Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Super 14, 2008- Waratahs

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash

Super 14, 2008- Waratahs

Form from 2007
    "Falling off a ladder into a well" is the best analogy I can think of for the Tah's 2007 season. From finalists in 05 and a very narrow semi-finals loss in 06 to scrapping it out to stay off the bottom with the Reds in 07. What will 2008 bring? Yes, injuries were a factor this year but the Tahs will want to change their game plan a fair bit if they want to get ahead in 08. Thankfully Todd Louden joins the squad and will hone a backline with some great talent. In the recent MARC, NSW stood tall with all three teams competing for the finals right up until the last and with the Rays winning the tournament. Double points for the fact that the 3 teams were significantly watered down.

Comings and Goings
    The Waratahs are losing a fair few members of the backline in Josh Holmes, Peter Hewat, Morgan Turinui and Chris Siale. They'll be missing the experience of Hewat/Turinui and the raw talent of Holmes and Siale. The loss of Holmes is a particular concern for NSW. Despite having 3 perfectly good scrum-halves, you can't afford to let someone of that kind of talent slip through your fingers. With Jared Waerea Hargreaves also joining league due to a dysfunctional apprenticeship system changes need to be made!

On the inputs side, league star Timana Tahu joins the squad as a likely inside centre. Whether this investment pays off or not is a real poser. History tells us leaguies don't make good 12s because they can't really read the game. Another con is that, as well as being a friend of Lote's, he has a bad attitude for a professional sportsman. First he knocks union a week before signing with the Tahs and then when he knows he's going to leave league he picks up a suspension- I don't doubt he'll make a bad name for himself quickly. Luke Burgess, one of the Rebels star players, comes in for Josh Holmes as a scrumhalf. This eases the damage re Holmes' departure.

Keep an eye on
    Alex Kanaar missed out on almost all of the rugby this year through injury but last year proved he is Wallaby in waiting with great skill at the breakdown and a powerful ball running ability. He will work well with Vickerman (who will also be back) and bring a hard edge back to the Tah's pack. Let's just hope he can stay injury free.

In the backs Kurtley Beale will be having a 'make or break' season. Beale had a baptism of fire in Super 14 starting after just a few games and then being demoted to the bench half way through the season. He's had a great season with the Rams, however, and will be better conditioned for 2008. Louden's influence may just make it an exciting season for the youngster. Beale has a fantastic ability, like Latham, to make a try from nothing yet to become a brilliant fly-half he will need to learn the art of 'constructing' a try like Larkham does and put others in try scoring positions.

Prospectus for 2008
    The Waratahs will definitely have a distinctly better season in 2008. A year of experience in the backs and a new coach will make them more dangerous- something lacking in '07. For the forwards injuries to Kanaar, Vickerman and Waugh tested their depth a bit but fit and firing they will lead a more dominant pack. Its anyone's guess who will be playing in the halves but whoever is there will do the job. Even though they did do badly in 2007 the only teams that outclassed them were the Blues, Sharks and Brumbies so if they can win those other tight ones this year they'll be laughing. Expect improvements, expect 7th.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    13th spot definitely, 12th spot maybe. Kurtley's chip kick will be good for about 3 tries all season. The Daniel Halangahu dummy pass right/ step combo will be good for 1 try, most likely against the Lions.

2Dads will be shiiitin' bricks with double Leaguie's watching his back and will fire up on most occasions except when he really needs to step up. Even money on whether or not he will try a quick tap all season.

Big Gay Al will pwn the opposition until he runs into a stray sandy pothole at some dodgy ground in the pre-season.

True story.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James;90054[B
    Prospectus for 2008[/B]
    The Waratahs will definitely have a distinctly better season in 2008. .
    couldnt get any worse than 2007!!!

<>

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    On the money again James, you're on a roll

All Tah bashing aside for a brief moment, their first pick team is a strong unit with plenty of International experience, especially in the Forwards.
    That said, some of the fringe players are reasonably fragile and some of the better future players will be continued to be benched for incumbent gumps, read Freier, Dunning, Baxter for starters.
    Link will put his faith in them though and I would suggest that (assuming he doesn't get the ARU gig) he will want to watch his back if he goes a second year too far from Finals action. I think if they finish further than a match out he should dust off his resume` again.

