Thread: Robbie Deans expresses interest!

vCash

Exclamation Robbie Deans expresses interest!

The Australian Rugby Union has received an expression of interest from Robbie Deans regarding the Wallabies coaching position.

ARU chairman Peter McGrath -- emphasising the organisation is committed to finding “the best person for the job” -- has requested that the existing selection panel, providing they consider Deans suitable for inclusion in the process, now interviews him before submitting its final report to the ARU Board on Thursday.

The panel has agreed to interview Deans later this week.

“This in no way derails or affects the timing of the process already underway,” said Mr McGrath.

“If late in the day a coach with a record worth considering comes forward, then we should avail ourselves of the opportunity to interview him and include him in the process along with the other candidates.

“The direction from the Board to the selection panel was to find the best person and the ARU remains committed to that position.

“The Australian rugby public would demand, and should expect, nothing less from us.

“As a result, it is incumbent on the selection panel to interview any interested person that might be considered a genuine candidate for the position as Wallabies coach.”

Mr McGrath said ARU policy was in no way compromised by offering Deans, a New Zealander, an interview.

“The policy that stated only an Australian could coach the Wallabies was changed well before we went to the market to find a coach for next year,” he said.

“It was changed because the ARU Board agreed our aim for the future had to be: always find the best person.

“Effectively, that is the brief the Board has passed down to the selection panel.”

The panel assembled to conduct the interview process has to date met with five Wallaby coaching candidates – Laurie Fisher, Alan Jones, Ewen McKenzie, John Muggleton and David Nucifora.

A comprehensive report from the panel will be submitted to the Board for its consideration on Thursday.

The ARU Board will hold a two-day meeting in Sydney on Thursday-Friday. The coaching issue is one of several items on its agenda.

Barring other developments, the ARU will be making no further comment on the coaching process until after the Board’s discussions.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Brother Gallagher I hear you

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Well, I think everyone should know my position by now however, imagine if he doesn't get it!
    Two kicks to the coaching nuts in a couple of weeks
    That would have to smart...and fire a hatred of the Wallabies for future AB commitments!!!

Last edited by Burgs; 09-12-07 at 11:07.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Matt Carroll is going to have a chat about it in at 2.30pm (Sydney time) - watch this space or Foxsport news...

Stuff seem to be ahead of the game http://www.stuff.co.nz/4317834a10.html

Last edited by no.8; 09-12-07 at 11:10.
    Brother Gallagher I hear you

vCash
    He would be a fantastic coach for the Wallabies...or any international side for that matter

vCash
    Look, everyone knows my opinion, get him a yellow tracksuit and let's get the job done, but imagine the angst in NZ about now, Deans is likely to give Henry a run for his money inside twelve months.

I only hope he is given free reign so he can clear out the crap and start with a new (his own) philosophy. Otherwise, he will just be repeating the mistakes of the past.

Make no mistake people, this is the litmus test for the ARU, if Deans is selected, and he makes wholesale changes whilst retaining the support of the board, you can be sure we're all on the same page. Anything less, and you know the same bias and rivalry exists within the board.

C'mon the

vCash
    Update- Robbie Deans to have an interview on Wednesday - Decision possible by friday

Could be interesting for the non Wallaby type Force Players - suspecting that Mitchell and Deans remained friends by having similar ideas on how the game should/could be played

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    What a salivating thought.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Well, I think everyone should know my position by now however, imagine if he doesn't get it!
    Two kicks to the coaching nuts in a couple of weeks
    That would have to smart...and fire a hatred of the Wallabies for future AB commitments!!!
    Yeah it would sting a bit, but reckon the emotional hit would only be from the Kiwi knock-back - not that I don't think he'd do a good job for the Wallabies, but the emotional investment would only come once he was in the role.

Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I only hope he is given free reign so he can clear out the crap and start with a new (his own) philosophy. Otherwise, he will just be repeating the mistakes of the past.

Make no mistake people, this is the litmus test for the ARU, if Deans is selected, and he makes wholesale changes whilst retaining the support of the board, you can be sure we're all on the same page. Anything less, and you know the same bias and rivalry exists within the board.
    Reckon he should have a good chance of being his own man - look at how delicately the ARU has managed the process in order to leave a window open for him to apply. It would imply they're very interested in what he has to offer...

Keeping the Faith ... right here in Perth!

