Thread: Giteau is Deans's man

vCash

Giteau is Deans's man

Giteau is Deans's man
    PlanetRugby, Monday 17th December 2007

Matt Giteau is important to Robbie Deans

After months of speculation it looks highly likely that Western Force utility back Matt Giteau will take over the reins in the absence of Stephen Larkham as Wallaby fly-half.

Wallaby coach Robbie Deans has indicated that "Kid Dynamite", as Giteau is affectionately known, would feature prominently in his plans to create stability in a back-line that has lost 241 Tests' worth of experience in Stephen Larkham and George Gregan.

Giteau is an experienced campaigner with 51 Test caps to his name and is regarded highly by Deans.

"You have lost a great player in George Gregan and a great player in Stephen Larkham, and also those important leadership points," Deans told the Daily Telegraph on Monday.

"I'd be very disappointed if Giteau wasn't playing to a standard where he became a solution to those problems.

"I think he can do that, and most probably in the five-eighth role, at ten or twelve," added Deans.

"He's a player that can play in any team [in the world]," added Deans.

The other challenge for Deans will be to find Giteau a suitable half-back partner, which is a position that is still definitely anybody's for the taking.

However, he was quick to point out that Giteau was not an option at scrum-half.

"It has historically been an area that's an issue - hence the initiative to [move] Matt to nine - and the solution is yet to present itself.

"I'm expecting someone will put his hand up this year. We'll just have to wait and see who it is," Deans said.

It could be a tight race indeed, with Brett Sheehan (Waratahs), Josh Holmes (Brumbies), Matt Henjak (Force) and Sam Cordingley (Reds) all very competitive candidates for the position.

While Deans has Giteau in his plans, he has made it very clear that he will not select an Australian team purely on reputation.

"There are no Wallabies currently. There will be 15 names in June," Deans said.

"There won't be any guarantees. There will only be a guaranteed opportunity. We will select a mixture that function well as a team.

"What you have got available is your various talents. I guess the art of coaching is bringing them together."

Deans also said that he would not necessarily select the most talented players either, but rather he was looking at players that could function best together as a unit.

"Some may have an opinion that one talent is better than another, but whether that talent fits a need or not, who knows? We'll know only at the time."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Hope Henjak has a good year. He's got the whole Super14 to hone his skills with Gits.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    I'm just happy we've finally got a coach who knows his name!

IMHO, if Gits plays 10, the only option in that list is Henners, both those guys lift when they play together, imagine how they'd go in a Wallabies jersey!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    However, he was quick to point out that Giteau was not an option at scrum-half.
    Thank freaking god someone has realised that.... I would love to see Gits at 10. I think he would just flourish there but i'll be sad not to see him in 12.

It could be a tight race indeed, with Brett Sheehan (Waratahs), Josh Holmes (Brumbies), Matt Henjak (Force) and Sam Cordingley (Reds) all very competitive candidates for the position.
    I'm not convinced you can go past Henjak. If he maintains and then builds on the form he displayed in the ARC then he will be a phenomenal force (excuse the pun) this season...I'm really excited to see where he goes. And with a Henners/Gits combo that will be something beautiful to watch.

While Deans has Giteau in his plans, he has made it very clear that he will not select an Australian team purely on reputation.

"There won't be any guarantees. There will only be a guaranteed opportunity. We will select a mixture that function well as a team.

Deans also said that he would not necessarily select the most talented players either, but rather he was looking at players that could function best together as a unit.
    God i hope this means Tuqiri is out. Smart game plan by Robbie on this one.

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna View Post
    I'm not convinced you can go past Henjak. If he maintains and then builds on the form he displayed in the ARC then he will be a phenomenal force (excuse the pun) this season...I'm really excited to see where he goes. And with a Henners/Gits combo that will be something beautiful to watch..
    Yaks impressed me abit this season and showed good leadership with the Spirit. Being a former scrummie myself, I normally critically watch Yaks (and other scrummies) and still believe there's one critical element of his game that selectors will continue to mark down. I refer ofcourse to his delivery off the bases (rucks, scrums and to some degree mauls) which are, IMHO, still slow and not ideal for a running/attacking fly. He's improved this part of his game this year compared to 2006 but I think there's still work to be done. Paraphrasing FT, Yaks has the full season to figure out how Gits likes his ball. Crappy passes especially in critical situations, no matter how good the rest of his overall game is, will be the force behind the axe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jehna View Post
    God i hope this means Tuqiri is out. Smart game plan by Robbie on this one.
    I think you should redirect your hopes. I doubt Robbie will have the autonomy to dump Cost-a-Lot(e).