Thread: Dallaglio to outline his future

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Dallaglio to outline his future

Tempted to say who gives a f... but I guess it's big news on the International stage, if only as a reflection of Ashton's approach to the next chapter of English Rugby.
    Dallaglio wouldn't be the first player that comes to mind when I think of who I would like to be still available at 35 years of age. Be better off getting Martin Johnston back into kit...

Dallaglio to outline his future

3/01/2008 8:25:32 AM
    PA Sport

Wasps have called a press conference at lunchtime on Thursday (UK time) that will end mounting speculation over Lawrence Dallaglio's future.

Dallaglio has announced his England retirement once already - in August 2004 - and could be set to bow out of the Test arena for a second and final time.

England head coach Brian Ashton names his 32-man squad for the Six Nations on Wednesday and stated upon his reappointment two weeks ago that Dallaglio would remain under consideration for international duty.

But Ashton, who was heavily criticised in Dallaglio's recent autobiography, is expected to favour younger players as he begins rebuilding the team.

Dallaglio started on the bench for the latter stages of the World Cup and played only a peripheral role during the march to the final.

In April the 35-year-old responded to his deteriorating form by questioning his future, hinting he might retire from all rugby at the end of the season.

But he was magnificent in the latter stages of Wasps' run to the Heineken Cup final and after returning from France, he has continued where he left off last term.

With the old war-horse revitalised and close to his commanding best on the pitch, talk of his retirement from the sport has faded.

Instead, Wasps are keen to tie Dallaglio down to a new contract with his current deal set to expire in the summer.

Wasps chief executive Tony Copsey said earlier this week: "Lawrence is currently playing some of the best rugby he's played for a long time.

"We hope he will carry on playing for us next season."

While back row prodigies Tom Rees and James Haskell have starred for Wasps and are expected to become major players for England, they are not yet the finished article.

Wasps are keen for them to continue their education under the watchful eye of Dallaglio, who has led the club to two Heineken Cup triumphs and four Guinness Premiership titles.

His continued presence at Adams Park could possibly involve a tracksuit role with forwards coach Craig Dowd having returned to New Zealand.

Leon Holden has replaced Dowd but the Kiwi's area of expertise is technical analysis and Wasps may see Dallaglio as the long-term solution.

The club have a policy of promoting from within and will be determined to keep Dallaglio, who has spent his entire 17-year playing career at Wasps, at all costs.

Further opportunities could arise with highly-rated assistant coach Shaun Edwards weighing up offers for part-time roles with England and Wales.

Should Dallaglio accept an offer to become player-coach his new duties would be incompatible with England as some Six Nations and club fixtures overlap, forcing his international retirement.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Dallaglio quits Test scene

From Julian Guyer in London, England
    January 03, 2008

LAWRENCE Dallaglio has announced his England retirement with immediate effect, saying he intends to end his club career at the end of the northern hemisphere season.

Dallaglio, the only man to start every game of England's victorious 2003 Rugby World Cup campaign, made the last of his 85 England appearances during the Rugby World Cup final defeat by South Africa in Paris last year.

"I have enjoyed a marvelous run and been the proudest of Englishmen every time I wore my country's jersey," Dallaglio was quoted as saying in the Sun.

"However, I believe my international career has run its course and it's time for me to step aside and make room for the young guns kicking down the door."

Dallaglio made withering criticisms of England coach Brian Ashton, for the way in which he prepared the squad during the early stages of the Rugby World Cup, but he said in announcing his Test retirement that "my decision has nothing whatsoever to do with England head coach Brian Ashton and my post-World Cup observations concerning his preparation early in the tournament".

"Mike Catt and Jason Robinson have retired from the Test arena and I'm doing the same,'' said the No 8, who previously retired from international duty in 2004 only to come back.

"But England is blessed with a number of experienced guys who wish to continue being considered for selection.

"England can also turn to former skippers Martin Corry, Phil Vickery and Jonny Wilkinson to provide the team with a spine of experience.

"For me, the journey began and ended with South Africa.