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    imagine the angst in NZ about now, Deans is likely to give Henry a run for his money inside twelve months.
    It's gonna be so funny to read the NZ press if he does get signed up.

But, IMHO I believe that international sides should be coached by home grown talent. Nothing against Deans it's just what I think is right.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    I am with tef on this one.
    Reality is my heart says no, but head says probably a good thing...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The EnForcer View Post
    But, IMHO I believe that international sides should be coached by home grown talent. Nothing against Deans it's just what I think is right.
    Unless you are in the Six Nations?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Deans to be interviewed tonight

Rupert Guinness | December 12, 2007

Robbie Deans is almost certain to be a signature away from becoming the first foreign coach of the Wallabies after he undergoes his interview for the job in Brisbane later today.

The New Zealander has long been courted by the Australian Rugby Union to fill the shoes vacated by John Connolly after the World Cup in France.

The Canterbury Crusaders coach flew out from Christchurch to Brisbane, where the meeting will be held, as four of the six person selection panel are based there.

Deans, who missed out on the All Blacks job last Friday to Graham Henry, told reporters just before he flew out to Australia that he hoped to have the interview soon after arriving.

" I will be catching up with them tonight I think ... upon arrival," he said.

"I am going over there, [I am] interested in the role and [will] see what comes of it.

Asked if he feared a backlash from Australian media who are against the prospect of a New Zealander coaching the Wallabies he said: "I've got no idea, that's the way it is, you never have total support".

After meeting with Deans, the Wallabies coach selection panel will add their recommendations on his candidacy for the job to those of the the five Australians who were interviewed for the position on November 9.

Their final dossier will then be handed to the ARU board for review at its two-day meeting in Sydney that starts on Thursday.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Interview from 7pm till 8.30pm with a doorstop media thing - so can expect an update on Foxsports news tonight !

Even TG is not doing a book on this one !

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I'd be a passionate coach

By Laine Clark
    December 11, 2007

THE man tipped to be the first foreigner to coach Australia - New Zealander Robbie Deans - has returned fire to the critics who doubted a Kiwi would make a passionate Australian rugby coach after being interviewed for the job in Brisbane.

“I've got a passion for the game, I love this game. I love a challenge,” he said after a two-hour meeting with a five-strong Wallabies coaching selection panel.

“I really enjoy the people in the game. I probably have as many connections here as I do at home - I've been in SANZAR rugby for 11 years now.”

Deans also paid no heed to cynics describing the Wallabies job as his “second choice” after the successful Crusaders coach missed out on the All Blacks job last Friday to Graham Henry.

“Everyone is aware of that (he applied for the All Blacks job). But I want to coach at the international level,” he said.

“I believe I have done my apprenticeship. I enjoy working with people and achieving outcomes and I see a great opportunity here - I would give it 100 per cent as I always do.”

Deans said he would walk away from his Super 14 coaching job at the Crusaders if he was handed the Wallabies reins.

While the Australian Rugby Union is believed to be happy for Deans or rival candidate David Nucifora to continue coaching in the Super 14 before joining the Wallabies, the NZRU board are not expected to take a favourable view when they discuss their future on Wednesday.

Asked if he would leave the Crusaders if named Australian coach, Deans said: “Ultimately I would have to, the question is at what point.”

Deans flew in from Christchurch to face the selection panel after the ARU sought out the Kiwi almost a month after interviewing Nucifora, Ewen McKenzie, John Muggleton, Laurie Fisher and Alan Jones for the Wallabies job.

The Wallabies selection panel will add their recommendations on Deans' candidacy for the job to those of the five Australians who were interviewed for the position on November 9.

“You are never confident. You just give it your best shot, and you hope to hit the mark - I guess time will tell,” Deans said of his chances after a “thorough” interview.

“They (panel) got pretty deep. They got below the surface not only in terms of myself but also the game.”

Asked what he could bring to Australian rugby, Deans said: “Every coach hopefully makes a difference.

“My plan would be to make a positive difference. I've got ideas but I won't go into them here, I haven't got the job yet.”

The selection panel's final recommendation will be handed to the ARU board for review at a two day meeting in Sydney starting on Thursday.

AAP

Deans enthused by Wallabies post

Story by Sportal for the ARU
    Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 23:26 PM (AEST)

Crusaders coach Robbie Deans is enthusiastic about the prospect of becoming Wallabies coach after a meeting with the rugby heavyweights in Brisbane on Tuesday.

