The Sharks have named lock Johann Muller as captain of the 2008 Super 14 squad.

"Johann was a natural choice to lead the team this year, not only as a player but as a leader," said Sharks Head Coach Dick Muir. "He's come from an incredible year in 2007 being part of the Sharks Super 14 sqaud that made it to a home final, captained the Springboks in New Zealand for a Tri Nations match and, of course, was part of the World cup winning squad. He's got the experience, he's got the winning mentality and his positive attitude and no-nonsense approach to the game makes him a good choice of leader for us this year," said Muir.

Since his Super 14 debut in 2003, the burly lock has been an intergral part of the Sharks set up, with 49 caps behind him. Over the past two years he has also had plenty of captaincy experience in the tournament, standing in for John Smit when he has been away on Bok duty. The first match will see Muller not only run out as captain but celebrate his 50th Super 14 cap.

"It's a great honour to be given this fantastic opportunity," said Muller. "I know I am filling in some very big boots left by John Smit, but I am prepared to tackle it with everything I've got. The most important thing about captaining a side like the Sharks is that we've got a great set up in the team, the players have great camraderie and we have an incredible management team behind us, which makes my job so much easier."

"I am looking forward to leading the team out this year and we have our sights set on proving that we've got what it takes to go all the way. The Sharks management have assembled a really talented bunch of guys, all of them itching to get out onto the park and play," said Muller.

Johann will captain a side that features a handful of World Cup wining Boks including Ruan Pienaar, JP Pietersen, Francois Steyn, Albert van den Berg, Bismarck and Jannie du Plessis and BJ Botha.

"We've just returned from a training camp in the KZN Midlands where we all had a chance to have a bit of fun and also take time out to set our targets for the year," explained Muir. "Johann featured prominently in these sesions, making the choice for my management team and I easy when it came to selecting him as captain. The senior players have a lot of respect for him and the junior members really look up to him. I have every confidence that he will do a wonderful job and carry on the proud tradition of previous Shark captains, leading with guts and dignity."

The Sharks first Super 14 match for 2008 takes place on Friday February 15 when they play Australian side Western Force at Absa Stadium, Durban. Kick off is at 19h10.