Thread: Josh Tatupu Joins The Emirates Western Force

vCash

Josh Tatupu Joins The Emirates Western Force

Former Melbourne Storm rugby league prospect Josh Tatupu has joined the Emirates Western Force on a one year rookie contract.

The New Zealand born centre/winger plied his trade with French rugby league club SM Pia XIII in 2007, and also represented Western Samoa at international level.

He arrives in rugby union after stints with the Storm and Brisbane Norths after moving to Australia from Christchurch in 2002.

At 184cm and 102kg, the 21 year old Tatupu is described by Head Coach John Mitchell as a powerful ball carrier and hard-hitting defender.

“Josh is a big guy with a low centre of gravity, and we see him having the potential to be a damaging runner,” Mitchell said.

“The loss of Junior Pelesasa through injury means we needed to add depth in our centres, and we feel that Josh can give that to us. He’ll have a lot of work to do when he gets here, but he has the attributes to excel at this level.”

Tatupu said he was looking forward to the challenges of switching codes and the move to Western Australia.

“I’ve played rugby league for all my life, and I’m looking for a new challenge. When Mitch (John Mitchell) got in contact, I jumped at the chance,” Tatupu said.

“I can’t wait to learn from the likes of Matt Giteau, Junior Pelesasa and Scott Staniforth, and obviously Ryan Cross, who has made a terrific transition from league to rugby.”

RugbyWA...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Mitch signs Kiwi league youngster to plug gap

Monday, 03 December 2007

Western Force rugby coach John Mitchell has raided the league ranks to secure one-time Kiwis hopeful Josh Tatupu for his first Super 14 contract.

The 1.84m, 102kg centre/winger, 21, has signed a one-year deal with the Force.

He joins the Perth-based franchise after stints with the Melbourne Storm's National Rugby League (NRL) feeder club Brisbane Norths in 2006 and French club SM Pia this year.

He also represented Samoa at international level after shifting to Australia from Christchurch in 2002, the year he also played for New Zealand under-16 alongside future Kiwis Iosia Soliola and Adam Blair.

"Josh is a big guy with a low centre of gravity, and we see him having the potential to be a damaging runner," former All Blacks coach Mitchell said.

"The loss of Junior Pelesasa through injury means we needed to add depth in our centres, and we feel that Josh can give that to us.

"He'll have a lot of work to do when he gets here but he has the attributes to excel at this level."

Tatupu said he was looking forward to switching codes and the move to Western Australia.

"I've played rugby league for all my life, and I'm looking for a new challenge. When Mitch (John Mitchell) got in contact, I jumped at the chance," Tatupu said. -

NZPA

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    "Josh is a big guy with a low centre of gravity, and we see him having the potential to be a damaging runner," former All Blacks coach Mitchell said.
    Is that a nice way of saying he has a big arse??

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    another ex league player great