Thread: Cousins - The joke that's not funny

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash

Cousins - The joke that's not funny

I thought I would put my thoughts on this under the Jokes threads as it is a joke but not the funny kind.

Well the spoilt little brat has done it again......weazeled out of facing up to his responsibilities for the umteenth time. I don't have to list his previous and well documented "indiscretions" as we all know them. As for his excuses and claims of innocense because he hasn't actually been caught, charged or tested positive..........what a joke.

And the big joke is that days before his "meeting" with the AFL board the Cousins contingent had already implied their negotiation stance, i.e. they would be willing to accept a one year ban (or sabatical, would be a more appropriate term) in return for not taking any further action. And, guess what, the AFL took it.....right up the arse from what I can see. Not only does he weazel out of a lifetime ban but he gets to play in the WAFL or the other lesser leagues for a year before he decides who he will play for. Doesn't really sound like he's banned to me or even reprimanded.

My problem with this whole debacle is that it has proved, once again, one man can be bigger than the game. The saddest thing of all is that all I hear is how harshly cousins has been treated and what people should be saying is, "get rid of the weazelly scum, I don't want him being a hero to my kids!"

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Just happy to be here

vCash
    Umm, yeah, even Wendell got 2 years out of rugby (and a fairly large don't come back) No-one in Rugby will sign him now, and even league looks doubtful. Cousins hasn't even been slapped on the wrist.

As for blaming him, well I'm over that, I honestly don't think much of it's his fault, they guy's working in a situation where everything he does is covered up. He must think that how he lives is acceptable to the majority of society (most drug addicts convince themselves of this while they're getting locked up and such) I blame the AFL now, they have failed completely to show any concern for his health at all. the only thing they are interested in doing is keeping him from playing professional footbal whilst taking token measures to protect their brand, I don't believe their stance was devised by a lawyer, rather a PR firm who have devised a way to keep him attracting crowds and loyal followers whilst the AFL gets a 'good' name in the media by 'sanctioning' a drug abuser.

The poor guy isn't going to get off the junk with this bunch of mercenary assholes as his employers.

Glad I don't watch the game!

C'mon the

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash

Thumbs down

Yes EnForcer, the whole AFL is looking like a joke at the moment.
    They won't do wide testing - so nobody (incl. Cousins) gets caught.
    When they do test, they only test for "some" performance enhancing drugs - everything else is called "recreational" and that makes it OK.

They have adopted, by tacit consent, that 'recreational drugs' are OK and just normal happy-happy joy-joy lifestyles of the rich and pampered.

Nobody seems to want to ask anyone hard questions like "who sold you these?", "who have you sold or given drugs to?". The fact that Cousins has been, and still is, involved with drugs for a long time means he associates with lots of drug dealers (criminals) and therefore the AFL seems to be saying "its OK to do Crimes and stuff - as long as you kick a footy a bit".

Some great messages to 'da yoof kultcha'. Me and mine will not be attending any Footy games.
    And I will no longer be spend my dollars at Subi Oval.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The EnForcer View Post
    I thought I would put my thoughts on this under the Jokes threads as it is a joke but not the funny kind.

Well the spoilt little brat has done it again......weazeled out of facing up to his responsibilities for the umteenth time. I don't have to list his previous and well documented "indiscretions" as we all know them. As for his excuses and claims of innocense because he hasn't actually been caught, charged or tested positive..........what a joke.

And the big joke is that days before his "meeting" with the AFL board the Cousins contingent had already implied their negotiation stance, i.e. they would be willing to accept a one year ban (or sabatical, would be a more appropriate term) in return for not taking any further action. And, guess what, the AFL took it.....right up the arse from what I can see. Not only does he weazel out of a lifetime ban but he gets to play in the WAFL or the other lesser leagues for a year before he decides who he will play for. Doesn't really sound like he's banned to me or even reprimanded.

My problem with this whole debacle is that it has proved, once again, one man can be bigger than the game. The saddest thing of all is that all I hear is how harshly cousins has been treated and what people should be saying is, "get rid of the weazelly scum, I don't want him being a hero to my kids!"
    Hear here!!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    I now feel sorry for the guy. How can he accept his problem and try to fix it when it appears that his employer has condoned his actions and after lots of huffin and puffin, done nuffin.
    The AFL had the opportunity to sort out the drug problem in their game and have chosen to side step yet again. Why should the fact that X % of the population use drugs make it ok for a number of over paid sportsmen to do it as well?
    The AFL should be standing up and accepting that they are employing Role models who young people look up to and aspire to emulate. The message the AFL is now promoting is pathetic and irresponsible and proves how out of touch with reality they are. Their message seems to be Don't get caught and for gods sake don't cost us money.

Here's a huge chance for the "minor" sports in Australia to lead the way with an issue that effects our whole society.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GiteauIsGunnaScoreTwenty View Post
    As for blaming him, well I'm over that, I honestly don't think much of it's his fault
    Of course it's his fault!

Granted he's been pandered to so much he thinks he can get away with just about any behaviour, but he makes the decisions.

The situation has not changed from what we saw yesterday either. The smug little prick still had the temerity to sit in front of the cameras and lie about his "rehabilitation", claiming that he's a long way down that road and that it's just the bastard media who have got it wrong. FFS!

The only thing he's a long way down is a slippery slope.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower
    I now feel sorry for the guy. How can he accept his problem and try to fix it when it appears that his employer has condoned his actions and after lots of huffin and puffin, done nuffin.
    I don't feel sorry for him. I really hope he can get a grip on his life, though it's not looking any more likely to me. But I can see your point. Every time there has been a whiff of scandal at WC, the compliant WA media has been treated to a festival of spin, which they've compliantly gobbled down. They are getting the same from a piss-weak AFL this time. He should have been banned indefinitely (but at least a year) from all forms of the code until such time as he can prove he's truly clean.

vCash
    It 'snot fair. As much as anything else, any normal Joe would be thrown in jail! UNFAIR PLAYER BENIFET ALERT!!!

Come to the dark side

We have milk and cookies

Prospect
    vCash
    SUCH IS LIFE

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    TOO MUCH RICE

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zin39 View Post
    SUCH IS LIFE
    Very amusing zin

Just happy to be here