Beale keen to put his foot down

Rupert Guinness | December 21, 2007

The Waratahs aim to develop and master a counter-attacking game in order to make best use of the new experimental law variations to be used in the Super 14 competition next year, according to star playmaker Kurtley Beale.

Beale, who blitzed the inaugural Australian Rugby Championship this year when the new laws were trialled and was named player of the series, said NSW were also preparing for a lightning fast game.

"Without the [new] laws, we weren't really focused on counter-attacking from our kick-chase and everything," Beale admitted yesterday. "[But] now that is what we are focusing on because we know there is going to be a lot more running. We will be pretty puffed by the 20th minute. That will be a very vital stage of the game, and [so will] using different laws to your advantage … finding the easiest way to get around the hard way."

Beale said the Waratahs had been put through a more gruelling fitness regime than last year by strength and conditioning coach Peter McDonald to be equipped for the rigours of a faster, endurance-based game.

"We have to be prepared for a lot of running, and attack under pressure where execution comes in. Dropped balls can't be allowed, and choosing your right options at the right time is vital," he said.

Beale said Australian sides may be advantaged by having played under the laws at ARC level but warned that any benefit would be minimal and short-term - especially against New Zealand sides.

"New Zealand teams, no matter what the laws are, always have a fast, running game. They always have a good counter-attack and speed," he said. "We [Australian teams] might have an advantage, but it doesn't really matter. All teams are going into a new competition … have goals from the previous year. That's what we are focused on, to try and win the comp."

Saying that, Beale was happy to give his views on the ELVs to be used in Super 14, based on his first-hand experience of them in the ARC, despite the risk the New Zealand and South African scouts getting hold of them.

Posts and flags around the field

Law:
Corner posts to be outside junction of goal and touch lines. Player with ball not out if he touches post, unless he makes contact with touchline or ground beyond it. But if ball not held touches post it will be touch in goal.

Purpose: Not much, other than field marking to possibly maximise players' sense of available terrain.

Beale's take: "I scored a try in the corner in the second round against the Rays. I hurt my shoulder trying to dodge the post. I can now touch the post. [But had I known that law in the ARC] I could have been injury free. (But jeez, it wouldn't have looked half as good!!!)
"I don't think it will have much impact. No one gets on the field and worries about the corner post."

Inside the 22-metre line

Law:
When defender passes, takes or puts ball inside 22m line, the lineout from a kick out will be from where it is booted - unless it follows a tackle, ruck or maul, in which case it will be where it crosses the line.

Purpose: Encourage attacking rugby, rather than kicks for terrain that lead to stoppages from a lineout.

Beale: "Before, you threw the ball into the 22 to [kick out and] gain possession inside an opposition's half. Now, if you throw the ball into the 22 to kick out, the opposition will get possession back from where you kicked. That can play on your mind. Since I have played, the 22 line has been a very important space on the field where teams can really gain possession. That's where a lot of teams can get a lot of good value. For the halves, … it will be tricky. They will have to look out, be alert. If we have a scrum just outside the 22, we can't throw it back in and kick it out, otherwise it is opposition's ball."

Lineout

Law:
On a quick throw-in, ball can be thrown straight or backwards to defender's line but not forwards.

Purpose: To get a quick throw and thus minimise loss of time in set piece.

Beale: "That is a lineout, mate. I am a back. I don't really want to know about anything about that [laughing]. I just want to get the ball and set the outside backs free. I will have to learn that one. I don't know if anyone has [a grasp of] all the new laws yet. Hopefully, we can get them scratched up by the first round."

Breakdown [tackle/post tackle]

Law:
Players must enter through gate. Offside line occurs on tackle. No.9s can't be touched without ball.

Purpose: Allows for quick ball retention and cleaner disposal.

Beale: "In the ARC, the opposition was allowed to have their hands on the ball as long as they want, unless they were off their feet. I didn't like that. It slowed down attack. It didn't allow backs to get ready and use the space in front.

"With the halfback [now], you are not allowed to touch him unless he has the ball. That is a really good idea. Forwards could just reach over the ruck and pull in the halfback. What they are trying to do is slow down the ball. There is going to be a lot of cheeky forwards out there doing that. If they come around this time, they are going to get pinged. That is going to be a very good law for teams that want to play a lot of fast football."

Scrum

Law:
Offside line for players not in scrum and not halfback is 5m behind hindmost foot of scrum.

Purpose: Allows more space behind scrum for back-rowers to run and time for halves to set up attack.

Beale: "A lot more space here, five metres back in attack and defence, as if you are going off the lineout. You have more space to move. In the ARC, that is where we most valued our attack. We ran wide, with a lot of speed. We can use that speed. We are not cramped as much. We can pull off a good move to cut through teams. "That's going to be a good advantage to teams who want to attack, not to attack and just play to set piece."

Sanctions

Law:
For all offences other than off-side, not entering through gate and foul play, sanction is a free kick.

Purpose: Minimises time wasted at stoppages, which leads to faster and more continuous running game.

Beale: "This is the law that is going to really speed up the game. It is good for for teams really getting on the front foot and taking the space. That is the time in a game when forwards are really sucking it in. It is also time for the halves and outside backs to get in and take the space, or try and get a kick to get really good possession.

"That's going to be the main law that speeds up the game. You can take a quick tap or slow it down and use the clock. It also allows for more interplay for forwards to get involved."