My assumed first choice Link XV with a few in blue that I would have picked instead:

1. Alastair Baxter Benn Robinson
    2. Adam Freier Tatafu Polota-Nau
    3. Matt Dunning Jeremy Tilse
    4. Alex Kanaar
    5. Daniel Vickerman (C)
    6. Rocky Elsom
    7. Phil Waugh (C)
    8. Wycliff Palu/David Lyons*

9. Brett Sheehan Luke Burgess
    10. Kurtley Beale
    11. Lote Tuqiri
    12. Timana Tahu Tom Carter
    13. Ben Jacobs
    14. Lachlan Turner Timana Tahu
    15. Sam Norton-Knight Lachlan Turner

16. Tatafu Polota-Nau Adam Freier
    17. Benn Robinson Matt Dunning
    18. Will Caldwell Ben Mowen
    19. David Lyons/Wycliff Palu* Beau Robinson
    20. Josh Valentine Brett Sheehan
    21. Daniel Halangahu Sam Norton-Knight
    22. Ben Batger Sam Norton-Knight

*Palu and Lyons are a toss of the coin for mine but I wouldn't have the other on the bench.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Thanks for your wrap up James and your additions Burgs. They do seem to have a fairly solid core of players with some youngsters coming along. I do rate S N-Knight, and think he will improve

vCash
    Like the reds,I think the Tahs have more wrong than just injuries, I've said it before, well managed teams don't suffer when the injuries come.They're not nearly as bad as the reds,but if they get anywhere above 11th I'll be surprised. I'll say 12 to pick a number!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post

That said, some of the fringe players are reasonably fragile and some of the better future players will be continued to be benched for incumbent gumps, read Freier, Dunning, Baxter for starters.
    Couldn't have put it better myself

vCash
    i think the reds will give the Tahs a run for their money this year... not sure if they will both get above 10 though
    id put my best position for the tahs at 10.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    On the money again James, you're on a roll

All Tah bashing aside for a brief moment, their first pick team is a strong unit with plenty of International experience, especially in the Forwards.
    Link will put his faith in them though and I would suggest that (assuming he doesn't get the ARU gig) he will want to watch his back if he goes a second year too far from Finals action. I think if they finish further than a match out he should dust off his resume` again.

My assumed first choice Link XV with a few in blue that I would have picked instead:

1. Alastair Baxter Benn Robinson (C)
    2. Adam Freier Tatafu Polota-Nau (C)
    3. Matt Dunning Jeremy Tilse (C)
    4. Alex Kanaar (C)
    5. Daniel Vickerman (C)
    6. Rocky Elsom (C)
    7. Phil Waugh (C)
    8. Wycliff Palu/David Lyons* (C)

9. Brett Sheehan Luke Burgess (C)
    10. Kurtley Beale (C)
    11. Lote Tuqiri (C)
    12. Timana Tahu Tom Carter (C)
    13. Ben Jacobs (C)
    14. Lachlan Turner Timana Tahu (C)
    15. Sam Norton-Knight Lachlan Turner (C)

16. Tatafu Polota-Nau Adam Freier (C)
    17. Benn Robinson Matt Dunning (C)
    18. Will Caldwell Ben Mowen (C)
    19. David Lyons/Wycliff Palu* Beau Robinson (C)
    20. Josh Valentine Brett Sheehan (C)
    21. Daniel Halangahu Sam Norton-Knight (C)
    22. Ben Batger Sam Norton-Knight (C)

*Palu and Lyons are a toss of the coin for mine but I wouldn't have the other on the bench.
    Not enough captains Burgs. Let me adjust it for you.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    See, you Tah buggers are colour blind!
    One is who I would have (Vicks) and the other who they will probably go for (Cro Magnon Man).
    But going on last year you are probably right, nearly all of them did!
    Not sure why I picked Two-Dads twice though, he's not that good!
    Make that Alfi Mafi for development, can't be bothered getting the poofy blue list up again, it gives me indigestion...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Alfi has some toe to burn, likes his hair a bit too much though. What is it about pro footballers and obsession with weird hair?

Gigsa made me do it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chook View Post
    13th spot definitely, 12th spot maybe. Kurtley's chip kick will be good for about 3 tries all season. The Daniel Halangahu dummy pass right/ step combo will be good for 1 try, most likely against the Lions.

2Dads will be shiiitin' bricks with double Leaguie's watching his back and will fire up on most occasions except when he really needs to step up. Even money on whether or not he will try a quick tap all season.

Big Gay Al will pwn the opposition until he runs into a stray sandy pothole at some dodgy ground in the pre-season.

True story.
    As long as they beat Queensland Chook, that's all that matters.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I heard the Waratahs were going to introduce a quota system (like SA has) to encourage more latin american players in the team and aid with the 'transformation' in NSW. Anyone know anything about that?

vCash
    Yeah, I've seen the quota list it looks like this
    Latin American rugby stars - 2
    Latin American league stars - 2
    Chinese - 1
    Aboriginal -2
    Middle Eastern Leaguies - 1 (Hoping to get Hazem Al-Masri)
    Traditional Rugby WASP development material - 2
    Remainder - anybody who has played for the Cockroaches.

They're also trying to preserve the NSW Club scene by limiting the number of League players in their roster.

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GiteauIsGunnaScoreTwenty View Post
    They're also trying to preserve the NSW Club scene by limiting the number of League players in their roster.
    Better than their last attempt at preserving the club scene by freezing it in carbonite. Didn't work for Han Solo didn't work for NSW. When will they ever learn?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast