By Adrian Warren 19:56 AEST Mon Nov 26 2007
AAA

Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie says the southern hemisphere rugby giants have the chance to again become pioneers for the code, by accepting an invitation to trial the experimental laws in next year's Super 14 tournament.

However, Wallabies coaching aspirant McKenzie isn't sure Australia's Tri Nations partners shares enthusiasm for the laws that were also trialled in this year's inaugural Australian Rugby Championship.

A meeting of South Africa New Zealand Australia Rugby (SANZAR) officials in Sydney next week is set to discuss the topic.

The respective chief executives will ultimately decide at a later meeting whether to accept an invitation from the International Rugby Board to trial the laws in the 2008 Super competition.

McKenzie said he read that South Africa, as Super and world rugby champions, may be inclined to retain the status quo given their success under the current laws.

"Obviously when you become the world champion, you sort of become the oracle on most things, so it will be interesting to see what their position is next week," McKenzie said.

"I think the Australian position is pretty positive about the need for change, but whether that's reflected elsewhere, I don't know.

"In the early days of SANZAR, we very much pioneered some new directions of the game and actually pushed the limits of the game in terms of the laws. "There was a conscious decision made probably three or four years ago to actually realign and make sure that we are lining up with the world game.

"I think that will probably be the discussion next week, about whether we actually start pioneering again or whether we stick with the game as it is."

New Zealand had a trial this year in a secondary competition.

"Theoretically it's an advantage (to Australia), but we're not playing against people who don't know how to play the game," McKenzie said, adding that uncertainty over which laws would be used in the Super tournament had made it difficult to proceed with preparations.