Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Harbhajan banned over Symonds abuse

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Interesting they didn't list the retort for the first one, which was apparently "The wife's fine, but the kids are retarded"

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah, I understood that there was a come back too Andy.
    Poor old Junior took a bit of a pounding!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I agree that a bit of sledging is all part of the cut and thrust. Racism is another story. It's never OK for mine, no matter what our private prejudices might be. Things can be blurted out in the heat of the moment, sure. But even the sincerest of apologies or feelings of remorse don't pay the price or heal the hurt. So sanctions are a must. That's not PC. Just common decency.

The agreement Kumble and Punter made before the series was only about claiming catches as I understood things. Walking is a personal choice. 99% of the time you know if you got an edge but there's still those one percenters. Catches are similar so maybe with all the camera angles, snick-o-meters, microphones etc these captains agreements are a mistake. As we can see now the technologies sometimes lead to players being accused of cheating when they may be just unsure.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    So by that rationale Shasta, 99% of the time that you don't walk you are cheating?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    indian tour suspended!!!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Indian tour in doubt

Doubts surround the future of the Indian cricket tour of Australia after reports the Indian Cricket Board (BCCI) has suspended its tour pending the outcome of an appeal for suspended spinner Harbhajan Singh.

Harbhajan was suspended on Sunday by the International Cricket Council (ICC) for three tests after being found guilty of racially abusing Australian all-rounder Andrew Symonds during the second Test in Sydney.

Harbhajan has denied the claims and the BCCI said the tour would be suspended until his appeal had been heard.

"The Board will appeal to the International Cricket Council to review the decision of the Match Referee and suspend its operation till the appeal is disposed of," the BCCI said in a statement.

"The Indian Board realises the game of cricket is paramount but so too is the honour of the Indian team and for that matter every Indian.

"To vindicate its position, the Board will fight the blatantly false and unfair slur on an Indian player."

General manager of public relations for Cricket Australia (CA) Peter Young, says they have not heard anything about a cancellation of the tour.

He says Cricket Australia recently received India's hospitality requirements for the next venue.

The Indians have also expressed their anger about the umpiring in the second Test and there are reports in Indian media that umpire Steve Bucknor will not be officiating in the third Test in Perth.

Today Indian players sat on the team bus for two hours before going back into the hotel, despite being scheduled to travel to Canberra for a tour match.

- Reuters/ABC

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ontentID=53434

india suspends tour pending appeal....

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Perhaps the ICB should call up Darrell Hair to hear the appeal...

Last edited by Burgs; 08-01-08 at 08:24.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Ouch InnForcer, when i get home i'll put my thoughts on this up :p

vCash
    I feel some pent-up frustration about to be released Jargan

Personally, based on what i know...i don't feel Harbhajan should have been suspended...however, i don't know what evidence was given or what happened because i wasn't there.

...i don't think Symonds looks like a monkey but he does remind me of George of the jungle or tarzan, with his hair and the ridiculous amount of zinc he wears.

and now there's been a complaint lodged against Hogg...where will it end?

vCash
    on channel 7 news tonight it was stated that the perth test is in doubt...

vCash
    happy Birthday Jargan, and for your birthday you get 4 extra days in the middle of January to spend at work.

War is Gods may of teaching Americans Geography

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    All these bleeding hearts on ABC radio this morning whinging about the Aussies having double standards etc need to open their bloody eyes (and ears) too!
    Sure Australia play it hard and to the edge of the laws however, they weren't the first ones to go the legal route re racial vilification!
    The sub continent teams have laid their own beds on this one as far as I'm concerned.
    Try using "monkey" on a South African and see how long you live!
    Agree 100% with Jess re walking too, personally I think I would be a "Gilly" but, to my layman's knowledge, the laws of the game say it is the Umpires decision following an appeal by the fielding team or some such?
    An active player may be able to elaborate on that.

i think if you step out of the crease during an appeal, or begin walking towards the change rooms you have given yourself out.
    i know that a player can walk and in effect 'give themself out' i.e gilly, but i;m not sure on the exact rules regarding that.

at the end of the day its a players choice if he or she is going to be a walker or wait for the umpire. cant hold that against them really.

and sledging is one thing, but racism should never be brought onto the field of play. thats the kind off stuff you take with you after the game, because australian players being racist in an away tour WOULD NOT be tolerated. so the indians need to think about how they would have acted, and be lucky that the australian team is so forgiving. symonds had to endure the same monkey taunts when the aussies toured india last year and he made an appeal against it then. the indian players should have realised that he wasnt going to tolerate it, because at the end of the day he shouldnt have to.

vCash
    Why is "monkey" racist? Would the same spack be thrown if someone called a person a "lion" or an "antelope"? Personally, i would be like i am a "spunky monkey", "cheeky monkey" etc. etc. If anyone should be offended it should be the monkeys for being caught up in this stupid situation

Personally, i think HTFU and get on with the test series....both teams!

vCash
    Well here we go

Where do i start??

