel Halangahu. Sam Harris, Rob Horne, Ben Jacobs, Alfi Mafi, Lachlan Mitchell, Sam Norton-Knight, Brett Sheehan, Andrew Smith, Timana Tahu, Josh Valentine.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Blade, the former Australian Under 21, Queensland A and East Coast Aces captain was one of 28 players named for the Waratahs' night-time trial against the Reds at Campbelltown Stadium on Australia Day. .
    and it will almost be spot the aussie at Campbelltown Stadium I would guess.

Great Formula 1 hotel across the road if anyone wants accomodation and for a basis fist fight and beer head across the carpark to the Leumeah Inn, a regular haunt for motorcycle club members.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!