Thread: Good luck to the new boss - and here's a hot tip or two

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Good luck to the new boss - and here's a hot tip or two

Good luck to the new boss - and here's a hot tip or two

John Connolly | November 11, 2007

The Australian Rugby Union has yet to name the next Wallabies coach, but one thing is certain: whoever gets the job will be confronted with many challenges.

Laurie Fisher, Alan Jones, Ewen McKenzie, John Muggleton and David Nucifora all filed into ARU headquarters on Friday - and all five have legitimate claims.

Muggleton is a proven coach in his own right. Nucifora has had success with the Brumbies and the Auckland Blues. McKenzie has built a reputation for developing a strong player culture within his team. Fisher is well respected as a coach by players. Jones, out of the game for 20 years, had great success when he last had the chance.

There will be many issues for the successful candidate. I have put forward a series of recommendations:

■ We should continue to use a training squad system of 32 players, as next year, particularly, will be difficult, with the Wallabies on the road from June 1 to the end of November, upwards of 20 weeks.

■ The national forwards coach and the assistant need to work closely with the states on the core issues, the scrum and lineout. We won't have a strong Wallabies scrum until we have strong state scrums.

■ A national scrum school should be set up, for established props and also for the younger players. I would say for all tight five players, we need to build the unit not just the platform. Burgs.

■ The strength and conditioning between the states and the national coach need to be closely linked, particularly the 40-odd players contracted to the ARU.

■ A national backs coach and defence coach need to have regular meetings with the states.

■ There is a strong argument for a national kicking coach, according to feedback during the Super 14 season.

■ The national doctor must have control over all contracted players so they are fit to play for Australia from June onwards.

■ The Australian Rugby Championship must continue in some form. We have seen massive benefits this year and it is perhaps the greatest thing that has happened in Australian rugby since the game went professional.

■ The support of the press and former players is important. Criticism is not a problem but it needs to be balanced.

I believe these recommendations can be implemented without stifling the creativity of the state coaches.

There are plenty of positives: NSW and Queensland, last and second-last in the Super 14, have many young players and will finish closer to first than last next year. The Force and the Brumbies will also improve dramatically.

All the forwards who played in the recent World Cup will be available for the next one and there is a lot of backline talent coming through.

World rugby is moving forward at a tremendous rate.

All countries and coaches have tremendous facilities and Australia have to fully utilise their smaller playing numbers and get everything right.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Why does he start making sense now??

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I was wondering too TIF, until he finally blew it by saying ALL the Forwards from this world cup would be available for NZ.
    Obviously he still doesn't see the fault being there.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    I was wondering too TIF, until he finally blew it by saying ALL the Forwards from this world cup would be available for NZ.
    Obviously he still doesn't see the fault being there.
    Just because they are "available" does not mean they will be playing.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    No, but he is obviously portraying it as a positive, otherwise it would be better left unsaid.
    I'm tipping about half will manage to make it to the 2011 Squad, if even that many.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.