Thread: Wilko backs Ashton for coach

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Wilko backs Ashton for coach

Wilko backs Ashton for coach

11/12/2007 8:04:36 AM
    PA Sport

Jonny Wilkinson has backed Brian Ashton to remain as England rugby union coach after hailing his man-management skills and ability to enable players to perform 'without fear'.

Ashton's contract with the Rugby Football Union expires on December 31 and he has made it clear he wants to remain in the role and build on England's achievement of reaching the 2007 World Cup final in France.

The RFU is set to make a decision on his future in the next couple of weeks but first five-eighths Wilkinson has no doubts about Ashton's ability to take England forward.

Wilkinson, part of the England side voted team of the year at the BBC Sports Personality awards, said: "I am a big fan of Brian. I have been ever since I got involved with him around 1998-1999."

"He has always been a guy that can take the game forward."

"He can create an atmosphere and also release players into being fully ambitious and really daring to go out and play as opposed to fearing failure and that is so important nowadays."

"You can only go on what you've seen and the guy has taken us to the World Cup final and he has taken the game forward in what was a tiny, tiny space of preparation."

"We had a matter of a couple of months to get ready for the World Cup. If the guy can have that sort of affect in such a short period, then he is worth his salt."

Wilkinson added: "Brian's man-management skills are fantastic. He keeps you in the know, he goes to you with advice but listens as well to what you have to say. He ensures you are comfortable and happy but also makes sure you know what is going on.

"From a coach, that's what you need at this level. There is enough pressure flying about out there on the pitch with having to do your job against opposition trying to ruin things and trying to fit all your plans and moves in out on the field."

"The last thing you need is anything but 100 percent collaboration off it and that's what Brian gives you. He has got ambition, that ability to make you feel comfortable which allows you to stop fearing failure."

"You don't want the guys in there looking over their shoulders all the time thinking 'is it going to be me not playing next week?'"

"What you actually want is guys just out there saying 'this is fun' and that is the environment he creates."

Several England players were critical of Ashton in the aftermath of the World Cup.

But Wilkinson insisted: "I think Brian is capable of coming back from whatever. I can only speak for myself. We know what it took to get to that final."

"We also know that Brian, if his future is with us, will go straight to the next step and rugby, for me, is the truest team game of all."

"That's why you succeed, because you stick together, and, if Brian is there, I am sure that is exactly what will happen. What has happened will have helped him grow and the respect will have grown for him through that."

Ashton confirmed: "I want to continue in the job. I want to win the 2011 World Cup because I've got players coming through the game that can do that."

"Having failed this year, I'd like to be successful next time around. I've had a lot of communication with Rob Andrew at the RFU. My contract runs out December 31 and there will be a statement as to what is happening next."

As regards the comments of players after the World Cup, Ashton said: "I'm not interested in them. No interest whatsoever. I was very surprised but I have no feeling about it."

"We had a meeting after losing the group game against South Africa, which you would expect. We had a meeting, we sorted out one or two things and that was it. We went forward from there."

"I had been in those meetings loads of times at Bath in the 1990s when we won every tournament going for about six years on the trot."

"Do I feel I still have backing of the England players? Yes."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Johnny tell some one who cares

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Eat shit and die Jonny, Johny,Johnnie, Wilko whatever your name is. Who gives a rats?

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing