IRFU commences World Cup review

The Irish Rugby Football Union has commenced a review of the Irish team's performances at Rugby World Cup 2007.

The IRFU Committee has set up a Review Group to manage the process and present their findings to be evaluated before any decisions are taken.

The IRFU has employed an independent consultant to carry out a detailed fact finding exercise through confidential consultation with involved parties.

Team management, coaches, players and administrators will all be canvassed.

Players will be surveyed by means of confidential questionnaires and interviews and all relevant information gathered.

Ireland failed to qualify from their World Cup Pool after losing to France and Argentina and struggling to beat Namibia and Georgia.

"This will be a very thorough procedure, designed to professionally and methodically assess performance in all aspects of our preparation and participation in RWC 2007 and to identify lessons to be learnt in the future," said IRFU Chief Executive Philip Browne.

this was what people were talking about in Ireland - first article that I have found - don't know is any truth in this article and the rumours that were being banded about were far worse but the rumour mill was saying that the team turned on him - all because of this article - or something else ?

'Despicable' rumours anger O'Gara

Ronan O'Gara has described allegations that he has had gambling and marital problems as "despicable".

In answer to reports that appeared in the French media on Wednesday 20th of September , O'Gara denied he has accumulated large debts through betting on horse racing.

O'Gara, part of Ireland's struggling World Cup team, also rubbished rumours he has separated from his wife Jess.

"The most important thing is that people who know me realise there is no truth in these stories," said O'Gara.

The 30-year-old added: "It was difficult for a day or two after these stories came out.

"I'll be seeking advice to find out what is the best way for my wife and I to deal with the stories.

It was said in L'Equipe that I owed 300,000 euros. That's a load of nonsense

Ronan O'Gara

"The gambling affront doesn't bother me because I'll say it straight up - I do back horses and do it frequently.

"I own racehorses and have placed bets since I was 18.

"It was said in L'Equipe that I owed 300,000 euros. That's a load of nonsense."

The Munster and Lions fly-half said he was "disappointed" by the claim that he has a "troubled marriage".

"It's not for me to say I have a perfect marriage.

"Like everyone else little things happen but that's behind closed doors at home.

"I love my wife and she loves me, that's all I can say on the matter.

Ronan has coped very well with the pressure

Ireland coach Eddie O'Sullivan

"There have been rumours about me going around for a year now. The only good thing is that it's all come out and has now been put to bed.

"It's been despicable. Talk about disputes in your marriage and being told you've been kicked out of your own home is the lowest of the low."

O'Gara made little impression during Friday night's 25-3 defeat by France but Ireland coach Eddie O'Sullivan denied the off-field distractions are affecting his form.

O'Sullivan said: "Ronan has coped very well with the pressure. People will look at his performance against France and probably point the finger at him.

"For Ronan to play in a good zone he needs a good flow of possession.

"One of our key sources of possession last night wasn't the best part of our game, so you have to factor that into his performance."