Thread: Super 14, 2008- The Blues

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash

Super 14, 2008- The Blues

Form from 2007
    The Blues had an excellent year in 2007 and only fell away slightly in the Super 14 to miss out on only one trophy for the year (RWC excluded). They started the season very well and never really left the top 4. Had they not lost 3 of their last 4 games they could be 4th time champions by now. This would have sat nicely in the Blues' trophy cabinent next to the Ranfurly shield and the ANZ Cup. All in all 2007 was a good year for the Blues and much better than a very shaky 2006 that saw them end the Super 14 in 8th and fail to make the ANZC finals. They have a great platform to perform in 2008 and will be there or there abouts.

Comings and Goings
    All I can say about players leaving the Blues is 'Wow, that many?'. In total 14 players of the 32 2007 squad are not in the squad for 2008. Some are retiring, some are off to Europe and some just didn't make the cut. No matter how you look at it though losing almost half your squad will hurt bad. On a positive note many of the players coming into the squad were in the Blues wider training group over the last year or so.

The major losses from the forwards include Greg Rawlinson, Ali Williams, Derren Witcombe and Angus MacDonald. The foursome all have played for the All Blacks and will test the Blues lock depth. Derren Witcombe has left due to retirement, Ali Williams due to issues between him and coach David Nucifora, while the other two are off to Europe to ply their trade.

From the backs Steve Devine, Luke McAlister, Doug Howlett and Sam Tuitupou are another four players with All Blacks experience who won't be running out for Auckland. Devine has retired due to injury while the other three are off to Europe for the big fat paycheck.

A major boost to compensate for these losses, however, has come in the form of dynamic fly-half Nick Evans. Nick is a highly talented player (and a personal favourite) who can cover almost anywhere in the backline. Despite this, he will probably end up as a fly-half (shiftly Nacewa to 12) for the Blues due to his kicking game which, from his AFL background, is to die for. If he keeps fit he will do some damage behind a powerful Blues pack.

Watch out for
    After a disappointing debut test season, Isaia Toeava really turned it up a notch this year. He was in outstanding form for the Blues and gained reselection for the All Blacks. While he did not play a huge part in their failed World Cup campaign, the young player will continue to mature and improve his skills until he fully lives up to his nickname- Iceman.

Like the Force with the Skywalkers, rugby flows through the Braid family. Brothers Daniel and Luke have come up through the NZ age grade and Auckland development systems and are big prospects. While Luke is still quite young, Daniel has had a very classy year which has seen him climb higher and higher toward All Black selection. Daniel was a part of the Blues side which won both the Ranfurly Shield and the ANZ Cup as well as co-captaining the JABs side which won the Pacific 6 Nations tournament. He has also recently been nominated for the NZ Super 14 player of the year award. He had a huge season this year, expect a mammoth season in the next.

Prospectus for 2008
    I must admit having seen all of the players leaving I had originally written off the Blues for 2008. Its going to hurt but if they can get impetus from their tried and tested front row of Afoa, Mealamu and Woodcock they can play through any grey areas they have. Right up until the season starts there will be question marks over their line-out and how well their 9/10/12 relationships work out and how well those questions will be answered will be the big decider for the Blues. In 2006 when a host of experienced players left the squad it hurt the team pretty badly (8th place finish) and I think they won the NPC that year too. Will history repeat itself? As I said earlier having written them off at first I've changed my mind and am awarding the Blues my number 2 spot.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    They are a bit of an unknown for me, purely because i felt last year that they were extremely lucky with several results. But then i guess was it really luck or just using the conditions to your favour.

They are my new "team to beat" for the force. That dodgy lineout last year at subi cut me BAADD!!! i reckon the force wouldve had a chance to beat them if it wasnt for that one lineout call.
    im picking them for 4th this year.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Welcome aboard the anti-Auckland bandwagon zim. That line-out blew, but most were already aboard after the dodgy hit on Hilgendorf in 2006 (although I know some who have been there ever since Carlos Spencer).

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    the dodgy hit on Hilgendorf in 2006
    Force had good momentum before that Tipoki hit...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Force had good momentum before that Tipoki hit...

Wasn't Tipoki playing for Highlanders when that hit was made then moved to Blues in 2007???

We were in NZ at the time so my memory is not the best.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I thought he was with the Blues and moved to the Crusaders in 2007?

vCash
    Here are the clips:

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    I stand corrected.

Was there a big hit in the Highlanders match as well the week before???

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Tipoki.....

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    ive never seen that one! c%nt!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    I stand corrected.

Was there a big hit in the Highlanders match as well the week before???
    Yes but it was Spanner who was dishing out. He copped a one match ban for a shoulder charge on Josh Blackie I think. He was pretty lucky not to see the bin at the time.

I'd personally love to see the Force give the Blues a thwocking and I think we are in a better position to do that this year than the previous two.

Legend Contributor
    vCash

Wonder if Tipoki has seen this?

Saturday 17th November 2007

Fears grow over Rougerie ruling

Damian Hopley, the chief executive of the Professional Rugby Players' Association, has warned against a "very dangerous precedent" after former England hooker Phil Greening was ordered to pay damages to an opponent over an on-field incident more than five years ago.

Greening, who earned 24 caps for his country before his retirement in 2005, was ordered to pay EUR 40,500 ($59,100) in damages to France wing Aurélien Rougerie after the Clermont star sustained a throat injury following a hand-off.

The incident came as Greening's Wasps side visited France for a pre-season match in 2002 and resulted in a civil court action against the hooker.

Rougerie, who played for France in this year's World Cup, initially sued for EUR 90,000 ($131,500) after undergoing three operations related to the injury and was awarded nearly half that sum on Friday.

Greening insists Rougerie's injury came about as the result of a fair challenge.

Hopley, who is now dealing with the case at Greening's request, told the Daily Mail that he was worried about the ramifications of the verdict.

"This is very shocking for the game - it sets a very dangerous precedent in a full-contact sport," he said.

"Because of that there is a bound to be widespread concern at this ruling.

"Having seen a video of the incident, it was a very straightforward case of a hand-off. We called Phil as soon as we heard the news and that was the first he had heard of it [the ruling].

"He has asked us to look into it as a matter of urgency."

Wasps chief executive Tony Copsey added: "We do not know the full implications for the sport but this would appear to set a dangerous precedent.

"Phil is an employee of the club. It's all quite unfortunate and complicated."

Rougerie's lawyer, Jean Portejoie, said: "The court has given a very strong sign. As far as I am aware this is a first for this type of affair."

Planet-Rugby

vCash
    Oh sh*t, you can bet that is gonna change the game for sure....F***ing lawyers....
    I would like to see the footage and see if there was any malicious intent, but from the sounds of it it would seem nothing untoward took place, just another facet of the game...The french pansie should've play horseshoes if he didn't want to get hurt, pussy...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Hey ease up Frontrow. Those Horseshoes can do some damage

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.