Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Harbhajan banned over Symonds abuse

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Harbhajan banned over Symonds abuse

Harbhajan banned over Symonds abuse

Indian off spinner Harbhajan Singh has been banned for three Tests after the International Cricket Council ruled that he racially abused Australia's Andrew Symonds during the just-finished Test at the Sydney Cricket Ground.

The Australians complained that Harbhajan called Symonds a "monkey" during day three of the second Test.

Match referee Mike Procter says he is satisfied that Harbhajan used the word and that he intended to offend Symonds on the basis of his race.

Harbhajan denied the charge and India says it will appeal against the decision.

India lost the match in dramatic circumstances yesterday evening, with Australia taking three wickets in the final 10 minutes to secure a 122-run win.

At his post-match press conference last night India captain Anil Kumble launched an astonishing attack on Australia's cricketers, accusing them of breaching the spirit of the game.

Asked by Indian journalists about Australia's tactics, Kumble echoed something similar to the immortal line used by the Australian captain Bill Woodfull during the 1932-33 Bodyline series against England.

"Only one team was playing with the spirit of the game," Kumble said.

But Australia captain Ricky Ponting has defended his team's actions, rejecting Kumble's suggestion that they claimed questionable catches.

"Anil and I before the series started got together and we actually said that that was the way we'd be playing the series," he said.

"If there was a contentious catch, unless the fielder was 100 per cent sure that he caught it, that the captains would let the umpire know either way."

abcsport.com

India skipper accuses Aussies of bad sportsmanship

India captain Anil Kumble launched an astonishing attack on Australia's cricketers after his team were beaten in the second Test at the SCG on Sunday, accusing them of breaching the spirit of the game.

Kumble was unable to contain his fury after his team were beaten by 122 runs in a thrilling and controversial end to one of the most absorbing matches ever seen at the SCG.

Asked by Indian journalists about Australia's tactics, Kumble echoed something similar to the immortal line used by the Australian captain Bill Woodfull during the 1932-33 Bodyline series against England.

"Only one team was playing with the spirit of the game," Kumble said.

He also said he was prevented from elaborating on his specific complaints about the Australian players but indicated he was upset at the refusal of their batsmen to walk when they were clearly out.

The Indians were on the wrong end of a number of bad umpiring decisions throughout the course of the match but the most crucial occurred on the first day when Australian all-rounder Andrew Symonds was given not out by West Indian umpire Steve Bucknor.

'Sincere', 'honest'

Symonds, who later admitted he had nicked the ball and should have been sent packing, was on 30 at the time but went on to make 162 not out and help Australia recover from a batting slump to make 463.

"We like to play hard on the field and we expect that from Australia as well," Kumble said.

"I've played my cricket very sincerely and very honestly and that's the approach my team takes on the field and I expect that from the Australians as well."

Kumble also bristled when asked about the incident in which Sourav Ganguly was given out after Michael Clarke claimed a catch that was extremely close to the ground.

"We had decided that we will be honest and when a catch is taken the player says he's taken it, the captain nods his head and the umpire gives him out," Kumble said.

Australian captain Ricky Ponting added to the tension after the dismissal, when he could then be seen motioning to Ganguly with a raised finger.

Simmering tensions

Relations between the teams were already strained after Ponting lodged a complaint about Indian spinner Harbhajan Singh for allegedly making a racist comment to Symonds, but the Australian skipper denied there was any lingering bad blood between the sides.

"(I have) Absolutely no doubt about this match being played in the right spirit," he said.

Kumble did admit his team had batted poorly on the last day, collapsing to be all out for 210 when they needed to bat through the day to salvage a draw.

However, he insisted his team still did not deserve to lose.

"The fair result would have been a draw," he said.

"It's tough when you've played all forms of cricket over the last 25 years and end up on the losing side like this."

He added, "We could have probably showed a bit more fight and we could have saved the game."

- Reuters

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    This is precisely the reason why I don't watch cricket. It seems, from my limited experience that the subcontinent teams whinge and complain, and expect that the entire world will bow to their will since they spit the dummy every time they can't have the rules changed to suit them!

Hope I haven't offended anyone with that!

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    This is precisely the reason why I don't watch cricket. It seems, from my limited experience that the subcontinent teams whinge and complain, and expect that the entire world will bow to their will since they spit the dummy every time they can't have the rules changed to suit them!

Hope I haven't offended anyone with that!

only a few billion!!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Hmmmm yeah....now to figure out whether I care!

C'mon the

vCash
    Well I watched a fair bit of this test match and I can understand where both sides are coming from. Symonds was out, and it was an unfair call to say he wasn't, but that is just cricket! You take the good with the bad. Sometimes you will be called out but then hawkeye shows you should have not been given out. Take the rough with the smooth.
    It's a personal decision whether one walks if they know themselves they were out and I bet 9 times out of 10 they just stay. Gilly is just special.

And racial abuse is hardly in the spirit of the game Kumble! Maybe a bit of sledging here and there but someone's race or family should never be brought into the equation. McGrath learned that the hard way!

All in all though it was a bloody entertaining test match and here's hoping the one at the WACA is just as good.

Long live cricket!

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    what ever happened to what happenens on the pitch stays on the pitch......?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    PC got the better of it .. should be allowed to say what everyou want!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    got to agree happy no one heard the comment apart from the two players involved, it wasn't picked up by channel 9 or the microphones at the wickets.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    got to agree happy no one heard the comment apart from the two players involved, it wasn't picked up by channel 9 or the microphones at the wickets.....
    I think you will find that more than just two players heard it.

A bit sledgeing goes a long way in cricket and has done for a long time, some would call it gamesmanship, but calling someone a monkey in an International match where the term had already been used in an offensive manner prior, is not on.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    My Rule!

You can say what ever you want, but you cannot go off the feild and complain about it! Anything goes, if you get upset over a comment it is only because you're too stupid to think of a good enough comeback. If you get someone upset and it puts them off their game - good luck to you!

People need to grow a f***ing skin!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    All these bleeding hearts on ABC radio this morning whinging about the Aussies having double standards etc need to open their bloody eyes (and ears) too!
    Sure Australia play it hard and to the edge of the laws however, they weren't the first ones to go the legal route re racial vilification!
    The sub continent teams have laid their own beds on this one as far as I'm concerned.
    Try using "monkey" on a South African and see how long you live!
    Agree 100% with Jess re walking too, personally I think I would be a "Gilly" but, to my layman's knowledge, the laws of the game say it is the Umpires decision following an appeal by the fielding team or some such?
    An active player may be able to elaborate on that.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    An active player may be able to elaborate on that.
    I was gunna say Jargan could probably help out with that one, but looking at his season so far, calling him an "active" player may be stretching it!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    the trouble with walking is you might get it wrong, you feel a nick on your bat but it was the ground or something, then you've let yourself, the team, your country and the little ex-planet pluto down ... and seriously who wants to do that!! I have the highest respect for the gillmeister but he should think more about pluto in future!!!

vCash
    got to agree with happy youve got to take it as well as you give it...

try this for greatest sledges of all time..

http://blairblogg.blogspot.com/2006/...t-sledges.html

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    POOR OLD PLUTO!!!
    I never realised Happy, Gilly, you ARE a bastard!!!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast