Thread: McKenzie queries selection process

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

McKenzie queries selection process

McKenzie queries selection process

By Jim Morton (Jim has created himself a very big barrow to push on this topic and he will be up against it if Deans is actually successful)
    December 07, 2007

AUSTRALIA coaching candidate Ewen McKenzie has questioned whether Australian Rugby Union's long-winded selection process has been a meaningless "waste of time".

Waratahs coach McKenzie is one of five shortlisted Australians who now appear set to lose out to New Zealander Robbie Deans.

New Zealand's stunning decision to reappoint Graham Henry as All Blacks coach has made a disappointed Deans odds-on favourite to become the first foreigner to lead the Wallabies.

Beforehand, Auckland-based David Nucifora and broadcaster Alan Jones were seen to be the likely preferred options of the ARU ahead of McKenzie, Brumbies mentor Laurie Fisher and defence guru John Muggleton.

McKenzie said he and fellow candidates had "jumped through a lot of hoops'' and he'd given up plenty of time at the expense of himself and the Waratahs.

"At the moment you'd like to think the long-term process has been a meaningful one,'' he said. (Yes, it has. It has helped the panel decide who is the best Coach for the job.)

"It's been time consuming put it that way, away from our normal jobs ... so hopefully that process isn't just a waste of time.'' (No, it hasn't been. It has allowed the panel to find the flaws in each candidates credentials. One of yours is bitching.)

The five candidates were interviewed a month ago and the six-man selection committee's decision was slated to go before the ARU board a week later.

The board meeting was cancelled due to chief executive John O'Neill undergoing throat surgery and the coaching issue was postponed for discussion at next Thursday's meeting.

The timing of the nine-man board meeting has been perfect for O'Neill who made it known his preference was to appoint Deans to a long-term contract.

McKenzie wouldn't deny Deans the chance for a second bite at the international coaching cherry.

"You could tell quite clearly he wanted the All Blacks job and he didn't get that so I guess he's entitled to go for his plan B option,'' he said. (Welcome to Professional Sport Link, how do you think the business world operates???)

"I don't know, all I know is I did what I had to do. Everyone had to jump through various hoops and you'd like to think that had meaning.'' (If you aren't good enough then improve. And for God's sake don't jump through any hoops, Newcastle doesn't need another earthquake!)

McKenzie felt a Deans appointment would reflect poorly on the coaching system and pathways in Australian rugby. (Despite the number of Australians in prominent Coaching roles in the NH)

"We're all products of the ARU coaching system and if we all get by-passed I suppose that will be a question of whether it's getting Australia what it wants.'' (Yes, it will be won't it! We shouldn't hide that at the expense of on field results though, are you suggesting NOT appointing the best Coach Link?)

AAP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Get over it Ewen, come back when you have won something with the Tahs, or anybody.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chook View Post
    Get over it Ewen, come back when you have won something with the Tahs, or anybody.
    He could be a while Chook.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "I may be some timmme..."

Bro Town if you are wondering

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Seems ewan likens his bitchin' to all his fellow applicants, yet we only hear silence from them(apart from alan jones but that is a gimme))....Maybe they have resigned themselves to the fact the best coach available is not an Aussie, which is truly unfortunate i admit, but that is how the cookie crumbled...Maybe if you can improve the Tahs performance this year it may open a few doors, but coaching a team to second last after a buster year the year before, well it doesn't exactly scream "pick me"...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    Yeah, possibly the fact that he's a whingeing bitch is the reason the Tahs failed to go anywhere once they copped a few injuries.

C'mon the