Thread: Deans Commentary

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Deans Commentary

If nothing else Knuckles is consistent.
    Consistently erratic that is, only a couple of weeks ago he was telling us how terrible it would be for Australian Rugby if anyone but an Australian took the post!!!

So what if Deans is a Kiwi? He'll be a breath of fresh air

John Connolly | December 16, 2007

The first thing I said when I rang Robbie Deans and congratulated him yesterday morning was that he has my 100 per cent support.

There's no doubt he had the best coaching credentials by a fair distance over the rest of the candidates. In evaluating a coach, that's more important than anything.

After months of speculation and lobbying, the decision has been made. The selection panel, headed by Rod McCall, recommended who they believe is the best candidate. David Nucifora probably put it best after Deans entered the race when he said: "This is virtually all over."

There has been much debate about Deans having roles at both the Wallabies and Crusaders. From a personal point of view I'd like to see him concentrate totally on Australia.

However, if part of the deal to get him to the Wallabies was to allow him to continue at Super 14 level, I can live with that. But I wouldn't be surprised if there are some developments on this front.

The next step for Robbie is to sort out his assistants in conjunction with the ARU board.

Managing the Wallabies - I presume he will work with a squad of 30-35 players - requires the best possible support network.

Should he choose to run with the status quo - assistant coaches Michael Foley, Scott Johnson and John Muggleton - he will have the backing of three outstanding men. However, that decision is up to him.

Much has been made about the fact Deans is a Kiwi and it's been suggested he won't understand the culture of our players. I don't buy into that. I've coached here and overseas and I've found that no matter where you go, young men are similar the world over. It won't be an issue.

After a couple of years in the job, nothing would give me more pleasure than watching the Wallabies win the Bledisloe Cup and the Tri Nations over the next few years. This is a great move for Australian rugby.

Unlike many other Australian sports, our rugby team is truly judged on the world stage. The best team at the moment is still the All Blacks and after that it's close.

Rugby here is very different to New Zealand, South Africa or even Europe in that we compete with three other football codes.

For whatever reason, we always seem to be involved in politics and self-interest within our ranks. Hand grenades are thrown over the fence regularly by officials, coaches and players.

To get back to the top of the tree we need to leave our egos at the door. I've said many times the negative press affects the players and the growth of the game. In my two years in the Wallabies, some of the personal agendas have been very harmful to rugby.

I believe Robbie Deans will be a breath of fresh air. The Australian public and rugby supporters have every right to be upbeat.

Source: The Sun-Herald

Deans 'a big catch' for Wallabies

By Iain Payten
    December 20, 2007

PERCHED on top of a wobbly fence post catching sandshoes, Brad Thorn didn't have the concentration to waste on the madness in Robbie Deans's method.

The rugby league convert was in a process of "not so much re-education as full education" of rugby union, having left Brisbane Broncos in 2001 to chase a dream at the Crusaders.

Keen to drill home a point about lineout jumping, coach Deans pushed Thorn up a fence and began the lesson.

"He had me up on the post, throwing a shoe to me over my head and I had to catch it," Thorn recalls.

"The thing about the fence post was I had to keep my legs together. When you are in a lineout and get lifted, you have to keep your legs together.

"He was just working with what he had in front of him. I'd like to think it worked."

It worked well enough. In three years under Deans's tutelage, Thorn won a Super 12 title in 2002 and played for the All Blacks at the 2003 World Cup.

He credits Deans for much of his success.

'There would seem few better than Thorn to give insights into Deans and his suitability to coach Australia.

"I've basically only had two coaches, Wayne Bennett and Robbie," Thorn said.

"I thought Robbie was a loss for New Zealand obviously. But it's a great gain for Australia. Massive.

"Wayne expected your best, and so does Robbie. They're similar in that they're both intensely competitive.

"The differences? Well, Wayne is more likely to give you a kick up the bum."

Deans played 146 times for Canterbury in the 1980s and five Tests at full-back for the All Blacks.

As Crusaders coach, he took the team to four Super titles from six finals.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I really don't have much respect for this bloke... He bangs on about how 'Hand grenades are thrown over the fence regularly by officials, coaches and players.' (let's not forget reporters)
    and 'I've said many times the negative press affects the players and the growth of the game.'
    Whilst being the most negative of the reporters I've seen in recent times. Leading a campaign of Force-Bashing and Innovation Killing that would've been over the top in Stalin's Russia!

If he had any integrity, he wouldn't have written this one. I can only assume he's sucking up to get Robbie inculcated in the chardonnay set!

C'mon the

vCash
    great articles burgs, it will be intresting to see who deans assistants will be, i rekon he will get some more kiwis.

is John Connolly is a journalist now?

vCash
    My money's on two Aussies, David Nucifora and John Mitchell!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    My money's on two Aussies, David Nucifora and John Mitchell!
    Interesting???? John Mitchell an Aussie??????????????????????

BLACK IS THICKER THAN BLOOD

vCash
    He is now!

He's ours and you can't have him back!

C'mon the