Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Death Knell Tolls For Cousins

vCash
    Send him with Sailor and the rest of them and let them smoke, pop pills or do whatever they do. Simpson Desert sounds good?.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Police bungle won't save Cousins
    Courtney Walsh | November 14, 2007
    http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...0-2722,00.html

BEN COUSINS' career is no closer to being resurrected despite police dropping the final traffic charge against the exiled Eagle following his dramatic arrest in Northbridge last month.

Cousins, 29, who is in hiding after returning from the United States following an alleged cocaine overdose, has avoided any legal consequences on a technicality after embarrassed West Australian police yesterday admitted to a procedural mistake in laying a charge that he refused a driver assessment.

A count of possessing a prohibited drug was dropped last month after another police mistake.

While Cousins' lawyer Shane Brennan said his client was relieved by the decision, he described the circumstances of the arrest, charging and subsequent termination of the player's contract with the Eagles as farcical.

"A debacle is a fair comment, a debacle with horrible consequences," Brennan said.

The latest bungling led to claims in Perth yesterday that Cousins, who faces a charge of bringing the game into disrepute at an AFL commission meeting in Melbourne on Monday, could challenge that count and West Coast's decision to sack him.

However, the resolve of West Coast and the AFL has not weakened.

Leading Perth lawyer Tom Percy said he believed the league would struggle to prove Cousins had behaved in a manner that breached AFL player rule 1.6 and AFL regulation 1.6.

"It would be difficult to prove now because the charges have evaporated," Percy told Perth radio.

AFL spokesman Patrick Keane said the decision by Perth police would have no bearing on Monday's meeting.

"No, not at all," Keane said.

Cousins, who is yet to be de-listed by West Coast despite the club's decision to sack him, is expected to appear at the commission meeting with his father, Bryan, and his lawyer David Grace QC.

The Australian reported yesterday that the Cousins team lodged medical documents with the AFL on Monday in relation to his substance addiction, although a league spokesman refused to confirm or deny this.

It is believed Cousins will deny he wilfully sought to damage the reputation of the game.

West Coast yesterday reiterated its position that Cousins' legal issues were not the main reason for sacking him.

"This development does not change the club's position or the decision made to terminate Ben's contract because of repeated and serious breaches of his agreement with the club," Eagles spokesman Gary Stocks said.

"At the time the decision to terminate Ben's contract was made, it was emphasised that the decision was not dependent upon results of the police charges and that remains the situation."

Sydney coach Paul Roos, who urged the AFL not to ban the Eagle for life, said on Monday Cousins deserved the chance to revive his career in 2009.

However, Western Bulldogs' Jason Akermanis indicated yesterday that a comeback may not be possible.

"He has a pretty bad addiction," Akermanis said.

"If he plays footy again, I think that would be a pretty big effort.

"(If) you come back after two knees, like Luke Darcy did last year, can you imagine the mental side of that?

"And that is a body issue."

He said although he was unaware of the specifics of Cousins' situation, he did not subscribe to the theory that people should be completely sympathetic to him.

"With Ben's situation ... well, the dude had a choice," Akermanis said.

"He had a choice all those years ago, with whatever he was doing all those years ago.

"You get sympathy, but you don't get a lot of sympathy from other players because the temptresses are everywhere."

A three-time premiership star with Brisbane, Akermanis said he was amazed by the scandal-plagued year of the Eagles, with the club's off-field antics the subject of an AFL investigation led by retired Victorian Supreme Court judge William Gillard QC.

West Coast has also announced its own investigation, headed by former WA deputy premier Edith Cowan and KPMG chairman of partners Steve Scudamore.

"I'd be really interested to see what a report says out of that place. Where did it all go wrong?" Akermanis said.

"I think it's been interesting to see a club so mighty (with) its culture, it's interesting how it's all happened, even with the (Chris) Mainwaring stuff.

"I don't think you can really get a grapple on it because here (in Melbourne), and where I was (in Brisbane), it was so different, but it just seems amazing."

Couldn't they find someone other than Jason Akermanis to get an opinion from? The guys not exactly known as a Rhodes Scholar.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Edith Cowan is going to do a mighty job to be able to head the Eagles investigation!!!
    I think they may have meant Hendy...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    No Burgs, I think they should go with Edith. At least she won't talk to any media...

vCash
    Her lack of bias in this investigation would also be an advantage.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Having known Hendy I think both of your points are in good hands

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Counsins Banned for 12 months

From www.foxsports.com.au

Cousins banned for 12 months

November 19, 2007 DISGRACED footballer Ben Cousins has been suspended by the AFL for 12 months.

Cousins was found guilty after a seven hour hearing in front of the AFL commission of conduct unbecoming and likely to prejudice the interest of the AFL and bringing the game into disrepute.

Cousins was sacked by West Coast last month after being arrested by Western Australia police on two drug related charges, which were subsequently dropped.

The league, however, has given him an opportunity to return to football, saying he can apply for the 2008 draft to play in the 2009 season if he fulfils certain criteria.

Cousins apologised for his behaviour and admitted his drug addiction.

“I'd like to address the fact I am overcoming drug addiction which is an ongoing process,” he read from a statement.

“I'd like to apologise to the AFL, its players and supporters for the embarrassment my conduct has caused.

“I am a lot further down the road to recovery than has been portrayed in the media.

“I am bitterly disappointed I cannot continue to play football but that's not to say I have given up hope of doing so in the future.”

He thanked the AFL Commission for a fair hearing. Cousins was supported by his father Bryan and mother Steph when he read the statement.

AFL chairman Mike Fitzpatrick said it was “a sad day.”

vCash
    For f***s sake....

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2