Thread: Melbourne Super 14 key to luring Pumas

Legend Contributor
    vCash

Melbourne Super 14 key to luring Pumas

I'm sorry, but our game really does seem to be administered by a bunch of drunken monkeys. I can't even be bothered pointing out the glaring flaws in this load of bollocks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    December 21, 2007

A Super 14 expansion side of Australians, Argentinians and Pacific Islanders playing out of Melbourne could be the key to tying the Pumas to the southern hemisphere's elite competitions, ARU deputy chief executive Matt Carroll says.

Carroll revealed he had met with Argentinean officials and said SANZAR partners Australia, New Zealand and South Africa were keen to find ways of "refreshing" the Super 14 and Tri Nations competitions as southern hemisphere rugby heads towards a new broadcast deal in 2010.

Also on the agenda is a marquee player system, which could allow Australian players to link with any Super 14 franchise.

As well as securing a bankrolling TV rights deal, the measures would be designed to address the worrying player drain to cashed-up European clubs.

"Unless we have strong competitions in the southern hemisphere, both in terms of quality rugby and strong financially, then we won't be able to retain our players," Carroll told reporters.

"And I'm not talking about the Chris Lathams, I'm talking about your Berrick Barnes' and the young guys."

Retaining players is a do-or-die exercise for SANZAR because the broadcast dollars would dry up considerably if the best players quit Super rugby and also couldn't return home for the Tri Nations Test series, which is not played in a northern hemisphere international "window".

The solution, according to Carroll, is to get the Super 14 humming.

"It is making sure Super 14 is powering along, make it an attractive competition," he said.

"(If it) keeps the players, generates money, you can pay the players their salaries."

Carroll said he met officials from World Cup semi-finalists Argentina, who sit on the sidelines of both the Six Nations and Tri Nations, at the IRB conference in England earlier this month.

"Their initial solution was to play in Europe but they've been rebuffed," he said.

"Does the Tri Nations need freshening up? Yes it does. Could Argentina provide that freshness? Quite possibly yes. What have we got to do? Make sure that the Argentineans have their best players so we've got to find a solution for that."

It might not seem obvious, but that solution could be Melbourne.

"You want Argentina to come into the Tri Nations, you've got to get Argentinean players somehow, whether it's with additional teams which could be the key, into the Super 14," Carroll said.

"Then they're playing at the same time as us and their players can be released to play for Argentina when we're playing the Tri Nations.

"I don't think Australian rugby at the moment could tolerate an extra team out of our resources. Four teams seems to be where we're at the moment.

"But that doesn't mean we can't have other teams come into the competition."

Carroll said that could mean some Australians, Argentineans and Pacific Islanders representing a new Melbourne franchise, particularly in the wake of the Australian Rugby Championship's demise and, with it, outpost team the Melbourne Rebels.

"There's all sorts of opportunities there so that's where we've really got to start to open our minds to a few possibilities," he said.

Carroll was part of ARU chief executive John O'Neill's team at Football Federation Australia and helped set up an A-League marquee player system which has snared the likes of Dwight Yorke and Juninho for Sydney FC.

"Australians could be marquee players in other Super 14 teams so you start to look at it competition wide as distinct from narrowly in your own backyard," Carroll said.

A move to 16 teams, pool matches to reduce travel and a top five or six finals system would also be considered, Carroll said.

© 2007 AAP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    A Super 14 expansion side of Australians, Argentinians and Pacific Islanders playing out of Melbourne could be the key to tying the Pumas to the southern hemisphere's elite competitions, ARU deputy chief executive Matt Carroll says.
    What did I tell you?

I remember spitting this out of my butt about a week ago as a left-field solution to the problem of Argentine players not being able to play in Argentina. I also seemed to be a bit of an idea towards diving the Islands a foot in the door as well.

Matt, Give me a call mate, if you liked that one, you'll love what I've got for you to do with a third-tier rugby competition in Australia!

A serious look at the problem might be for each of the three unions allowing Argentine players to play in their respective provinces under the auspices of Argentine rugby. They could be subsidised by the Pumas, and not cause a drain on payer talent, since the squad sizes could be introduced to accommodate the extra numbers. Across 14 teams, you'd only need (say) 30 players to make a (somewhat) competitive training squad for tests and (best of all) you wouldn't need to alter broadcast rights, we could start it from this year.

Quite frankly, it's easy to come up with a zillion different ways of solving these problems, the rub comes when you try and hammer out the details around the negotiating table. Guaranteed I could come up with another five or six ideas at least as good as these if I tried, but you need to get a diverse group of stakeholders to agree with each other don't you?

C'mon the

vCash
    I'ill have whatever he's on

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    [SIZE=4]What did I tell you?

I hear ya GIGS20. If nothing else I like the idea of an expanded finals series. Another week of competition and the top 8 get to tussle and it makes the competition a bit more exciting rather than 'ohh my team lost the first 4 matches they're written off this year.'

vCash
    yea all these ideas are great but there not going to get off the ground anytime soon. the players should just stay in there own country and all the other ideas can wait.

i think s14 is all contracted to 2010 and after the last season of that they can change it to whatever they want. im sure something will be done about the south americans and pacific islanders then.

vCash
    Perhaps they could all stay home and play in local club rugby, like the ARC players are expected to do now!

C'mon the