Deans missed out on the All Blacks job to incumbent Graham Henry last week but is now keen to take over the Wallabies job ahead of rivals such as Auckland coach David Nucifora and New South Wales mentor Ewen McKenzie.

"It's evident I applied for the All Black role, everyone is aware of that but I want to coach at the international level," Deans said.

"I believe I've done my apprenticeship, an 11-year apprenticeship which includes time at this level and as I alluded to before the game is about the game and the people within it and I'm hugely passionate about the game."

"I see a great opportunity here and I'd give it 100 per cent as I always do."

Legendary Wallabies such as John Eales and Stirling Mortlock have given their support to Deans, and the four-time Super rugby winning coach said he had plenty of passion for the job.

"In an ironic way, I probably have as many connections here as I have at home, I've been in SANZAR rugby for 11 years now so that's not an issue (passion)," he said.

"The questions were very thorough, they were pretty deep, they got below the surface in terms of myself and also in terms of the game, yeah the process was good."

"You're never confident, you just give it your best shot and you hope you hit the mark but I guess time will tell."

Deans said the threatened 'blackban' by the NZRU if he did accept the position was a moot point until a formal offer had been made by the Australian board.

"There are some legal parameters that will have to be resolved before we've got total clarity but most importantly the organisation needs to commit to wanting me first and foremost before any of that becomes an issue," he said.

I will give it my all, promises Deans

Rupert Guinness | December 12, 2007

ROBBIE DEANS will return home to New Zealand today as Wallabies coach in waiting after his interview with the Australian Rugby Union in Brisbane last night.

Deans sat before an ARU Wallabies coaching panel for a little more than 90 minutes and walked out declaring he had "done my apprenticeship".

The All Blacks assistant coach in 2003 reiterated he is ready to be a Test head coach and prepared to "give 100 per cent" to the Wallabies if given the job.

Deans is expected to fly back to Christchurch this morning with his future hanging on the final verdict of the ARU board that convenes for two days in Sydney from tomorrow.

After his interview last night, Deans said the questions were "thorough" and "deep" yet "not only about myself but the game".

But while guarded about overly showing optimism, his passion for the opportunity that awaits him and his desire to be a head coach at Test level was clear.

"I applied for the All Blacks role, and everyone is aware of that," he said. "But I want to coach at the international level. I have done my apprenticeship, an 11-year apprenticeship … I am extremely passionate about the game. I will give it everything … 100 per cent as I always do."

Deans said he was happy with how the interview went and stressed his belief that his 11 years in SANZAR rugby should be an asset for the Wallabies.

"You give it your best shot and you hope you did the most, but time will tell," he said.

"I have experience at every level now and you learn a lot along the way. I think I can bring that experience with me." Asked if he would change the style of the Wallabies' game if appointed coach, he said more guardedly: "Every coach makes a difference with what they bring. Hopefully, it is a positive difference."

He admitted that if successful there would be legal issues to be resolved with his New Zealand Rugby Union contract and the Canterbury Crusaders, whom he coaches. He then said there was no point trying to comment further on those issues "until it becomes a reality".

His appointment as the first foreign Wallabies coach may be rubber-stamped as early as tomorrow. At the two-day meeting at the union's Sydney headquarters in St Leonards, the ARU board will review the final recommendations of the selection panel that has now interviewed six candidates.

After accepting Deans's late expression of interest for the job on Saturday, ARU deputy chief executive Matt Carroll said on Sunday that the successful candidate could be chosen - and possibly even named - tomorrow. But if the board fails to reach a decision, any announcement may be postponed until the New Year, since the ARU offices will be closed for the Christmas period.

However, yesterday's events, when Deans flew to Brisbane straight after taking a morning training session with the Crusaders, only served to fuel the belief that he will get the job.

World Cup-winning Wallabies captain John Eales would welcome the appointment.

"If you look at his coaching record, he does stand out over all the other coaching candidates. Robbie Deans stacks up against any coach anywhere in the world," Eales said on ABC Radio.

"If somebody like that is available, it's hard to find a reason why you would not go for him. Obviously, by bringing Deans into the process, they have not been entirely comfortable they have got the best person for the job."

Wallabies legend Tim Horan, though, called on the ARU to avoid being pressured into making its final decision this week following criticism that the process has been too long and unfair.

Last night's interview was held in Brisbane because four of the six-person panel are based there. Chief executive John O'Neill did not have any role in any of the interviews because of his recovery from a recent neck operation.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.