First of congrats on the Aussies for pulling off a remarkable victory, who needs Brad Hogg when Micheal Clake is there to save the day

Firstly I will admit that we were the beneficiary of several umpiring errors, but thats a part of cricket, you will never get rid of bad decisions from cricket, im not a fan of technology being introduced to sort that out though, the same as any other sport umpires are human and some times they do make mistakes. I'm sure that if you asked Anil Kumble or someone involved with Indian cricket or any Indain in genral if India had been on the right side of umpiring mistakes, espeacilly at home, eg at Eden Gardens in front of 100,000 screaming indians and if they say no, please slap them.

Being an active player i have copped a few dodgy calls, thats cricket, true i might not have been 100% happy at the time, i got on with my life. Even at our level of club cricket the idea of walking when your out is dead, i USED to walk when i knew i was out, but several poor decisions by umpires in 2004/05 giving me out when I wasn't made me change that, i figured i was going to get screwed either way. I now stand my ground and await the decision of the umpire, i support any other player who does the same. At our level it is open to abuse, when there is no umpire the batting side provides the umpire.

India is the richest cricketing nation in the world, making millions of dollars a month from television revenues, which generates alot of money for the International Cricket Council.. So India is becomming a heavyweight in International cricket, but not on the field. The threat to suspend their tour of Australia is only in reatliation to one of their bowlers being suspended, so they try to throw their weight around and say that they will suspend the tour untill the outcome of the appeal. I, like alot of other people may have interpreted this as "Overturn the suspension or we go home".

India are trying to throw around thier weight again by demanding that Steve Bucknor does not officiate in the 3rd Test starting (hopefully) next wedensday, directly contravening an ICC directive stating that no nation shall influence umpire appointments.

For Anil Kumble to say that only one team was playing "In the spirit of the game" is a load of rubbish. Australia play their cricket hard, if they appeal for something they think is out (i know that some of you may be thinking that they appeal when it isnt out, every nation in the world does that) thats why there is umpires to judge whether or not it is out. I'm not going to question the age of Steve Bucknor, although funnily enough we were on the end of several of his wrong decisions in the 2005 ashes series, i dont rememeber if we cried foul not to mention it practically killed the caree of Simon Katich, Jason Gillespie Almost destroyed the careers of Damien Martyn, Micheal Clake, Mathew Hayden.

The Indian camp claims that we started the rascism stuff to cover up the umipring mistakes. So therefore cant we counter with their threatening to go home to cover up their poor peformances. THe Indian cricket team has always seemed to have an excuse, they would need one to appease the cricket loving population back home. Their using the poor umpiring as an excuse for poor performances, and whislt they performed in the 1st Innings, they folded inside 2 sessions in the 2nd innings, a feat the Maddington under 10's im sure could accomplish. The old adage of "Good teams overcome bad umpiring descisions" seems waranted.

Just on another topic from the Test Match was the channel 9 giving Ricky Ponting greif over his declaration time, whilst i'm certain he wanted to win (which he did) he had to first make sure that India couldnt win. If he declares earlier in the day and India win he will cop it for declaring too soon.

Basiclly i don't know how many questions iv'e anwered here, feel free to ask, but in summation, India HTFU and play some cricket, possibly some of the cricket that you talked yourself up that you would play, Or go home and hide under a rock in your villages. Aussies whilst it wasnt exactly the best win (umpiring etc) i'll take it, at the end of the day, that SCG pitch had no usual day 5 demons that the SCG is renowned for India had to bat 2 sessions, only 2. Australia didnt win it, India lost It.

I may read this tomoro and sort out the drunken rambling that has been scribbled here tonite on my birthday, but i know that i will stand by it

and by the way i scored a very solid 30 before tearing my hamstring on saturday

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast