Thread: Bye bye Latham

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash

Bye bye Latham

This is from Foxsports:

By Jim Tucker
    December 18, 2007 CHRIS Latham has agreed to a multi-million-dollar deal in England which means one of Australia's most potent attackers has been stripped from the rebuilding plans of new coach Robbie Deans.

The irrepressible full-back is to link with cashed-up English club Worcester for up to three years after he devotes a final season to the Queensland Reds in the 2008 Super 14.

Reaching the decision has been an emotional wrench for Latham for more than two months with his loyalty and love of Australia balanced against an offer too good to refuse.

English sources revealed on Monday that Latham had finally decided to head to Worcester where former Red Shane Drahm and former New Zealand All Blacks Rico Gear and Sam Tuitupou play.

He will be a huge loss to the spectacle of Australian rugby, not just because of his 40 Test tries but because his individual brilliance, crowd-revving try celebrations and passion are such trademarks.

It is still uncertain whether Latham's unblemished service to Australian rugby - 78 Tests and 11 seasons for Queensland and New South Wales - has earned him an early contract release in 2008.

The prospect remains that Latham, 32, will be available for the nine Tests of next season's domestic and Tri-Nations program but freed to miss the end-of-season tour to Europe.

If so he will have the chance to thrive in the initial backline remix that Deans is to mastermind to sharpen Australia's stuttering attack.

With George Gregan commanding at least $600,000 a season at French club Toulon, Latham should earn a cool $2 million-plus for a three-year stint at Worcester.

High performance manager Pat Howard pitched the Australian Rugby Union's case to Latham to extend his Wallabies career to 2010.

Rather than the big contract guarantees of Europe, the ARU offer was laced heavily with incentives which would only kick in with each Test Latham played.

It covered the governing body's reasonable concerns, that despite his non-stop energy, he will finish 2010 running on 35-year-old legs.

Latham isn't slowing down. He was at Queensland's pre-season training in late October when World Cup teammates were still on leave.

Its sad to see Latham leave but I'm glad the kitchen sink wasn't thrown at him to get him to stay. At the moment I'm thinking Cam Shepherd has 15 written all over him. Here's hoping he'll have another excellent season (injury free).

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    As much as i'm wishing Latham all the best and am glad that he has got the opportunity to widen his experiences...all i can think about is...........that Shepherd will now have a huge chance to be selected at 15 and hopefully his season next year proves it.

vCash
    Go Cam, I told him he'd be playing 15 in France (before the 2007 season started actually) I guess I was only a year late.

I hope Mitch puts Cam and Drew in the right positions this year and allows them to play their natural game!

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I think no matter where they play they'll both play as roving full backs just swapping back and forth. I certainly hope he re-signs when his contract is up at the end of the year.

vCash
    a major loss for the wallabies set up, it'l be up to the younger players now to fight it out to see who replaces him, as for latho $2million over 3 years can't be bad ......

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    a major loss for the wallabies set up, it'l be up to the younger players now to fight it out to see who replaces him, as for latho $2million over 3 years can't be bad ......
    Deans is only getting $2 million for 4 years....thanks for your services Chris, an absolute champion of the game

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    IMHO Cam will be as good if not better than Latho

You Go Shep! good luck Chris and thanks for all the fish!

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Good on him, he deserves to top up his super. A great servant of Oz rugby.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    Good, make some room for some more Tah players!! Happy days!

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    he is a big loss for Australia, there is a gap between him and the rest but im sure they just need more experience at international games to get used to it.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Latham 'not bitter' despite ARU offer

December 18, 2007 - 7:26PM

Departing Wallabies fullback Chris Latham said a "pretty disappointing" Australian Rugby Union offer led to the agonising decision to head for Europe next year.

But the Queensland Reds match-winner said he was "not bitter" after confirming he would cut ties with Australian rugby and take up a three-year deal with English club Worcester in 2008.

Despite his age of 32, Latham believes his best years are ahead of him.

But the ARU offered Latham a two-year contract extension loaded with incentives that would only kick in with each Test played.

After two months of soul searching, the 2006 John Eales Medallist made the painful decision to leave Australia next year.

It ensures the 2008 Super 14 season - his 11th with the Reds - will be his last.

And Latham is set to make his Wallabies swansong in the Tri-Nations finale in September, fittingly in his home city of Brisbane.

"No, I'm not bitter. No, I'm not angry. No, I'm not disappointed," Latham said.

"It now gives me an opportunity and I am excited about it. To be honest, I just want to move on and get on with it."

But the Wallabies' most-capped fullback clearly had a difference of opinion with the ARU.

"Had I been offered the same amount of money that I was on this year for the next few years (by the ARU), I would have definitely stayed," said Latham, a veteran of 78 Tests.

"So it has been pretty disappointing in that instance that I couldn't come to that agreement here.

"The (ARU) offer was incentive-based and I really didn't think given my position that I needed incentives to play rugby - I never have."

He may be at an age when many professional rugby players start slowing down but Latham said he was hardly past his prime.

"They (ARU) obviously thought that I wouldn't be able to carry through for too many more years, and that's the line that they've taken," he said.

"I firmly believe that I am yet to play my best, most consistent rugby yet.

"It's quite easy to label people at 32 and say they are getting old but I think in rugby years I am very young."

He passionately denied that the UK move was about money.

"That's not the reason why I am quitting here. It's just a fact of life that it is time to move on, time to refocus, get some new fresh goals," he said.

"I am happy with the decision. I think it is the right time now given the circumstances - it gives me more time to spend with my young family."

Latham said he was focused on a fitting farewell with the Reds.

"I'll be making sure I have achieved pretty much everything I've ever wanted to achieve in rugby - one of those major goals is win a Super 14," he said.

Easier said than done.

Queensland collected their first wooden spoon in 2007 after Latham missed the Super 14 season due to a knee injury.

"I've said for a long time I want to leave Queensland in the same state as it was when I first came in (in 1998)," Latham said.

"It's no secret we are not as good as we once were but we have made exceptional advancements in the appointments that have been made - I've no doubt we can give it a shake."

Latham also vowed to make the most of his time under newly-appointed Wallabies coach Robbie Deans.

"The timing of it (Deans' appointment) all makes you think it would be nice to have a few years under him, but I get the opportunity of one more season and I will make the most of it," he said.

An emotional Latham told his Reds teammates in Brisbane on Tuesday morning but was clearly relieved that his future had been decided.

"I haven't mentally been there (since returning from the World Cup," he laughed.

"I'm glad I didn't do it through the season because I wouldn't have got through it - I'm now going to have a good Christmas."

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Hard to see a fullback of Latho's ability (sorry Cam) at present..I'm talking about someone who consistently breaks quality defensive lines, rarely faults at the back and has a sure-fire boot. For $600k+ a year..I'd be packing up as well..

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think Latho has been one of our best ever and could well have been the difference in the 2003 RWC Final, huge boots for Shep, Mitch or Turner to fill.

On the contract issue, I believe the ARU (for once) to the right approach and if Latho thought his best years ahead of him and that he would be available for every Test then surely he would have signed straight away.
    Despite the statements there is obviously concern after this season that he may not see out the period and therefore might not get the money.

He deserves better than to be remembered for contracts than awesome skill though so all the best mate

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Yeah a little disappointing that the great man had to finish with 'it's not about the money but.....'

I've found whenever anybody says it's not about the money, it is usually EXACTLY what it's about.

Shame really, he deserves to be remembered better than that, and I certainly don't begrudge him a paycheck.

Just trying to think of him scoring tries (that was always great to watch!)

C'mon the