Thread: Phil "gus" Goulds opinion re AJ for coach...

vCash

Phil "gus" Goulds opinion re AJ for coach...

Seems the choice of a new Wallabies coach is receiving opinions from outside the code itself...This is a pretty good account of why i feel AJ could do the job...

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...329569770.html

I know that he isn't the popular choice but you can guarantee he would get the job done one way or another...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    Jeez, AJ could be the first player-coach of any international rugby side!!!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    GO AJ>>>>GO AJ>>>>>

AJ WHALLEY ---- He's our man.......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    GO AJ>>>>GO AJ>>>>>

AJ WHALLEY ---- He's our man.......
    If he can't do it.....

Maybe a Kiwi can.....!!!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Hows that even.....a Mungo coach from Sydney has the good oil on AJ......

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Don't you mean EX coach

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    And there's the problem. While Australian rugby copies everyone else, they will always be chasing.

If we do things exactly the same way as we've been doing them, we will get the same disappointing results.

Two of the wisest comments I've heard in relation to the Wallabies for a long time.......and they came from Gus Gould, anyone who's heard a channel nine rugby commentary knows, he doesn't usually display a mensa-esque intellect!

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    No particular argument with the second point, but the first is just crap - by that argument, no-one should look to the Aussie cricket team/structure for hints on how to get it right. There is no problem copying what other teams do, so long as you understand what you are copying, why you need it and are sure it will complement your own structure.

I also disagree with his statement that "The game has become far too technical, too programmed and, as a result, terribly boring. Tries are not important." It is because tries are so important that defenses have become almost impenetrable and tries so extraordinarily difficult to come by. It seems be be accepted wisdom that rugby is therefore "boring", despite it growing in leaps and bounds everywhere but in Aus/NZ.

But what the hell, bring on unstructured rugby. I just hope we score more tries than they put through us, and everyone will be understanding if a dour structured defense, a bunch of kicking and maybe a couple of turn-overs or intercepts knocks us over. At least the players will be enjoying themselves...we'll be the new Fiji!

vCash
    Oh, OK, I took the statement to mean blindly copying structure, not getting hints. I'm a firm believer that you shouldn't clone another team's structure unless all of your athletes are bigger, stronger and faster than theirs, otherwise you're setting up a straight match up on those terms with a team that is better drilled than you (since they had to play at least one game more than you for you to copy it)

But getting ideas on ASPECTS ofplay is a totally different situation. ie we need to get the ball to our wingers more often, how do the all blacks seem to get it there all the time?

C'mon the