Thread: Super 14, 2008- Crusaders

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash

Super 14, 2008- Crusaders

Form from 2007
    The name Crusaders speaks for itself in Super rugby. In past years the Crusaders have almost always been in the final four and have 6 titles to show for it. You wouldn't discuss next years finalists without throwing their name in the ring. They'll be disappointed with their semi-final knock out in season 07 and will be looking to clinch another in 08. On the domestic front, Canterbury have been knocked out of the ANZC in the quarter finals (again) however Graham Henry has done the Crusaders a big favour forcing up the young talent with the All Blacks resting (my my my wasn't that a big waste). They'll not be too short of depth in 2008.

Comings and Goings
    Robbie Deans will be sorry to see Aaron Mauger and Chris Jack leaving on a jet plane. The pair have been the experienced go to men of the Crusaders team over the last few seasons and won't be easy to replace. Johnny Leo'o, who had the unenviable role of Richie McCaw's understudy, and Kevin O'Neill are both departures from the back row. Rico Gear is off to Europe as well and, despite being a very talented and experienced winger, won't be too hard to replace.

Ex-Blue Ali Williams and Ex-leaguie Brad Thorn are the new faces in the Crusaders line up to sure up the losses in the 2nd and back rows. Thorn is having another stint with union having already represented the All Blacks and will probably end up at blindside flank. After burning a fair few bridges at the Blues, Ali Williams will fit into Chris Jack's place as the premier lock in for the Crusaders. McCaw at least will be thankful his head won't get stamped on again any time soon.

Depending on who becomes the next All Blacks coach, the Crusaders could see a change in coach. Should Robbie Deans vacate the position, it is likely that Mark Hammett will replace him.

Who to watch out for
    Stephen Brett will be aiming to produce the same kind of stellar form he showed last year and avoid the dreaded 'second year syndrome'. How Deans uses Carter and Brett at 10/12 will say a lot about how the Crusaders will play next year. Deans has hinted at using Carter at 12 which will give him the opportunity to reverse his average form from this year.

For those who remember this year's Force vs Crusaders match you'll cringe at name Mose Tuiali'i. Mose (no 8) is a devastating runner and did real damage to us off the back of the scrum. Previous to the Crusaders match we had the best defense in the competition, but with Henjak out the 8/9/10 channel was open season for Tuiali'i. Unlucky to get an All Blacks call up this year, you can expect a big season from him in 2008.

Prospectus for 2008
    The Crusaders have an undeniable pedigree in Super 14 and any player losses are catered for. This year the Crusaders made the finals despite having 7 players out for 7 weeks. In 2008, expect a dominant and mobile pack that will win plenty of possession for some class backs. The only questions marks the remain are over that 10/12 area. Anyone would be a fool to write them off for the finals. I'm going to anyway and tag them with 5th place.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    More top shelf James

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    good stuff james.......cant wait for super 14, 2008 western force instalment...

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I was hoping to save it for last but temptation is eating away....

vCash
    Stay strong James..............do the rest of the also ran's before the Force

vCash
    Well, for mine the only word to use when talking crusaders is pedigree, you'd have to tip them top four even if Deans does leave to lead the All Blacks.

They just seem to be so good at developing, or purchasing the right talent and then getting the most out of it! I'm going to say Third!

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Without Chris Jack and Aaron Mauger the Crusaders have a feel of missing something this year and surely by now all of the rabbits in Robbie Deans hat must have been used up. I see the Crusaders next year as being not quite 'clicked into place' and, while being exceptionally talented, predictable.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Without Chris Jack and Aaron Mauger the Crusaders have a feel of missing something this year and surely by now all of the rabbits in Robbie Deans hat must have been used up. I see the Crusaders next year as being not quite 'clicked into place' and, while being exceptionally talented, predictable.
    Im happy with your summation James, but quality comes through. Crusaders 2

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing