Thread: NZ opens gate for Deans and Jones

vCash

NZ opens gate for Deans and Jones

NZ opens gate for Deans and Jones

Bret Harris | November 16, 2007

ARU chief executive John O'Neill has almost certainly lost his preferred candidate for the Wallabies coaching job, Robbie Deans, after the NZRU decided yesterday to call for applications for the All Blacks position.

Robbie Deans, almost certainly lost for the Wallabies coaching job. Picture: Herald NZ
    Deans, who had been courted by O'Neill for the Wallabies, is expected to secure the All Blacks job. This would open the way for former Australia coach Alan Jones to make a spectacular comeback with the national team in an Alex Ferguson-style managerial role with David Nucifora or Ewen McKenzie working under him.

New Zealand's decision to call for applications follows a review into the performance of the All Blacks' coaching team of Graham Henry and his assistants Steve Hansen and Wayne Smith at the World Cup in France.

The NZRU board had the power to re-appoint Henry, but the fact it did not suggests he is no longer required after the All Blacks' loss to France in the World Cup quarter-finals.

Henry said yesterday he would decide later this month whether to stand again.

In any event, Deans, the highly successful Crusaders coach, would be favoured to win a contest against Henry or Hansen.

While Deans appears to be out of the Wallabies' race, the ARU will not make a decision on the coach until O'Neill returns to work next month after recovering from neck surgery.

There is a theory New Zealand's contestable process is only a smokescreen and that Henry will be duly re-appointed, which is another reason for O'Neill to wait before making a decision.

An ARU selection panel has already interviewed a short list of candidates in Jones, Nucifora, McKenzie, Laurie Fisher and John Muggleton. Only Jones, Nucifora and McKenzie have a real chance of getting the job.

Nucifora was originally regarded as favourite among the Australian contenders because of his hard-nosed approach, but it is believed McKenzie is winning support for his measured approach.

But while Jones, 66, has not coached the Wallabies for 20 years, he is believed to be firming for a return to the position because of his motivational and organisational skills and his enormous capacity to attract media attention to the game.

Jones has already indicated he could adopt a Ferguson-style role with a couple of coaches working beneath him.

It may come down to which one of Nucifora and McKenzie is the more compatible with Jones, who has flagged he only wants the job for a year.

NZRU rugby committee chairman Mike Eagle said the review was productive and thorough and the committee had a full, frank and fair discussion with the All Blacks' coaches and management.

"Notwithstanding the disappointment of losing at the quarter-final stage of Rugby World Cup 2007, the board concluded that the coaches' performances in 2007 were very positive, as they had been throughout the term of their appointment," Eagle said.

Eagle pointed out that under the four-year reign of Henry, Hansen and Smith, the All Blacks won 42 of 48 Test matches and achieved a series win against the Lions and a grand slam in 2005, retained the Bledisloe Cup in all four years and achieved Tri- Nations titles in 2005, 2006 and 2007.

The All Blacks were also unbeaten at home and, before the World Cup quarter-final, had been unbeaten in Europe.

The NZRU will now write to all eligible coaches inviting them to apply. Applications close on Monday, November 26.

Henry said the coaching panel understood the board's decision to ask for applications.

"All three of us will take time to think about the next steps and we'll have a decision on the 26th," Henry said.

Additional reporting: Agencies

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Deanes v Jones + Nucifora/McKenzie... is there a third option

If what our current players need most to perform at International standard is motivation or organisation then we may as well just pull up stumps and give up.
    I can't believe they are still entertaining the possibility of this has-been twat being the best option to lead, mold and represent Australian Rugby Coaching.
    In my best McEnroe voice "YOO CARRN'T BE SEERIOUSSS?!?!?!"

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Surely Burgs, AJs not that bad..or is he? I just wonder how much attention he's been giving rugby since he's left. He's had 20 years worth of "watching rugby" (if he's even bothered to do that) without having a outlet to test his theories/assumptions. I know he's accomplished much in the past but I would tend to think that recent coaching exposure (even if only U-12s) would be a vital check box item.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Deanes v Jones + Nucifora/McKenzie... is there a third option

If what our current players need most to perform at International standard is motivation or organisation then we may as well just pull up stumps and give up.
    I can't believe they are still entertaining the possibility of this has-been twat being the best option to lead, mold and represent Australian Rugby Coaching.
    In my best McEnroe voice "YOO CARRN'T BE SEERIOUSSS?!?!?!"
    entirely agree Burgs

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Think you have pretty much answered your own question for me KQ, to me that is exactly the point.
    This is a National team, not something to dabble with or try a theory out with.
    Perhaps we should find out if Tony Robbins has ever played Rugby, he's meant to be the King of motivational speaking, bring Alan Pease in to improve their body language, that'll win a World cup....excuse me while I just go vomit

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    permission for an up & under granted

vCash
    I've got lots of theories stored up after my 20 years of watching rugby, maybe I should apply!

Of course,I'm yet to coach a team that's allowed to tackle, and I think I'd be more comfortable actually on the field 5m behind the ball calling each play,but I've got more recent experience than AJ.

C'mon the