Thread: Giteau becoming more pivotal

vCash

Giteau becoming more pivotal

Giteau becoming more pivotal

By Bret Harris

November 20, 2007

MATT Giteau will play five-eighth for Western Force in the Super 14 series next year, a move that could lead him to wearing the Australia No.10 jersey.

Giteau has established himself as Australia's starting inside centre over the past four years, although there was an attempt to convert him to halfback before the Rugby World Cup in France.

But there is a glaring vacancy in the key playmaking role in the team, with veteran five-eighth Stephen Larkham retiring from international rugby.

A serious hamstring injury to Force incumbent James Hilgendorf has resulted in Giteau taking over the five-eighth role in Perth. And there could be a flow-on effect to the Wallabies.

Queenslander Berrick Barnes is the current Test five-eighth, having covered admirably for the injured Larkham at the Rugby World Cup, while NSW teenager Kurtley Beale may emerge as a contender.

But many observers believe Giteau is better suited at five-eighth than in the physically confrontational midfield.

"The plan in Super 14 is to play at five-eighth, and then obviously if things go well from there maybe look to play five-eighth for the Wallabies," Giteau said.

"I just hope to be in there somewhere, but it is not really something I have thought about.

"I have only thought about Super 14 now, knowing my role here, and playing the best I can for the Force."

Giteau is known as Kid Dynamite because of his explosive running ability, but he would have to assume a greater role as a tactical decision-maker at five-eighth.

Despite his brilliance, Giteau, 25, has never been entirely comfortable with the responsibility of controlling a game, preferring the running role at inside centre.

"It's something I did struggle with," he said.

"The set-up was great for a player like Steve Larkham, who was a freak, a once-in-a-lifetime player. The way he controlled games was something special.

"Next year I'll try and keep things simple so I can play instinctively but control the game as well.

"There's not much difference between five-eighth and inside centre. The main difference is from the set piece, but in phase play the positions are similar."

Giteau attended Force pre-season training on Monday, a week ahead of schedule because of his selection for the Barbarians to play world champion South Africa at Twickenham on December 1.

He will line up alongside international stars Chris Latham, Jerry Collins, Sitiveni Sivivatu and Brian O'Driscoll in the famous invitational team.

"I'm looking forward to it," Giteau said. "There's something special about those games.

"The fact the Springboks are world champions will make the game more competitive. They will want to keep winning."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Play the kid any where thats Gits, well apart from the front row.

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Yes, cause playing him at front-row would mean shifitng AJ to the centres!

vCash
    wherever he plays hes going to be a force (sorry, i had to...)

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Well, I'm slowly getting my wishes. Shame for Hilgendorf, but I'd love to see him get a run at 12 - reckon he might have a fair bit to offer there.

vCash
    Still would rather Gits at inside centre rather than fly. Force seem to perform better in my mind when we have two first receivers. Would like to see Daruda start at fly and Gits at centre during the S14 build ups.

vCash
    weve gotta still be able to have a workable fly if gits gets injured. so we should experiment with some combinations in the lead up for sure.

vCash
    Gits isn't going to get injured!

He's too important to he Force and the Wallabies, seriously though, he's a tough boy, I haven't seen him shaky after taking some pretty big hits. I think he plays a style of game that will make him a lot more durable than (say) Bernie Larkham.

I don't mind Gits at fly if Jimmy's hurt, but Gits is far more valuable in the wide open spaces of the midfield.

C'mon the

vCash
    he will be a good 10 with staniforth and crosss inside him it will be a great backline.

gits will be marked alot more now but he will still have his line breaks and big runs in the 2nd half when the other team is asleep.

if staniforth plays at 12 like he did the first season then force might have 9,10 and 12 for the wallabies.