"I made my England debut off the bench against the Boks at Twickenham in 1995, which began a fascinating journey for me.

"It has been a marvelous experience, and one that I cannot better."

Dallaglio, who played in all three Tests of the British and Irish Lions' 2-1 Test series win against South Africa in 1997, has been in fine form for his club side, Wasps, since the Rugby World Cup.

But he believes the end of the current campaign represents the right time to finish his 17-year career with the reigning European champions - his only senior club.

"I'm probably playing my best rugby in two years, but there will not be another new season for me at Wasps," he said.

"They are my only club and that's how it will remain when my boots hit the bin at the end of the season.

"Long-term, I fancy coaching but it would have to be on the right terms and with the right set-up."

Dallaglio, who also helped England win the 2003 Grand Slam, has led Wasps to four premiership titles and two European Cup crowns, and he wants to win more trophies with the London club before he hangs up his boots.

"I want to end my Wasps career by leading them to another major honour," he said.

Agence France-Presse

Fox Facts

Born:
    Lawrence Bruno Nero Dallaglio
    Birthdate: August 10, 1972
    Birthplace: Shepherd's Bush, London, England
    England Tests: 85
    Tries: 17

1990: Joins Wasps

1993: Member of England's World Cup Sevens-winning team at Murrayfield

1995: Makes England Test debut, as a replacement for Tim Rodber, against South Africa at Twickenham.

1997: Captains Wasps to English title; plays in British and Irish Lions' victorious Test tour of South Africa; appointed England captain

1998: Shoulder injury sees him miss southern hemisphere 'tour from hell' on which a severely where weakened England side fail to win a Test

1999: Resigns as England captain following newspaper allegations, which he denies, of drug-taking; recalled to England squad; drugs charges dropped shortly before disciplinary hearing, after new evidence emerges; fined £15,000 for bringing game into disrepute, and ordered to pay £10,000 costs

2000: Leads Wasps to second successive English Cup triumph

2001: Selected for the British and Irish Lions' tour of Australia; ruled out before the Tests, with a knee injury, and undergoes surgery

2002: Makes Wasps comeback as a replacement against Sale before coming off bench for England's final match of that year's Six Nations, away to Italy; makes his first England start for more than 18 months during win against New Zealand at Twickenham.

2003: Helps England win Grand Slam as well as being involved in Wasps' premiership and European Challenge Cup triumphs; features in England's pre-World Cup away wins over New Zealand, their first on Kiwi soil for 30 years, and Australia - a maiden win over the Wallabies in Australia; starts all seven matches of England's Rugby World Cup campaign, which culminates in 20-17 extra-time victory over Australia in Sydney

2004: Named England captain for Six Nations opener against Italy, after retirement of Martin Johnson; leads Wasps to European Cup and premiership glory; announces Test retirement, with 73 caps, following a 51-15 defeat by Australia in Brisbane

2005: Wasps win third successive English premiership, beating Leicester in Tigers legend Johnson's final competitive match; selected for British and Irish Lions' tour of New Zealand, but ruled out with ankle injury sustained in opening match against Bay of Plenty

2006: Makes first England appearance in more than 18 months, coming off the bench to score a try against Wales in the Six Nations - the last of his 17 England tries

2007: Leads Wasps to European Cup final win over Leicester; starts England's Rugby World Cup opener against the United States, but is sin-binned and loses place in starting line-up; comes off bench during England's 15-6 World Cup final defeat against South Africa in Paris

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    There seems to be a bit of talk about this being the precursor to him taking a forwards coaching role with Wasps. Watch this space!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallaglio
    "my decision has nothing whatsoever to do with England head coach Brian Ashton and my post-World Cup observations concerning his preparation early in the tournament".

Baahahahahaha! Pull the other one!

Old Lozza was not named in Astons 6N squad. But just a coincidence of timing. Tosser.

Last edited by shasta; 04-01-08 at 09:25. Reason: correction

vCash
    Yeah, the timing of his Autobiography had a lot to do with him not being named in the 6N squad.

C'mon the